MOS questions
Create Post

Thread: MOS questions

MOS questions

#1 I am looking into the utilities field as my number one choice. I would like to be an electrician. I would hate to be part of water purification. Does anyone know if there is a high demand for electricians, or am I most likely going to be a water dog. Any comment is appreciated.

#2 What other jobs can I be placed into if I choose utilities?

Similar Threads:

Nobody here can answer #1 for you. You can't be guaranteed a ground electrician contract (there are also aviation electricians). All you can be guaranteed is a utilities program. The primary MOS you ultimately end up with after Marine Combat Training (MCT), will depend on the needs of the Marine Corps at that time. Doesn't matter what the demand for ground electricians or water dogs is today. What matters is the demand when the time comes to assign your primary MOS - in the future. No recruiter can look into the future and tell you if you'll be an electrician or water purifier. How lucky do you feel?

As for #2, GOOGLE is your friend. Or, you can visit your local recruiter and they'll be glad to explain the utilities program to you.

For what it's worth. My niece is a ground electrician and does not like the MOS (was not her first choice). She was the class leader, honor graduate, and made meritorious Lance Corporal out of her ground electricians MOS school at Camp LeJeune. To give you an idea of what they do. She recently participated in a field training exercise. The electricians ran wire to all the large tents providing lights/electricity, then maintained the portable generators. Once everything was set up and running properly, the electricians pretty much sat around all day (for a week) till time to tear everything down, inventory it, and put it all back in the warehouse for next time.

When are you going to visit your recruiting station?

Utilities (CU contract):
    1141, Electrician;
    1142, Engineer Equipment Electrical Systems Technician;
    1161, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technician;
    1171, Water Support Technician.

Thread Information