What was your Military Occupation? Did you like it? What were the pros and cons?
Create Post

What was your Military Occupation? Did you like it? What were the pros and cons?

The title pretty much says it all! Just curious on personal experiences in certain MOS

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I saw your other post re MOS and what transpired is due to a tremendous generation gap that cannot be bridged by any means. But, to answer your question, and address that other thread too, and what was said, in my day we had no choice as to MOS, except Aviation Guaranteed. We took Classification Tests in boot camp and those scores plus the ever-present Needs of The Corps determined what MOS we would be handed. We had no say in the matter. And that being the case, it completely eliminated any kind of anxiety, concerns, desires etc. We joined to become Marines, we naturally would rather have some job we liked, but we joined anyway, MOS unseen and unknown.

Now, to answer your question. I was given MOS 2571 (now it's called 2621), Morse Code Intercept Operator, and it was the best job I ever had, no exceptions, before or after the Corps. Top secret clearance, stationed in Puerto Rico on a small Navy base for the last 2 years of my 4 year enlistment. I have never had as much enjoyment in a job as copying code. And all my USMC buddies say the same thing. We keep in touch almost every day, and we all agree on that.

So, one moral of this story is, that you will not know, and in some cases cannot possibly know, whether you will like a particular MOS or not. You may be pleasantly surprised to find out, hey, this is cool. And, about pushing papers, in the Corps and in life in general, there will be a lot of paper pushing no matter your MOS or job in life. You may even say to yourself, hey, this is better than being a roofer on a day when it's 100 degrees.

So, be open to things. Don't feel like you have to know all there is about MOSs before you even join up. True, nowadays you have some say in the matter. Is that good? Not necessarily. Look at the anxiety it causes. Not just for you----read countless other threads in Ask A Marine. Some almost literally wonder what they'll be doing the morning of September 20th, 2020.

Good luck. Not everyone will respond here as to what MOS they had or if they liked it or not. Some just are not participants here in this section or in other sections of the forums. But please keep us posted on this same thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'll go. My initial MOS was 3531, motor vehicle operator. I did not like the MOS as I was not really mechanically inclined. However, having said that, the time I spent as a 3531 opened some opportunities and experiences that I probably would never have had otherwise. I was lucky in that, other 3531's did not have the same opportunities.

My second MOS was 5811, military police. This one I chose and I liked it very much. It led me to my civilian career as a police officer.

went in the Corps under the combat of arm program with a $2500 bonus for being in that program, 0331 was my primary Machine gunner, then was given a secondary of 8531 Primary Marksmanship inst. after my deployment and was stationed at Quantico VA. then was sent to Panama Barracks Duty.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Good thread not just for the OP but for any other folks that would like to know about various MOSs, etc. I hope this thread stays active, lots of info and ideas available for others to read and think about.

I enlisted as an 0311 and received the $2,500 Combat Arms bonus. Was initially stationed at Camp Pendleton with 2/7, the transferred to L 3/4 Okinawa and participated in Team Spirit '78 in South Korea. Spent a lot of time in the field and on several ships.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post

Good thread
    not just for the OP

but for any other folks that would like to know about various MOSs, .

I hope this thread stays active,

lots of info and ideas available for others to read and think about.*
    Shirley - you jest.
    Deep in your heart , and at the top of your memory
    you know the next 2000 wannabes' comes in here
    is going to ask the same question -

and not do a lick of research
    on previous threads or past posts....

"Just Sayin' "

I could only pass the infantry exam....Click on to make larger.14720477_938302342940294_6033846256486147352_n.jpg

Thread Information