What jobs can a MP get? (Post military)
Create Post

an MP in what. the Marine Corps? the Army? how did you come to get 10+ years as an MP?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    an MP in what. the Marine Corps? the Army? how did you come to get 10+ years as an MP?
    Marines. (I assumed it was this website) and 10 was a random number....when someone goes into the mp field can they not keep reinlisting till they get 10 years of experience or more.

One can REQUEST to reenlist when their current contract is about to expire. Nothing is guaranteed. I know plenty of excellent Marines (some with families) who wanted to reenlist but couldn't because there was no place for them. Reenlisting is something one can hope for, but that doesn't mean it'll happen.

What job can you get? Any job that you could get after 10 years in the infantry, 10 years in supply, or 10 years as a tanker.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by silveradomick View Post
    What job can you get? Any job that you could get after 10 years in the infantry, 10 years in supply, or 10 years as a tanker.
    So if I applied for a job as a police officer. Being a mp has no value over a tanker? I think being a mp is better than a tanker

Civilian Policing looks at service, not at what you did. You get veterans preference on a civil service exam no matter what your MOS. Of course you'll learn skills as an MP that you can apply in civilian policing, but there's little direct correlation. I spent 6 years as an MP in the creamed corn, and I'm in my 11th year of civvie LE

Credits
    Savings
    Civilian Policing looks at service, not at what you did. You get veterans preference on a civil service exam no matter what your MOS. Of course you'll learn skills as an MP that you can apply in civilian policing, but there's little direct correlation. I spent 6 years as an MP in the creamed corn, and I'm in my 11th year of civvie LE
    That's a bummer but thanks for letting me know!��

There's a caveat to that. The army has a warrant officer specialty known as CID. They are a common feeder into some hard to get federal LE jobs. http://www.cid.army.mil/militaryagents2.html

I only mention it because I heard about it on a podcast I was listening to and it seemed like a pretty sweet gig. That said, you can't go right into it (unless you meet the listed requirements), so you could always do a few years as a Marine MP, then move on over into the Army and apply to this program. And as previously mentioned, none of that is guaranteed.

Mike

Recommendation. Why don't you try to talk to your local law enforcement officials and see how they feel about MP experience. Their opinions carry more weight than ours.

Why a bummer? I mean, if you have your heart set on being an MP, it's certainly not gonna hurt your chances of going into civilian LE. If you have your heart set on civilian LE, and want to enlist first, that's only going to help your chances as well. Not really sure what you were hoping for here.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Recommendation. Why don't you try to talk to your local law enforcement officials and see how they feel about MP experience. Their opinions carry more weight than ours.
    Good point

Credits
    Savings
    Why a bummer? I mean, if you have your heart set on being an MP, it's certainly not gonna hurt your chances of going into civilian LE. If you have your heart set on civilian LE, and want to enlist first, that's only going to help your chances as well. Not really sure what you were hoping for here.
    The bummer was I thought being a MP was better than a tanker and all but either way it's still a boost on my resume so I'm still happy

Define "better". I know a few tank crewmen who'd punch you in the mouth over a statement like that.

And if you're planning on joining the Corps to boost your resume...you need to plan "better".

Thread Information