Change For The Sake Of Change
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Change For The Sake Of Change

The Marine Corps may scrap its iconic recruiting slogan, "The Few. The Proud. The Marines."
    The change is being considered ahead of a national advertising campaign slated to launch next year, according to reports in Marine Times.
    'The Few, The Proud' does a great job distinguishing ourselves from the other branches and making us prestigious to recruits, but it doesn't say anything about what we do or why we exist," Lt. Col. John Caldwell, a spokesman for Marine Corps Recruiting Command told Marines Corps Times. "We believe the new campaign products require a unique tagline to achieve the effort's objectives."
    The new advertising strategy - which will emphasize the fighting nature of the Marines - has already been approved by Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller. Once developed, the new tagline would be used on recruiting materials replacing "The Few, The Proud" slogan.
    Caldwell said the change has nothing to do with the inclusion of women into combat jobs service-wide.
    "It has everything to do with clearly defining who we are and what we do as United States Marines. It's all about our irreducible fighting spirit. That's the fighting spirit of the organization and that's the fighting spirit of all its Marines," Caldwell said.

Similar Threads:

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    New Marine Corps slogan leaked by white house staffers, "Kill them in the face."

Credits
    Savings
    hahahaha. It just might be the new slogan.

Have seen one of the new TV ads. Shows some static toy soldiers (Marines) depicting past battle scenes with music and battle sounds in the background. Not impressed personally. Don't see how that ad would motivate any high school student to put down their device(s) and run down to the recruiting station to sign up. But, I'm not in high school so what the hell do I know.

I do remember the slogan at the time I joined in 1972: "We don't promise you a rose garden". Motivated me at the time.

Credits
    Savings
    I remember that 1972 slogan, too. It was quite popular. I think for those few in the world who have no idea what the Marine Corps does or who they are, that the Internet might have some basic information about the USMC? So the description of the Corps and what it does having to be compressed into a slogan? Unnecessary, like many things nowadays. Change for the sake of change is the norm, not the exception. Keep changing slogans to keep up with the Information Age, never mind that all that info is at one's fingertips to begin with.

^^^I think it has more to do with keeping up with todays political climate (political correctness) than anything else. Another ad shows a female in a combat role (for the first time ever). Now that one I can see motivating females who want to break stereotypes and prove they are just as good as men (again, more PC).

Credits
    Savings
    Exactly, Top.

Dave......I thought this was gonna be a transgender thread, by the title. I was always taught....if something works....don't work on it. After all, change is just a snip away.

Credits
    Savings
    LOL----Billy, it is just another example of change instituted just for kicks, under the guise of wanting to "improve" things that do not need improving. More typical 21st century stuff, is all.

They certainly won't use the "Rose Garden" slogan again, from what I see of today's trends it's more like "Tip Toeing through the Tulips"....

Credits
    Savings
    hahahaha, priceless, Mike.

The Few, The Proud, The Marines is a timeless slogan. Why mess with perfection?

Instead of "Leatherneck" will they be "tiny tim" with a ukulele ...

Credits
    Savings
    Slogan -, slogan ?, We had a slogan ?

I'm probibly not remembering verywell - it's common i hear
    once you start getting "old".

I just remember the Recruiting Posters -
    out side the Post Offices

"Marines"

What more did they need to say ?

Ed, you need a haircut, brother.

Thread Information