Females in Infantry??
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Females in Infantry??

I am a poolee and am currently trying to decide my MOS. Either infantry or Combat Support. I honestly just want to have fun during my first contract then LAT move. I have no physical limits; cross-fit, roman greco wrestling, and competitive weightlifting is what my life is pretty much. I just want feed back, honestly, what is really in the eyes of Marines, that a female like myself enlisted into the 0300 field?

Similar Threads:

Honestly, many will be somewhat supportive of whatever you choose..

On a serious note, many on this site are Vets in the 03 field and have issues with women in that role...

It's extremely demanding physically, filthier than can be imagined, backbreaking, and emotionally draining...

I understand you will say your into physical fitness, and such, but it's not the same...

This is just my opinion and mine alone at this point..

Women can be in virtually any field if 100% qualified, just not GRUNTS/0300...

That's a bad mix.

Other's will come on and add their perspectives...

FO

Credits
    Savings
    Shirley -You Jest.

Credits
    Savings
    Shirley -My money is on you that some way or another you maybe able to start a third or fourththread on this line of thinking....

#1 Sweetie.....you have to make it through boot-camp. It's not all physical, by any means. Been plenty of physical fit boots can't handle the mental adjustment.

Not a grunt, and never seen combat (although I was shot at by irate Haitians but never returned fire). Will leave the women in combat debate up to the combat veterans here.

I was a Battalion Career Planner for awhile so know how lateral moves work (every lat move request in our battalion came across my desk). If someone is leaving you to believe getting a lateral move approved after your initial contract is easy, or something you can plan on happening, they are not being sincere with you. There are a lot of rules, the stars have to align just right, timing is everything, and the folks at the Manpower Management Branch at Headquarters Marine Corps have the final say. Because you feel like you want to try/do something else as a Marine your next enlistment is not a consideration.

Was not a grunt. But 22.6 years as a Marine taught me there is nothing fun about life in the infantry. In fact, it can be a miserable experience.

You have some misconceptions about being a Marine which is understandable for a poolee. I give you credit for coming here and asking your questions as that's what this forum is for.

Good luck.

Marine Family Free Member Mistybluelady's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not that my 2cents is worth anything, however... up here in Canada if a female is apply to the military or police or fire or ambulance , the fitness qualifications are much less than what a gentleman is expected to be able to do. Personally I do not think thats fair. If you want to do the job you should have to be able to endure the same treatment, training and fitness levels. My personal feelings are women dont belong where they can not tow the line the same as the men. Women are hormonal and react differently then men... and in situations where your team needs to rely on you, you need to be able to pull your weight and respond rather than react.......as for fun? Im not sure combat, conflict or conditions are fun, and the potential to perhaps have to kill or be killed is probably not fun either.. just ask any Vet...

Last edited by Mistybluelady; 06-19-17 at 11:10 AM. Reason: adding more

if it's "fun" in war you're looking for, DO NOT join the Marine Corps... stay home and play your video game warfare.... grunts are a bunch of filthy, crude, abusive, tired, hungry, arrogant, self righteous, fiercely loyal, BEAUTIFULLY MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS ever created, and I, like every other Marine that has been an 03, or served in a Marine Infantry unit think that there are no finer human beings on this planet.... most also think that a Marine Infantry unit is NO PLACE for a female.... not because of any "anti female" sentiments (we LOVE the female of the species, LONG TIME), but because it is not PRATCICAL for WOMEN TO BE INFANTRY TROOPS... they lack the physical strength, stamina, and mental disposition to be grunts... they also face certain hygienic obstacles that are simply impractical to address in the field situations that grunts mostly live in..... JMHO....

Quote Originally Posted by Mistybluelady View Post
    Not that my 2cents is worth anything, however... up here in Canada if a female is apply to the military or police or fire or ambulance , the fitness qualifications are much less than what a gentleman is expected to be able to do. Personally I do not think thats fair. If you want to do the job you should have to be able to endure the same treatment, training and fitness levels. My personal feelings are women dont belong where they can not tow the line the same as the men. Women are hormonal and react differently then men... and in situations where your team needs to rely on you, you need to be able to pull your weight and respond rather than react.......as for fun? Im not sure combat, conflict or conditions are fun, and the potential to perhaps have to kill or be killed is probably not fun either.. just ask any Vet...
    My take:
    I agree with every word.
    Expressed clearly and rationally....excellent response.

I say no women in any direct ground combat/units.
    Label me anything you like....I don't care.

I tend to think my opinion is against consensus here and certainly means nothing in the PC world we currently live in.

Semper Fi to you MBL!

Carry on....

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    My take:
    I agree with every word.
    Expressed clearly and rationally....excellent response.

I say no women in any direct ground combat/units.
    Label me anything you like....I don't care.

I tend to think my opinion is against consensus here and certainly means nothing in the PC world we currently live in.

Semper Fi to you MBL!

Carry on....
    I agree as well with both of the last 2 posts. I'm a fighter and a lover, problem is that if women were in my unit I might become confused as 2 which one was to be dominant at any given time (pun intended).

I guess I'm different.....I believe any woman that has the heart to make it through the training, should be given a chance. I think women would know that their life depends on the lives of their brother grunts, and would do what's expected, when it's expected. Women have been warriors ever since the Viking days, when taken seriously, and treated with respect.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well I guess I'm against concensus too, a few of you know me, I'm not weak, I'm very strong, mentally and physically . I have had a gun in my face, been threatened at knife point, jumped into a bar fight with guys, I'm no light weight ....but I still cannot do the job of a man, the are physically stronger....changing the rules so a woman can do what prove herself equal? Then make them lift,carry,support and be able to match a man equally with no special standard just for women. It's bs....we do not belong in infantry. I'm sure if there are many ladies left here I'm not going to be popular, but it's my opinion and even myself could potentially put my team at risk, and no amount of politically correct or human rights infringement will ever change my opinion.

Totally correct. There were times when I was so worn out that I knew I couldn't go another step. BUT I ain't no quitter. I always just asked to be able to hear the 1st shot, I knew I could then go into action and kill more gooks. Being a grunt ain't for the weak hearted or weak minded.

If anyone doesn't pack the internal gear that's required for Marine Corp Infantry they are weeded out quickly. If some kind soul fails to weed out the weak in training don't worry, the gooks will do that job. My buds and I used to always like getting in fng's, that meant they would get less of us. Just saying.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Im not really sure if the Marines have a different standard for women? here where I live , my husband is a first responder (firefighter) by the time you get dressed in bunker gear and add your oxygen you have added close to 50lbs of extra weight, then the hose its heavy add water pressure and your looking at probably another 50lbs or so. But it burns my butt that the ladies do not have to meet the same requirements, in training and to pass the physicall testing prior the maximum they have to be able to carry,drag lift is almost 40lbs less than the men? A first year female at her first fire, went up the ladder and came promptly back down and sat on the grass in full panick mode, and I am suppose to feel comfortable with her as my spouses back up, hell no. This same female had one year in then followed by 3 maternity leaves each a year, and now has Captain rank? BS BS BS...... on a closing note, if a man has to earn the title of Marine so therefore should a women earn it but meeting the same exact standards.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    you are just everywhere arent you? and always the negative.. its not a macho attitude its opinions, if you open your eyes and read you will clearly see Billy and Mike agree , and a few of us do not... i certainly do not have a macho attitude and my opinion is no a women belongs in combat. Its to bad you cant state your opinion without bashing someone else s...

Thread Information