Why did you decide to join the Marine Corps?
Create Post

Why did you decide to join the Marine Corps?

I will enlist in the military, and one day become an officer, but I can't decide on a branch. My dad and mom say Air Force, my great uncle think I should join the Navy, and I was thinking Army/Marines (I would like a combat role). No matter what I do, I'd like to be a part-of a Special Mission Unit.

I need your honest advice. Why the Marines?

Similar Threads:

OK....I'll comment...

My home life sucked and I wanted to be on my own as a man long before my time.
    I wanted to be the tip of the spear, the military amphibian and prove myself in the thick of things....so to speak.
    I would not settle for less that the toughest training available.
    I would strive to set the best example among those I serve with even under the most strenuous mental/physical demands.

All this meant only one choice for me.....The Few, The Proud.
    I'll earn the EGA....thank you very much....end of story.

I keep to myself and don't make my service experiences a subject of conversation.
    But...if someone starts a military conversation....and asks me..."did you serve"?
    I say "yes, I was a Marine".....their interest level perks up and the questions start coming.
    So...think ahead 5-10 years when you get that very question.
    What answer would you like to respond with?
    I wouldn't change a thing with my decision.

NOTE: wars are fought much differently these days than in my time and others here on this site.
    You say...."I would like a combat role"....most newbs say the same thing.
    I would only say be careful what you wish for.

The branch you choose is up to you as an adult.
    I'd suggest dig deep regarding your choice....do not join a branch based on external suggestions.
    I'd never even considered joining a different branch but we all select/join for different reasons.

Good luck......

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Excellent post as always, Wayne----I dropped out of high school, wanted to go into the military for 4 years, not less than that. Undecided about which branch. Went to all the recruiters. Figured that as long as I was going in for 4, I might as well go into the best/most elite branch of them all. I did all the paperwork when I was 16 and 2 weeks after turning 17 I found myself at Parris Island. Got a GED while in the Corps, and the rest is history.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and please keep us posted here on this very same thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Having said all that, see my PM to you, as I believe a person out of high school or college should go into the Corps ONLY if he or she just HAS to do so, just HAS it in his mind that he wants to be a Marine, period------if it really makes no difference to that person, one way or the other, my recommendation changes. It's all in a PM to you, though-----don't forget to keep us posted. This thread will fall by the wayside eventually, so just resurrect it. If you want to be a Marine, go for it. If you just must be a Marine, go for it. But if you consider all branches to be equal, in your mind, then there are other considerations.

Credits
    Savings
    One other consideration for the OP-----from experience, I can tell you that whatever job/MOS you choose, you may like what you do even when you initially thought it would be an awful job to have, and vice versa. My MOS was the best job I ever had, before or since, by far, but I had no idea what it was at the time I got it handed to me, like we all did in the old days.....so you may think oh this job is not for me, or wow, this is an awesome sounding job, I think I'll try to get into that MOS-----but you don't know and won't know what's good or bad for you as far as liking or disliking any particular MOS, until you actually do the work it entails. Just keep that in mind so you won't narrow your view of all the MOSs.

I come from a different era. I grew up watching John Wayne in "Sands of Iwo Jima" and a lot of other war movies. The USMC always looked so glamorous to me so I never even considered another branch of service - I wanted to wear that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor (EGA). When I enlisted in 1972, we were not sending any troops over to Vietnam so I missed that boat but did get to participate in Operation Desert Storm in Iraq. There are some things I would do differently if I could do it all again but for the most part, don't regret the 22.6 years wearing that EGA.

That said. This is a different era obviously. The USMC I idolized growing up and served has changed drastically (in more negative ways than positive in my opinion). The services have become more liberal and politically correct. We never even conceived of open gays, open transgenders, and women in combat roles - all of which are reality today. We looked at the USMC as an exclusive men's gun club where Marines traveled the world, instigated bar fights, and spent their paychecks on hookers. Marines still travel the world but bars and hookers are frowned upon and slowly disappearing.

All of that to say. Reasons to choose the USMC today have changed. Many of the reasons we old salts joined are history and never coming back. The USMC is not as exclusive as it once was. Although the USMC is still the nation's expeditionary amphibious force, Marines continue to operate in landlocked wars like Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan - more suitable to the Army's mission. None of this detracts from our illustrious history and legacy.

All of the services have special operators. You should research each and see where you fit in the best. You can research our Marine Raiders on their website at www.marsoc.com

Good luck

Credits
    Savings
    Outstanding post, Top....yep, the old days are not even recognizable these days. Completely gone.

When were the old days?

Credits
    Savings
    Anything before today, including yesterday.

Old Corps, New Corps, it's always a different Corps but it's still the same - does that make sense to anyone but me?

I get to work with Marines pretty frequently in my job (they're in your old primary MOS field, Dave), and they're different for sure from the Marines before me and those I knew when I was in uniform (80s-90s), but they're still Marines and no mistaking that!

As for the OP's question, I enlisted because I wanted to prove to myself (and family, and everybody else) that I could do the hardest thing I could find, which was to become a Marine. Wanted to become an officer, but never could get a waiver for my vision, but I earned the EGA and found out I loved it.

Would have been a lifer, but life had other plans for me, so I'm now one of those middle-aged "Once a Marine, Always a Marine" guys. For whatever that's worth.

Cheers!

s/f

Credits
    Savings
    "Whatever that's worth"----it's worth a lot, Andy.

What you want out of the military should dictate the branch you serve in. I wanted to be a Marine since I knew what Marines were, and infantry was of course the only MOS I considered. You can probably find dumb posts from me on this website from 12+ years ago, 2 years before I joined the USMC. I graduated high school with every opportunity, and had already been hanging out with the recruiter for close to 2 years PTing, etc. I met many close friends and even my wife in the DEP over 10 years ago. We were all driven and wanted to be Marines. I chose the reserves, graduated college with an all expenses paid trip to Afghanistan in the middle, got out and started law school.

I miss the military, but now I want something different. I am now in the process of joining the Army to fly helicopters. That said, I wouldn't trade my time in the Marine Corps for anything, and from what I've seen thus far it's much more of an identity than is any other branch.

A note on the "Old Corps/New Corps" debate you may see going on here. EVERY generation thinks they had it harder for some reason or other. Todays Marines are largely peacetime, my generation almost everyone had at least one deployment, etc. Today's Marine Corps is more professional, better trained, and better equipped than the Marine Corps of any other era, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.It has some issues, and I agree some of the PC stuff has seeped in. That said, I think it's at an all time high. As an example, take the women in combat arms thing. The Marine Corps accepted it, but responded by instituting higher minimum standards for ALL Marines, men and women, to go into combat arms. Having been in during an all male infantry time (and I don't know anyone who is even now in an infantry unit with women), there were plenty of guys who shouldn't have been there. So despite my thoughts as to the wisdom of integrating the infantry, the net result should still be a stronger infantry. The Marine Corps does this stuff right.

If you want to be part of a special mission unit there are many pathways... even in the airforce.

Mike

Thank you everyone who has replied to my thread, I enjoyed reading all of your stories.

I would especially like to thank USMC 2571, because I can tell you wholeheartedly would like me to make the best decision for my life.

To be honest, I'm still lost. I've spoken with recruiters from every branch, and only the Army, Marines and Navy SEALs (only that position specifically) interest me. The reason I decided against the Air Force is because they don't seem to be "combat-oriented," which is important to me, because I have a specific career field I would like to get into, and I believe that experience will be critical. I'm afraid of failing BUD/s and being stuck on a ship, which makes the Marines and Army more appealing to me. Both of them have infantry fields where I will gain deployment experience as well. I've been looking into the 0321 MOS with the Marines and 18x (Special Forces Candidate) with the Army, but I know I'll get the most satisfaction from maritime operations, simply because I love the water and I know my strengths. This makes Recon and the Navy SEALs my most viable options. Both of those enlistment contracts will put me in whatever job they want if I fail to meet the standards, so now it's just a decision between, do I want to be a Sailor, or do I want to be a Marine?

I will take an unofficial physical training test on Thursday with my Marine Recruiter, so I can see how out of shape I am (I'm slacking, but I've never been incapable) and what I need to improve on most. I should do fine physically if I continue to train until I ship out, genetics and drive will take care of that (sounds condescending, but I would like to accurately portray how I feel during this process). I scored 80 on the ASVAB pre-test, but I'm still improving my arithmetics because my score was weak in that area. I think I'm qualified (I do not know what will be needed of me), and because of that confidence I assume I will get what I want, but things might not go to plan, so take everything I say right now with a grain of salt.

Credits
    Savings
    You'll figure it out. Do it the old fashioned way. Sit down with a pen and paper, make a list, pros on one side, cons on the other, and discuss with yourself, by listing, good and bad things about each branch, in your estimation.....you'll eventually come to a decision.....and thanks for the "thank you to USMC 2571"....much appreciated.

Keep us updated here on this same thread. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbo View Post

To be honest, I'm still lost. I've spoken with recruiters from every branch, and only the Army, Marines and Navy SEALs (only that position specifically) interest me. The reason I decided against the Air Force is because they don't seem to be "combat-oriented," which is important to me, because I have a specific career field I would like to get into, and I believe that experience will be critical. I'm afraid of failing BUD/s and being stuck on a ship, which makes the Marines and Army more appealing to me. Both of them have infantry fields where I will gain deployment experience as well. I've been looking into the 0321 MOS with the Marines and 18x (Special Forces Candidate) with the Army, but I know I'll get the most satisfaction from maritime operations, simply because I love the water and I know my strengths. This makes Recon and the Navy SEALs my most viable options. Both of those enlistment contracts will put me in whatever job they want if I fail to meet the standards, so now it's just a decision between, do I want to be a Sailor, or do I want to be a Marine?.
    If you are interested in maritime ops don't rule out the Coast Guard. Their Law Enforcement Detachments do more VBSS than any unit I know of. You could become a Marine and then go 18X in the army. Or you Could become a Navy Corpsman, get great medical training, go green side and become a SARC with a recon unit. Or go NSW after some time in the fleet to prepare. Do your research, you have so many options available to you, most people just don't explore them. Good luck, were here to help if you need it.

Thread Information