What are my chances (waiver/disqualified?)
Create Post

Unhappy What are my chances (waiver/disqualified?)

i am interested in enlisting but have some issues from my past, from living in canada, which reflect badly on my character.In short, I sold pot in high school and received a charge related to that when I was 19 that was soon after expunged from my record.Since, I have made an effort to turn my life around and am on a path to earning a bachelor's of science degree.Is a waiver possible for me or am I better off joining the Canadian Forces? They have stated they will have me as an officer as long as my charges have been expunged.They pay a lot more, but I wanted to be a leatherneck from a young age.I have limited abilities in French and a dialect of Hindi.Thanks for any advice or insight.

Similar Threads:

I have seen a lot worse get waivers, especially if it has been dropped off your record. but if you talk to a recruiter be sure to be totally honest with him/her. I take it you are a Canadian Citizen, so you will need to have all proper paper work,
    there should be someone along shortly that is more up to date than me, it has been a long time since I was in and things have changed a lot.

How much marijuana were you arrested with and what was the charge?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
    How much marijuana were you arrested with and what was the charge?
    Abut $30 worth, charge was trafficking and it was dismissed, no conviction, but I received community service.
    This was all purged/expunged/pardoned from my record in canada.
    i wish to be upfront about everything as I know integrity is valued.

For purpose of waivers it depends on how many grams you were in possession of. I believe <35 grams is an easy waiver (RS level). 36> goes up to district level, which makes the process a little harder.

The potential issue you will face is finding the necessary documents to go with your waiver paperwork since it was in Canada and has been expunged. You'll have to find some kind of way to get the arrest report and court documentation.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Contact your original attorney and/or the court clerk's office in the court you appeared in. Give them a call. If you have a docket number you can give them that and they can help you faster.

It was less than four grams.
    however, it has been expunged by my attorney said the charges were dismissed. I don't think getting a paper copy will be possible.
    how should I proceed?

That's usually the case with applicants who have had their records expunged. You're going to have to dig until you can find something.

Have you tried getting the arrest report? Sometimes courts will maintain them even after the expungement has gone through. You can also try to get the prosecutor's office to write something up for you on an official letter head (usually works only in smaller towns).

This is all complicated by the fact he was in Canada at the time. Their court systems and marijuana laws are different I'm sure and the USMC may not even recognize legal documents from there.

Thread Information