What are my chances to get an approved medical waiver?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What are my chances to get an approved medical waiver?

Hi, everyone. Just a bit of background, I am 23 years old, 5'10" and 165lbs. I run 2-3 half marathons every year, lift weights 5-6 times per week, do ruck marches 1-2 times per week, and have scored a 296 on the PFT. I have a bachelor's degree in Accounting from a well respected business school, CPA license, and hold a position on the board of advisors for a not-for-profit. All of that being said, when I was 16 years old I broke my left clavicle and had it fixed with a plate and nine screws. I have never had an issue with my shoulder, even when lifting heavy on shoulder days (military press over 100lbs), or hiking with 60+ pounds on my back. With all of these into consideration, will I actually have a shot at getting an approved medical waiver with the Corps? I am 100% set on a military career, and am willing to do whatever it takes to earn a commission or enlist as a Marine, whichever I am able to do. Please let me know what thoughts you all have, I'm really looking for some honest, genuine advice. Thanks everyone.

Similar Threads:

Get with your local Marine Officer Selection Officer (OSO) ... you should have no problem.

Thanks for the quick response. I've been working closely with the SSgt in my OSO's office, and he seems hopeful, but we're still waiting to hear from MEPS as to whether I can go in for the physical. I'm assuming I'll fail the physical, and start the waiver process. Does that sound correct?

You may not fail the physical, but if you do, they can request a waiver. Good luck!

Thank you very much, I'll be sure to keep posting through the process!

And if anyone has any insight or a similar experience, I would love to hear about it.

Medical waivers are a crap shoot. I've seen waivers approved I was convinced never had a snowball's chance in hell. All you can do is go through the process and hope for the best ( or pray if that's your preference).

I know it has been a few years since your clavicle was repaired. Be prepared for the MEPS docs to want to review your civilian medical records and maybe request a statement from your current family physician (to cover their butts). They may not, but be prepared if they do. If you can provide to them the documentation they need, they may not require a waiver at all.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response, Tennessee Top. I've gathered all of my medical records for the surgery and have it at my OSO's officer where they sent it with my initial application for MEPS. I'm prepared to undergo whatever stress testing they need to do on my shoulder to prove it's strength.

I'll continue to post updates, and thank you all for the genuine and encouraging responses.

Might not be neccessary, but a member on another forum I belong to had old hardware removed and then was able to join (army aviation). Also, definitely go the officer route.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the response. A slight update today, my SSgt got a PDQ back from MEPS and my docs were sent to the Corpsman. A couple of guys from our area just went to/finished OCS with more severe past shoulder injuries than mine, so things look hopeful. Also, I'm doing a ground contract and definitely want to do the officer route, so it sounds like having the hardware removed won't be necessary because the altitude/aircraft restrictions shouldn't apply to me, but we'll see what the Corpsman says. As always, I'll keep this thread updated as I go, and I'm happy to hear insight from everyone.

A Corpsman has no say,the only people that do are medical officers.

I believe all Navy/Marine Corps waivers are processed through BUMED.

Mike

Also confused why/how a corpsman would be involved. Corpsmen treat Marines in the fleet. They are not doctors and have nothing to do with waivers.

The Corpsman may not be involved, that's just how the process was described to me. I do know in the end it will be the medical officer giving his final opinion to MEPS, but we just got a new medical officer and things are a bit slow. It also sounds like right now we're just trying to determine if I should through a Golden Shoulder physical for a stronger case. It still sounds hopeful, but like everyone says, waivers are a crap shoot and I can't really feel confident until MEPS is over and I'm cleared to put my application in front of the board.

In my experience the MO at meps will classify virtually everything as disqualifying and it will be on your branch to waive it. I am in the process of joining the army and MEPS wouldnt even let me phys until the National Guard Bureau approved it because I had a rating for a back and knee strain from the USMC. Likewise after I physed I was disqualified and the NGB had to waive it for me to join.

Mike

It sounds like you and I are pretty much in the same boat. I was PDQ'd in the pre-screen, so we have to get a waiver just for me to report. Then I'll go through MEPS, probably get another PDQ, then do another waiver to be able to submit for the December boards. Have you already gotten through all of the waivers and are approved for boards?

Thread Information