Wannabe tips to get where I need to be before recruitment?
Create Post

Question Wannabe tips to get where I need to be before recruitment?

Hi Marines, my name is Bryce Norman, and I would like to earn the title.

I've wanted to be a Marine since I was 12, and part of the military since I was 3 or 4. I come from a family of servicemen (All army), so it was something always on my mind. I've decided on the Marines, as you men and women are the finest fighting force on the face of the Earth, the challenge required to earn the Pin, and my will to serve my nation, friends, and family.

I'm currently 15, turning 16 in 2 months. I would like to enlist the day I turn 17. I've already talked to my parents about it, and I would like to start preparing now, because I am not even close to IST standards, and I am what you'd call a fattie, at 6ft 235lbs.

I can't run fast, my mile time is 15mins. However, I have a fair amount of strength, being able to do the required crunches, and can do over 25 uninterrupted pushups. But, I can't do pull-ups to save my life. Not even 1. It's sad and pathetic.

I also have no way to practice them as I live 30 miles to the north of the nearest gym. I don't go to a physical school either, I am cyber-schooled.

Overall, I'm in okay shape, my grades are good, and I'm of high moral standing. I would like some tips and ideas on how to get started improving the run time and pullups, (without access to a pullup bar) while also losing weight without serious diet changes right off the bat (gotta slowly change it, can't give up twinkies, cookies, and ice cream instantly )

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for your service!

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First of all, you won't be able to enlist on your 17th birthday. Those days are long past now. In fact, a recruiter can't even legally talk to you seriously about enlisting until you are 17. After that, you will have to spend some time in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) as Poolee. I have no idea how long that might be, but it won't exceed 365 days.

So you have time to whittle off the weight, pushups, pullups, crunches, running, all of this can be done without a gym. Also push-aways. Pushing away from the dinner table.

That's incorrect. Poolees can enlist at 17 with parental consent. Actually, I'd guess that 17 years old is the most common enlistment age for the USMC. BOTH parents have to sign unless one is unavailable (dead, identity unknown, in prison out of the RS's AO, etc). Depending on what day your 17th birthday falls on you may even be able to enlist as a junior. Poolees who enlist before their senior year are called "410s". They are allowed to be in the DEP for 410 days vice 365. (I enlisted a girl on her 17th bday. I still recall her bday was June 30th. Since she enlisted prior to the start of her senior year she was a 410) And obviously since recruiters are allowed to enlist applicants on their 17th bday they can in fact talk to them prior to that bday. There's no policy in place saying what age a person has to be before recruiters can get kneecap to kneecap with them. Of course recruiters will mostly avoid spending their time/energy on someone they will not be able to enlist during their tour (13 year olds for instance).

For a kid that can't do any pullups the hardest thing in the world is getting #1. First, work on your weight. The lighter you are the easier it'll be to pull up your body weight. Second make sure you're trying both grips (palms in and out). You may be better utilizing your back muscles than your biceps. Third, save up some cash and buy a pull-up bar from Walmart. They cost $20 and can be hung on door frames. And lastly, we always used assistance bands for poolees who struggled to get over the bar. Get a couple of them so you can change the amount of resistance. They will do wonders!

Improving your run time is simple. Put some sneakers on. Hydrate. Go run. Repeat.

Its also a good idea to start PTing with the Marines. They should have PT at a minimum of once a week. If you're close to an office try to link up with them when you can.

I would advise you to call a recruiter in your area and ask him about your school situation. Online schooling is often a big obstacle to overcome.

You need an attitude adjustment. If twinkies and ice cream are more important to you than earning the title then your priorities are not in the right order.

Once you become serious about becoming a Marine then you can consider talking to a recruiter. Till then, don't waste their time.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You need an attitude adjustment. If twinkies and ice cream are more important to you than earning the title then your priorities are not in the right order.

Once you become serious about becoming a Marine then you can consider talking to a recruiter. Till then, don't waste their time.

Good luck.
    I assure you I am110% serious about earning the Title. Or else I wouldn't be here asking for assistance in earning it. My diet is actually balanced. It was nothing more than a light joke, and I'm sorry I gave you such a bad impression of me, but that was NOT the intent. Thank you for the reply.

Take a look at the Marine Corps PFT/CFT standards at the link below.

http://www.fitness.marines.mil/PFT-CFT_Standards17/

Quote Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
    That's incorrect. Poolees can enlist at 17 with parental consent. Actually, I'd guess that 17 years old is the most common enlistment age for the USMC. BOTH parents have to sign unless one is unavailable (dead, identity unknown, in prison out of the RS's AO, etc). Depending on what day your 17th birthday falls on you may even be able to enlist as a junior. Poolees who enlist before their senior year are called "410s". They are allowed to be in the DEP for 410 days vice 365. (I enlisted a girl on her 17th bday. I still recall her bday was June 30th. Since she enlisted prior to the start of her senior year she was a 410) And obviously since recruiters are allowed to enlist applicants on their 17th bday they can in fact talk to them prior to that bday. There's no policy in place saying what age a person has to be before recruiters can get kneecap to kneecap with them. Of course recruiters will mostly avoid spending their time/energy on someone they will not be able to enlist during their tour (13 year olds for instance).

For a kid that can't do any pullups the hardest thing in the world is getting #1. First, work on your weight. The lighter you are the easier it'll be to pull up your body weight. Second make sure you're trying both grips (palms in and out). You may be better utilizing your back muscles than your biceps. Third, save up some cash and buy a pull-up bar from Walmart. They cost $20 and can be hung on door frames. And lastly, we always used assistance bands for poolees who struggled to get over the bar. Get a couple of them so you can change the amount of resistance. They will do wonders!

Improving your run time is simple. Put some sneakers on. Hydrate. Go run. Repeat.

Its also a good idea to start PTing with the Marines. They should have PT at a minimum of once a week. If you're close to an office try to link up with them when you can.

I would advise you to call a recruiter in your area and ask him about your school situation. Online schooling is often a big obstacle to overcome.
    Thanks for the reply Kamauxx. The recruitment time period is helpful info, and I'm taking note.

I've read that palms in is a better way of doing them as it's easier to work with your back muscles (not just me specific, but in general), in your experience, is that true?

As for the pull-up bar, I'm hoping to buy myself one soon. Assistance bands, any recommendations for a specific brand? I'm looking now and see a few different ones.

For the run, is there any interval training you can recommend? As my stamina is horrid, and I'm basically starting from scratch as I don't do sports or anything like that.

I'd love to talk to a recruiter and go to the poolee PTs, (I believe that's why recruiter offices do the PTs right? For the poolees?) but first I feel as if I must get in decent shape to be able to keep up and not fall too far behind, and so I can talk to the recruiter so I'll be taken seriously.

As for my school situation, I have no idea how it will work, but I will find out.

Again, thank you for the great reply, it has been massively helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    Take a look at the Marine Corps PFT/CFT standards at the link below.
    (couldn't post the link in the quote)
    Well that's intresting. I've looked it up of course and I completely skipped out on the actual marines website... derrrrrp. Should've been the first place to look.

Didn't know pushups were part of IST/PFT. Good to know that they aren't entirely useless. I still want to be able to do the pull-ups, as they are a better exercise and the preferred method.

Thank you.

It's not easy to become one of the World's Finest. With a lot of work, you can do it. We had an individual here a while back lose about 100 pounds to meet the weight requirement if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    It's not easy to become one of the World's Finest. With a lot of work, you can do it. We had an individual here a while back lose about 100 pounds to meet the weight requirement if I recall correctly.
    Wow! That's awesome. Good for him!

I plan to do it, no matter the challenge, I will succeed.

I want this more than anything in my life.

Thanks for the help Kegler!

Going through the archives, I found this link:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...join-the-Corps

Quote Originally Posted by moreorless View Post
    Thanks for the reply Kamauxx. The recruitment time period is helpful info, and I'm taking note.

I've read that palms in is a better way of doing them as it's easier to work with your back muscles (not just me specific, but in general), in your experience, is that true?

As for the pull-up bar, I'm hoping to buy myself one soon. Assistance bands, any recommendations for a specific brand? I'm looking now and see a few different ones.

For the run, is there any interval training you can recommend? As my stamina is horrid, and I'm basically starting from scratch as I don't do sports or anything like that.

I'd love to talk to a recruiter and go to the poolee PTs, (I believe that's why recruiter offices do the PTs right? For the poolees?) but first I feel as if I must get in decent shape to be able to keep up and not fall too far behind, and so I can talk to the recruiter so I'll be taken seriously.

As for my school situation, I have no idea how it will work, but I will find out.

Again, thank you for the great reply, it has been massively helpful.
    Palms in require more strength in your biceps. Palms out require more strength in your back. It's different for everyone, which is why I suggested you try both.

I don't recall which brand of bands we had. It shouldn't make a difference though. Just read the reviews before purchasing. It would suck for one of them to snap during use.

If you struggle with running long distances run shorter distances. Run some and walk some. Sprint some and walk some. You want to keep your heart rate up for a sustained period so don't run 50 yards and walk a mile. Make sure you're constantly challenging yourself.

Sounds like you need to make some lifestyle changes... That's fine, and there are a lot of resources online to help with that. That said, you really should meet with a trainer a couple times to come up with a diet and exercise plan so that you a) get the results you are looking for and b) don't make yourself sick or hurt yourself. I get that you apparently live in bum**** nowhere, but you might have to make the drive a couple times to get a solid workout and diet plan established.

I say lifestyle changes because you clearly don't work out, and don't eat right. Your weight doesn't seem crazy, but clearly it's not in the right places if you can't do a pull-up. I was about 35lbs overweight at 5'10 238lbs and could still do 25 pull-ups -- so it's not just that you're fat. You're fat and weak. The good news is you don't have 100+ pounds to lose. I think it's going to be harder for you to actually get into shape because you are in crappy physical condition. It's easy to drop weight when you already work out and know how to work out. If you don't know how to do either, you are in for a challenge, which is why I think you need to come up with the money and meet with a professional a few times who can track your changes and make adjustments to your plan. It is a lifestyle change because you need to workout regularly to be in shape. There's no way around that. That means running and lifting at least a few times a week respectively and being physically active generally. This isn't a temporary thing, this is something you'll do forever. Same goes for how you eat -- if you put yourself on some gross diet you won't stick with it, the key is eating right and eating in moderation. This doesn't mean you can't get what you want at restaurants and order pizza for football games, but ice cream and twinkies won't be a cornerstone of this.

Good luck

Mike

Thread Information