Is a history of homelessness unfavorable?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Is a history of homelessness unfavorable?

I lived out of a car for a few years despite working full time. I have had an apartment for a year and a half now. Would I be judged as somehow defective with such a history? Admittedly, I was depressed during that time due to feeling isolated and desperate for an avenue for advancement. I never begged on the corner, or went around hurting people. Took a shower every day at the rec center. Tried to conceal the homeless status best I could, even didn't want anyone to catch me cooking food on the manifold. The few times my car broke down and I had no money for a tow or repairs, I'd think "this is it, the end" but I always got over it after a moment and figured out how to fix it myself. I was stuck in part due to being evicted from student housing. Also, because my full time job was as a paper carrier, amounts to far less than minimum wage. Attorneys said it was impossible to get the eviction off the record and nobody wanted to represent my case for what the landlord had done. I figured out a way to do it, worked on it for 2 years. Filed in JP court without an attorney. They showed up with a state attorney (because suing a community college is the same as suing the state). I still won, eviction removed, and they had to write me a check. 2 months later I was able to move on with my life in an apartment and got a second job. Please enlighten me, will the Marines assume there is a major malfunction with someone who spent most of their adult life chronically homeless? I am 30. Currently, this year and a half is the longest stretch of time maintaining a "home". The other layer to it is I was unable to pass a background check to get a better job because of a presently 9 year old conviction for shoplifting, B misdemeanor. Nobody cared that the workforce commission would provide a fidelity bond. I would receive job offers from management conducting the interview but HR department would block it. Recently scored an interview for clerical position with local police department; same story. My dad is a veteran. I want to be just like him and live life with honor and purpose. Thank you for taking time to read this long post.