Trying to enlist with surgery done
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Trying to enlist with surgery done

I was just wondering, are there any recruiters or any Marines who know how surgery and meps works? I have a scar on my arm that healed and formed a bubble of skin, and I also want to get a septoplasty and rhinoplasty (nose jobs) because I have a very noticeable crooked nose

I recently spoke to my recruiter and asked him, he told me I could enlist now and just go to a navy surgeon/doctor and get those surgeries done while in the military. It sounded a little too good to be true so I wanted to get some more informed advice. And also if I get those surgeries done before I enlist, will it be an automatic disqualification?

I tried google and I cant find anything on it since this is a very specific question. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

I do not believe the Military will cover non-war covered cosmetic surgery, just because you don't like the way your nose looks and if it is a medical issue, you won't be allowed to enlist.
    as far as getting it done before enlisting, I am not sure how that would be handled. but if you have it done after enlisting on your own dime you would need permission from your CO. first

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Honestly I'd wait until after your time in the military is over, if you wind up enlisting. There's always a chance someone will come along at some point and pound it into a different direction.

Well, the military is willing to pay for sex reassignment surgery and lifetime hormone treatments (for now anyways) so what's a mere nose job? If someone can change their sex at taxpayer expense, certainly you can straighten your nose.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Well, the military is willing to pay for sex reassignment surgery and lifetime hormone treatments (for now anyways) so what's a mere nose job? If someone can change their sex at taxpayer expense, certainly you can straighten your nose.
    All of it is just cosmetic. I can breathe fine as of right now, it just bothers me alot that its not straight. Same for the scar on my arm as well. Since its all just cosmetic reasons it shouldnt disqualify me right?

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Your recruiter wants you to do it after you've joined because then it's no longer his problem, and he probably has no idea how to answer your question. Unless there's a MEPS physician lurking, you probably will not find a bulletproof recommendation here. If you have these surgeries, your recruiter might pressure you into not declaring them, but go ahead and do so, and be ready to supply your medical records. The MEPS physician will probably want to know the results of the surgery to make sure there were no complications. If by some freak accident they discover cancer and polyps galore while they're unbending your nose, then I'm sorry you won't get to join the military, but at least you won't be dead?

That said, if it's just cosmetic and there was no underlying problem, your surgery results will prove that and you will most likely be fine.

Another comment on trying to get cosmetic surgery after you're in. If you go get a rhinoplasty or anything like that, if you even request it, you will not live it down for your entire four years. You will have a horrible nickname. The military has some excellent doctors, who are there to perform cutting edge techniques. You will not see one of those. You will see Uncle Lester from the Adams Family because you want to have a rhinoplasty while in the Marine Corps. Even if he fixes it perfectly, other Marines will still find out, and they will find the tiniest flaw in your noses appearance and dig on that until they make you hate your life.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Loadeater View Post
    Your recruiter wants you to do it after you've joined because then it's no longer his problem, and he probably has no idea how to answer your question. Unless there's a MEPS physician lurking, you probably will not find a bulletproof recommendation here. If you have these surgeries, your recruiter might pressure you into not declaring them, but go ahead and do so, and be ready to supply your medical records. The MEPS physician will probably want to know the results of the surgery to make sure there were no complications. If by some freak accident they discover cancer and polyps galore while they're unbending your nose, then I'm sorry you won't get to join the military, but at least you won't be dead?

That said, if it's just cosmetic and there was no underlying problem, your surgery results will prove that and you will most likely be fine.

Another comment on trying to get cosmetic surgery after you're in. If you go get a rhinoplasty or anything like that, if you even request it, you will not live it down for your entire four years. You will have a horrible nickname. The military has some excellent doctors, who are there to perform cutting edge techniques. You will not see one of those. You will see Uncle Lester from the Adams Family because you want to have a rhinoplasty while in the Marine Corps. Even if he fixes it perfectly, other Marines will still find out, and they will find the tiniest flaw in your noses appearance and dig on that until they make you hate your life.

Thanks! I thought the Marine Corps might have some strange rule saying "oh if its cosmetic he doesnt look natural/the same anymore so we cant take him since he doesnt match"

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think you misunderstand me. I'm saying that if these surgeries are important to you, do them before you join. At best, you might have them done after, and only at the expense of your reputation.

Nick, let your recruiter know what surgeries you've had, when you've had them, and where they were performed. He will have you sign a HIPPA, giving him permission to request your medical records. Those records will be sent to MEPS and the doctor on duty will decide to either allow you to come, postpone your visit for more medical information, or DQ you.

If you go to MEPS and have scars that aren't documented or don't have records to explain them you won't have a good day.

As far as cosmetic surgery goes, it isn't up to your recruiter, any MEPS personnel, or any Marine you will one day work for in the fleet. It's up to your PCM. If you can get a PCM to give you a referral and Tricare approves it you'll be getting your face surgery. Otherwise you'll have to live with the way you look or pay out of pocket to Kim Kardashian your face.

Thread Information