Looking to start my own business
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to start my own business

I'm wondering if any Vietnam Vets out there have started their own businesses...and how the business is doing? I'm a Nam Vet getting ready to retire and I'm looking at starting another business.

Similar Threads:

Maybe I worded this inquiry the wrong way? Are there any Marines who have started their own business...and how is doing? I am considering starting another business when I retire, possibly next year. The way things are looking now is it could be a seasonal type business...depends on a lot of factors. I'd like to find out what other Marines/Vets have done starting their up their businesses.

I was unable to edit the last post. What I meant to say in the last sentence is, I'd like to find out what other Marines/Vets have done when starting up their businesses.

Why are you asking this question? You should be retiring 'bout now much less than thinking about doing a start up. On the other hand, if you just won the lottery and want to dabble, that's another subject. Point: you don't have to be a former Marine to start/operate a company.

A lot of people think retirement is doing what you want to do, when you want to do it fl1946. That's what I going to do...start another business. Actually I will have the business operational before I retire. I'm in good health and enjoy working...in other words I'm not ready to retire. Plus I think this venture will be enjoyable and I have a lot of support from my family and friends. I like discussing business, especially with Marines/Vets that have started their own business.

Semper Fi,

Credits
    Savings
    I had a plumbing and mechanical business in the 80's. Starting up is easy go to your sect of states offices or whoever handles incorporation and business registration. go to the IRS office and get an employer ID. get the same from your state, get a bank account, insurance, a records system, business cards, stationary ect, get busy.You can do all of it without a lawyer If it's any kind of service get ready to meet people who are going to screw you and learn how to file liens.

Damn Tony....when you take a vacation, it's a long one, brother.

Wow HST, small world. I was a plumber for 24 years. I'm out of the trade now except for small jobs for friends and relatives here and there. I'm shifting gears and looking at starting up a fast food trailer (handcrafted smoked sausages).

Credits
    Savings
    I stop in occasionally Billy and comment on interesting issues but there's usually not much happening here or on any of the sites, take care and Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    I've been around the trade for over 40 years. I ended up being the supervisor of plumbing inspection for St. Louis County, MO. and the municipal contract/disaster inspection manager until I retired in 2013. From a plumber to a sausage maker is quite a transition reminds me of an incident with an Italian sausage place that had mob connections that got caught adding road kills to the blend... when the cops asked him about them he said "you know it's them cows that don't moo" Good luck and don't use any of those kinds of cows

You're right HST going from a plumber to sausage maker isn't the usual (normal) career transition. Oh by the way my wife corrected me (the good woman she is). I was a plumber for 26 years...not 24 before moving on to Engineering Tech. How I got interested in sausage making is partially her fault. I used to make beef jerky for our 4 kids, being a poor boy I made it the oven. I used to make it weekly when I had a day off. I'm from New Mexico so I made my beef jerky with a lot of red & green dried chile from home...not like they like it the Pacific Northwest sweet and salty. I used to take it in to work with me, the guys at work really liked it and started buying it. The wife wasn't found of me making jerky in her oven especially on hot summer days. So her and the kids bought me an electric smoker for Christmas (to use in the garage). I have expanded to a smoke house now. I then discovered a family recipe quite by accident while we were visiting back in Nebraska many years ago. My great great grandfather who came from Germany used to make Landjaeger. Now that I discovered that and his recipe, I had to try my hand at making Landjaeger. Soon I had a big following of people who wanted to buy my jerky and Landjaeger (it's a full time job). I've added a garlic chicken sausage and a chicken apple sausage (both spicy and non spicy) I'm working on others as we speak. The next step is a food trailer.

Credits
    Savings
    Good luck Brother, You know they say if you like what you;re doing It ain't work.

Copy that HST. My best friend Nitro (my dog) and I are going to check out an outfit that contacted me about supplying us meat for the business this morning. There prices sound good, but I need to check out the quality of their meats...there is a BIG difference between meat, even when it's choice grade. Nitro is a lot like me (I think he has ptsd just like me) I know we are the 3rd family that's owned him. He's a cross Pit Bull and Australian Cattle dog. I got him from my middle son who lives in Southern California when he got in trouble down there for chewing through his water sprinkler system. The poor guy was left alone for at least 12 hours a day...what can you expect. He is high energy, high maintenance and lacks social skills but other than that he's a GREAT dog. Like I said a lot like me. Take care HST and God Bless.

What was your MOS Rattlesnake...???

FoxtrotOscar my mos was 1811, Tanker.

Thread Information