Can I wear Dress Blues
Create Post

Can I wear Dress Blues

I was honorable discharge in 1987 (1983-1987) I was in during Grenada but actually never went there.

Have Good conduct, Meritorious Medal and Overseas Ribbon.

I was wondering if I could wear My Dress Blues to the Ball this year and My Dads funeral. He was in during Korean War.

Also I would like to wear at daughters wedding and when I die.

How do I know if there was undeclared war back then?

Interent says has to be a war or undeclared war? I thought once a Marine Always a Marine and have the right. Guess not. Just not sure about when and about the undeclared war part. Dont want to break regs.
    Doesn't really sound right to me though. My older cuz was in during Nam and never went there and he can wear his. BTW, I am 52 and in great shape and still wear military haircut to regs since I got out and wanted to go to ball this year and go to my dads funeral when he passes this year (that's why I got my a new Blues to fit), Still at 10% BF at my age and benching well over 300 lbs on bench at 165 lbs!

Similar Threads:

I believe you can wear your blues, but if you do wear them properly. This past weekend I attended a WWII Vets funeral, they had requested my Combat Vets Motorcycle Chapter, and there was a guy that was one of the casket bearers wearing his blues. His uniform looked good, he only had a gee dunk ribbon, but he wore his collar EGA's backwards. I told some of my Marine friends that were there and they all laughed, one of my guys went over and told him but he did nothing. Just wear them properly. Thank you.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Also look below your original post and you will see other threads that are similar to yours, take a look at them, they may have specific answers to your questions.......

You can wear them, as long as everything is within regulations. I go on a USMC birthday cruise to the Caribbean every November and a number of us wear uniforms (I don't cause I can't fit in mine - I wear a coat and tie with miniature medals above the left coat pocket).

Blows my mind how anybody could put their collar emblems on backwards (but it happens). Everybody is taught the basic rule that the anchors always point inboard.

Find out about this years cruise here. All hands and their friends/family are welcome: www.cruiseusmc.com

Anchors point to the heart! My son just told me that!

Meritorious Unit Commendation (MUC) vice meritorious medal?

Now I want to get my Blues cleaned up and tailored to fit so I can wear them to an event here and there. I think I'll pull them out of the cedar closet soon and see what it would take. If it's not too many $$... Hmm.

s/f!

If you are near Marine Corps facility, i.e., Eighth & I, Quantico, etc., a tailor or dry cleaning service with tailoring, ideal to help fit your blues. I had mine altered (even changing to larger size collar) and cost less than $75 at Camp Pendleton Exchange. BTW, couldn't fit into my issued one; found one on eBay. Perfect condition. Good luck.

Lima, 3/4 '67

You can wear any dress uniform, except cammies. As many have mentioned, just make sure it's squared away. I stop folks in uniform and ask questions for legitimacy.

May need to add 1/2 inch to neck

Quote Originally Posted by m5runner View Post
    You can wear any dress uniform, except cammies. As many have mentioned, just make sure it's squared away. I stop folks in uniform and ask questions for legitimacy.
    Wonder where I can get my collar extended? I am more muscular now (even at my age). Stronger and Faster!!! I tried to come back but they said I was too old. Still can shoot expert at 500 yards. Dont like the 16 inch barrel at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CorporalJJ View Post
    Wonder where I can get my collar extended? I am more muscular now (even at my age). Stronger and Faster!!! I tried to come back but they said I was too old. Still can shoot expert at 500 yards. Dont like the 16 inch barrel at all.

Find any base and ask the guard on duty and I'm sure he/she will be able to tell you where to go. There's usually a tailor on base and off base.

If you have a reserve unit nearby, check with an I&I Staff member. They should know of a tailor in town who they use for their alterations.

Lightbulb Looking to Buy a Set of Dress Blues?

First-time post for me so here goes...

Will be standing tall with the Commander in Chief this November in DC with other veterans and wanted to wear Dress Blues. There is no way in hell I could ever fit into my original blues awarded at Parris Island in 1967 by Leatherneck Magazine as Outstanding Man. I'm well aware of the uniform standards retired or honorably discharged Marines have to adhere to. I lost 22 lbs and had been working out for about six months since I had this idea.

Anyway, I cruised on down to Oceanside and looked around several surplus stores in the area. They all have a boatload of blues for sale, but they are all sized 42 and smaller. I'm a 44 now. Was told larger sizes are extremely rare. Found one 44
    blouse at GI Joes in decent shape and took it to ABC Laundry located right next store for alterations. They put on a larger collar and by some miracle were able to let it out in the chest area to fit PERFECTLY. Be advised the tailoring and blouse set me back about $380.00, not to mention the gas to drive down from Los Angeles. ABC even shipped the completed uniform (trousers and blouse) pressed and cleaned with Sgt. chevrons, 4 Year Hashmark and buttonholes (to mount anodized high gloss buttons) back to me in LA when finished.

Bottom line, if you want a set of blues and are willing to meet the uniform standards (hair and weight - no fat bodies, please!), and are willing to spend the money on the rest of the uniform (waist plate, white belt, buttons, cover, chevrons, mounted medals and ribbons, etc. it can be done, but NOT on the cheap. If you can make it down to Pendleton, I recommend ABC Laundry and Surplus PN: 760.722.2412 - ask for Jeanette - she'll take good care of you.

Any advise on how to keep the dress white belt from sagging while carrying the NCO sword. Hadn't worn it since NCO school in 82 and we wore it on a cartridge belt there. Never even had a white frog until now.

Thread Information