The Corps Today, Yesterday, Tomorrow. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Another thing I found unusual, but again, who am I to argue with USMC policy? I have nothing to do with it, and it doesn't affect me in the least. But I still found it unusual. And in various sections of this forum, not often, but sometimes, I've seen it discussed. I've even received a few PMs inquiring about it, and I am the last person they would expect a helpful answer from.....it is this-----In my era, we finished boot camp and immediately went to ITR, Infantry Training Regiment, advanced infantry training, at Camp Geiger, as you know, part of Lejeune.

Nowadays, they graduate from boot camp and go home, THEN go to MCT. I have had more than one person PM me saying What Should I do, I am losing, or will be losing motivation while at home, I finished boot camp and while I was still revved up, they sent me home on leave, THEN I have to go and do MCT straight from my home. Do you think I will end up getting my motivation back in time for MCT???

Credits
    Savings
    So, in other words, the momentum of boot camp is lost, and the Marine must psyche himself or herself up all over again and report to MCT, whereas had they gone straight from boot camp like we did in the old days, that motivation would still be there. There would be no way to lose it that quickly. But, this is just an observation of mine. Maybe it's a great idea to have leave between boot camp and MCT, but the two or three PMs I received about it didn't portray it in that light.

Credits
    Savings
    What else? Equipment. It is far superior to what we had. I have seen photos, in Leatherneck Magazine, and Billy (Mongoose) has also, of present-day Marines in combat gear and I hardly recognized them as Marines, they were so well equipped with all the latest technological gear. We were indeed bare-bones so to speak, in our day. So this equipment improvement and technology is really something to see.

Credits
    Savings
    Open squad bays at Lejeune. A thing of the past, I think, or shortly to become one. Nowadays they have rooms. We had cubicles on that small Navy base I mentioned. Three to a cubicle, a lot better than the open squad bay at Comm Co, Hq Bn, 2nd Mar Div. But I think open squad bays are fading out fast, from what I hear. Maybe there are none left.

At Lejeune we lived in open squad bays, when I became an MP we had cubicles with 8 to a cube. I also realize that many Marines over state their combat experience, however, at many of the places that I was at my posts have tended to minimized those experiences as even most Marines would not believe the real experience.

As Billy and FistFu were with me at the Hook at Meade River in the Dodge City area they will also attest that we all have minimized those experiences. An unbelievable reality is most definitely hard to believe. Just saying.

Credits
    Savings
    I can definitely see, over the years, all three of you downplaying/minimizing what actually happened over there.

The Corps top Brass and NCO's, dubbed the battle at the Hook, as the Iwo Jima of Viet Nam.

BEQs: They were segregated by gender until about 10 years ago. Now they're only segregated at the room level instead of the building level. Yes, we have many claims of sexual assault/harassment/EO offense that originate from the "bricks" now.

Gear: The weight of our equipment and gear keeps increasing. No one likes wearing their kit, but the survivability of the individual Marine has increased dramatically compared to past wars.

Post Bootcamp: Everyone gets about a week of boot leave to go home and brag to the poolies, see mom, etc. It helps the Marine by giving him time to take care of personal stuff, marry his high school sweetheart, get a moto tattoo, etc. It helps the Marine Corps by keeping the poolies motivated, thinking "that will be me in 13 weeks". Then grunts go to SOI and POGs go to MCT. I'm not a prior and haven't done either, but I'm told they aren't that different. We had a handful of females attempt and complete SOI about a year ago. TBH, I am not sure why we changed from sending everyone through SOI. MCT costs less maybe?

Grunts go through much more intense training, it is not the same. Also grunts continue the training over and over again. We learned a lot.

Also we were indoctrinated into the concept that on the job training, was part of our training. In other words, we could not even whisper, I wasn't trained for that shet. We were always either exercising our talent or learning a new talent. Made no difference if it was in the mist of combat.

Thread Information