Finding the right MOS
Create Post

Finding the right MOS

I really wanted to do 0861 Fire Support Man (Forward Observer) but my recruiter said for that my ship out date would be moved to May of 2018! I already waited an entire year for a tattoo waiver to go through and I just don't want to wait another 8 months. Personally I would like an on the higher side of my Asvab scores. Maybe gain some skills but I also don't want to end up behind a desk or a paper pusher. I looked at Avionics but I also don't want to be stuck fixing or inspecting planes for other people to take out on missions. I want a good mixture of being in the field with a rifle but also doing something else. What I liked about 0861 is I'd do infantry stuff but I also get to scout for infantry and call in artillery and as well as blow a ton of **** up in my MOS school. Just looking for some MOS's with a good mix of bad assery but with some skills to learn as well. Thanks. (Also, my current ship date is October 9th)

Here are my scores. GT: 104 EL: 103 CL: 101 MM: 106

Similar Threads:

what the fvck happened to the days of just wanting to be a Marine

It's the millennial generation. It's all about them (evidently).

Don't knock paper pushers. I was one, still did a lot of challenging things including commanding the #1 embassy guard detachment in the Marine Corps, was the honor graduate out of a formal school that included former drill instructors and grunts, and graduated higher than many drill instructors and grunts did from the resident Staff Noncomissioned Officer Academy. The Marine Corps gives everyone opportunities to excel and achieve their goals regardless of MOS.

Good luck.

Some people who couldn't go to college want a skill to learn for their future career. Unless they want to make the military their career or want to become law enforcement, "just being a Marine" won't get you anywhere once you retire from the it.

Not knocking paper pushers, I actually envy them because I know it has its benefits. Sadly, I just absolutely hate doing tons of paperwork.

People have the option now. You're a fricken moron if you join the military blind to your MOS when you don't have to. I'll remind those ****-talking millennials, that millennials fought the last 17 years as an all volunteer military, filling the ranks of combat arms as fast as they opened. If you have a problem with people being able to choose their MOS, that is a problem with the system that allows it. Frankly I think it's a good thing. I wouldn't want other guys in the infantry who didn't want to be there. Besides, people tend to do better at jobs they enjoy/are motivated to do.

To the OP, do whatever MOS you want to do in the USMC, and worry about your career later. You go to college/trade school/etc for free when you get out. Do something you want to do with your time in. If that happens to overlap with a trade or other career, so be it.

Mike

To you, Mike, I have very much respect. I see a lot of negative backlash towards young future Marines for wanting an MOS that suits them. Thank you for the advice.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post

what the fvck happened to the days
    of just wanting to be a Marine
    You $illy$hit - Lenny

Can't you remember ?
    WE were Amature Marines -

TODAYS Marines - "IS PROFESSIONALS"

Quote Originally Posted by TRaw View Post
    I really wanted to do 0861 Fire Support Man (Forward Observer) but my recruiter said for that my ship out date would be moved to May of 2018! I already waited an entire year for a tattoo waiver to go through and I just don't want to wait another 8 months. Personally I would like an on the higher side of my Asvab scores. Maybe gain some skills but I also don't want to end up behind a desk or a paper pusher. I looked at Avionics but I also don't want to be stuck fixing or inspecting planes for other people to take out on missions. I want a good mixture of being in the field with a rifle but also doing something else. What I liked about 0861 is I'd do infantry stuff but I also get to scout for infantry and call in artillery and as well as blow a ton of **** up in my MOS school. Just looking for some MOS's with a good mix of bad assery but with some skills to learn as well. Thanks. (Also, my current ship date is October 9th)

Here are my scores. GT: 104 EL: 103 CL: 101 MM: 106
    Sounds like combat engineer would be a good fit for you. You get to spend time in the field, blow stuff up, use heavy equipment, learn how to build and demolish many things, etc.

Look into it.

As for the 06 job in May, if it's what you really want to do for 4 years of your life a 8 month wait shouldn't matter.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Keep us posted, and check out replies to your other thread about our MOS and whether we liked it, etc

You missed my point about being a paper pusher. Administration was my primary MOS. I actually only spent half my time in that career field. The Marine Corps afforded me opportunities to branch out and actually do other things other than administration - I took advantage of those opportunities and excelled at all of them. Not trying to change your attitude towards POG's; lots of Marines share that attitude (if you're not a grunt, you're not a real Marine).

As far as a civilian job after the Marine Corps. You are correct, just being a Marine did not help me find a career in healthcare after going back to college (for free). But, being a career Marine gave me the leadership skills, dedication/commitment, attention to detail, etc employers are looking for. Being a veteran does not guarantee anyone a job in todays job market. My MOS as an administrator did not translate to a respiratory therapist at a teaching (University) medical center. Point is, what I did as a Marine had no bearing, and presented no roadblocks, to what I did in civilian healthcare. Same is true for the majority of the veterans at my hospital including the handful of Marines. One Marine I worked with a lot in one of the Intensive Care Units was a former grunt. I'm sure there are some veterans from the other services who did do healthcare on active duty. But, a background in healthcare is not a a prerequisite for employment obviously as Marines don't do medicine while in uniform. All of this to say. I understand your concern about doing something in the Marine Corps that'll give you skills for employment afterwards. Like me, you may end up doing something that does not translate directly to your civilian job anyways. It's not a big deal - or doesn't have to be. One thing you can count on translating no matter what is what you bring to your employer just from the time you wore the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

I was assigned to two separate Combat Engineer Battalions (one active duty and one reserve as an Inspector-Instructor)) and agree engineering sounds like something that satisfies your desire for being out in the field while at the same time learning skills that translate to a civilian job. There are two types of engineers; construction engineers and heavy equipment operators. Construction engineers get to build things and also destroy things (blow stuff up).

I appreciate the answers from you all. Thank you.

Thread Information