What are my chances to get an approved medical waiver? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm doing aviation so it's slightly different. Guard waived me to enlist as a helicopter repairer (and ultimately aircrew, so that was good) almost a week after MEPS DQd me after my phys. As it stands I am NOT enlisting, and am instead submitting a packet to be a pilot. I have an entirely separate physical I need to take that is overseen by army aeromed; MEPS is out of the loop at this point as they've done their part. I have had to get an EKG, extensive bloodwork, extensive eye testing, etc, and this (along with the information about my back and knee) will go to Ft Rucker. from there they will either require their own waiver or not, which is all handled in the army internally, in order for me to be classified as having a Class 1 Flight Physical.

Once the Class 1 flight physical is in hand, it, along with a bunch of other stuff (APFT scores, SIFT test, ASVAB results, personal essay, letters of recommendation, etc) is assembled into a packet for review by the board. Final step is I go in for an interview, and hopefully get selected the first time around. The active duty process is similar, except that the Guard board is comprised of Officers and Warrant Officers from that state's aviation unit, rather than a random local board made up of members of the big army.

So I don't yet know if I'll need additional waivers, but my waivers for joining the army are good to go. Not sure if I will need a different waiver from the National Guard Bureau for going in as a pilot candidate rather than a repairer. I don't think I will since repairers are on a track to be aircrew, but I could be wrong. I guess I'll cross that bridge sometime after I am selected and before I start WOFT.

You seem to be under the impression you would need the hardware removed if you were going air instead of ground. If that is true, it just reinforces the idea that it will be the USMC (Naval BUMED) making the call, as MEPS isn't qualified to make MOS based determinations on physical requirements.

I'd be stunned if this kept you out of the military... again I think worst case is you'd need the hardware removed.

Mike

Wow, it sounds like the process you've had to go through is significantly more in depth than mine, at least at this time. I've heard from a few people that aviation positions typically require more, just because of the nature of the job. Congrats on getting this far through, and it sounds like it should be wrapping up soon for you. I can't imagine the relief you'll feel when it's all said and done and you can submit; this whole waiver process just adds that small doubt in the back of your mind that is tough to shake. Again, congrats on everything you've been through.

The more I read into it, it does sound like BUMED is really in control, and I just can't report to MEPS until BUMED waives me the first time. I know my true MOS determination wouldn't be until TBS, but my SSgt and I have narrowed it down to 3-4 and they're all strictly ground, so I can't imagine the hardware would have to come out just because it really wouldn't provide any benefit and I'd have to do more rehab for the bone with holes in it. The more I talk to folks who have gone through something the similar, the more hopeful I am.

It gives me a hobby lol... but yea it's been a pain in the ass. I'm going to write a blog post on it when I'm done that will hopefully save future applicants 90% of the time... because honestly I've spent most of my time getting answers and going back and forth with people just to find out what I need to do. Active duty is more straight forward. Guard side though, states have their own weird ways of doing things. That's a plus on the USMC side... it's all uniform, even reserves.

I don't see why they would require you to get hardware removed, I just know that on the army aviation side I've heard of people being told to have hardware removed, and having done so, in order to get accepted. We aren't doctors, we don't work for BUMED or MEPS, so we really have no idea why they decide what they decide.

Bottom line is I'm pretty confident this won't keep you out of the military, it might just be a pain in the ass on your part. Hopefully you don't need it removed, cause that sounds like unnecessary pain.

Mike

USMC officers only have 3 career paths. Aviation, ground, or law (JAG). If you're not going to be a pilot or a lawyer, you'll be ground.

I wonder if you had both clavicles removed..you wouldn't be the first Marine without clavicles.

Haha it's honestly become kind of hobby of mine too, just reading all of the different stories and perspectives on joining the military through the waiver process. I would say the various blogs I've read from guys in the USMC who went through something similar have been extremely helpful, so I know future applicants would definitely appreciate any insight you can give them.

That's the worst part, just not knowing what exactly they'll want. It's sounding more and more like golden shoulder screening is where I'll end up, which I'd rather do than another surgery. But hey, if it takes another surgery in order to become a Marine, I'd do it without thinking twice. It'll all be worth it in the long run.

Slight Update: Had a consultation with my surgeon this morning, and removal of the clavicle plate would be very easy and would take about 3 months to fully recover for heavy, upper-body lifting. I would be lifting legs the day after surgery, and could resume running within 2 weeks.

Still no news from BUMED, so still no MEPS date.

Don't run and have another surgery. There is no guarantee that you will even be able to apply again, if the BUMED waiver fails. If they do allow you to apply again there's no guarantee that removal of the plate will make them approve your waiver.

Also, keep in mind there will be a wait time between your surgery and when you can reapply. For the RS I used to work in applicants had to wait 12 months from the day of surgery before they could apply.

Kamauxx, thanks for your insight and concern. Just to clarify, this surgery is one I've been planning to get for a few years now (removing a plate is much easier on the body at 23 than at 45-50). Also, I have not actually applied for a waiver yet, as I have been unable to go to MEPS due to being PDQ'd during the pre-screen.

I would have to wait 6 months before I could be cleared for anything, but could go to MEPS after 4-5 months for my phys then be TDQ'd because of the surgery. Then, I'd have to go back again after the 6 month mark to be cleared of that, and the waiver would no longer be required because the hardware is the issue, not the past injury itself. Luckily my surgeon has a pretty extensive history of working with military applicants and active duty members, so he was able to shed some good light on how the process and timeline goes. His words, "expect to be required to get surgeries, tests, etc. as quickly as possible, but be ready to wait months for a response from the military authority."

Another update. BUMED approved me to phys at MEPS, and everything went well there. I got the official PDQ from the Assistant CMO there, but she said she thought I was good to go, especially given my activity level and the level of PT I've already been doing. I know none of that matters in the long run, but she did ultimately recommend me for a waiver so that could help. My SSgt said he feels good about it all, but for now we're back to the waiting game and at the final step until I get a final "yes" or "no" to the waiver.

Final update. Got the final news today and my waiver request was approved. Tying up loose ends in my application for the next board (228) and hopefully getting selected for shipping next summer. Thank you to everyone who provided insight and advice, I appreciate it and look forward to becoming a part of the brotherhood. Feel free to close the thread and send any messages my way if someone needs advice or insight on the waiver process.

Final final update. I went through OCS and am currently a 2nd Lt at TBS, and Artillery is my #1 choice right now. It's a long POI here and we don't get our jobs until around Christmas, but I'm honestly just excited to be here as a Marine Officer. Thanks for the support, Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by STLUSMC01 View Post
    Final final update. I went through OCS and am currently a 2nd Lt at TBS, and Artillery is my #1 choice right now. It's a long POI here and we don't get our jobs until around Christmas, but I'm honestly just excited to be here as a Marine Officer. Thanks for the support, Marines.
    Congratulation, Lt. you might want to PM the admin here to have your status updated, and please do stick around, we don't have too many legit Officers here anymore, the ones we do get once in a while wind up just being wanna-B's lol and either banned or run away and hide when found out( and it don't take to long to find that out.lol)

Thank you, the relief of getting through the entire process is great, and thankfully it has kept me pretty motivated because I know I'm lucky to be here. I'm absolutely going to stick around and be as much help as possible, so anyone reading this can feel free to message me for anything.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations, Lieutenant!----PM Foxtrotoscar so he (admin) can change your status to Marine.

Thread Information