In memory of my dad - inquiry
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

In memory of my dad - inquiry

Hello everyone. Im a daughter of a Marine. My dad fought in WWII 4th Division Howitzer. He was a sharp shooter and fought at Iwo Jima. He passed away at the age of 94 this past January and I want to get a tattoo to remember him. I didnt know what my dad contributed to the war until recently. When I was a child he never spoke about his time in the war to any of us kids. When my mom passed away he became much closer with his daughters and it was then Id learned the huge sacrifice he made at such a young age. He slowly began to share the non-violent stories of friends hed made and bonds hed forged. When we asked about the fighting aspect his reply would be you dont need to hear those types of things. No one should hear those types of stories. In light of what I know of the battles he was in from a purely historic standpoint, I know he saw great bloodshed. I am so proud of him and so proud of what he did for our country. Therefore, I want to do this right and not offend anyone; especially the Marines, those who currently serve and those who have gone before you. I want to get the Marine emblem but I want to stay away from having a RIP Dad type thing on there because I just dont want a constant reminder that hes gone. Id rather look at this tattoo with pride for what my dad did for this country and joy that I had him as long as I did. If I, as a civilian were to get the emblem, am I insulting the Marines? Any advice on this and etiquette would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, thank you all so much for your sacrifice. I am thankful to each and every one of you.

Similar Threads:

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Maam; Realizing that my advice is worth every penny you paid for it, are you aware that the Museum of the Marine Corps, Quantico, has a walkway paved with memorial bricks dedicated to Marines and their sacrifices? That might be a more permanent way to remember your Dad and our brother.

Credits
    Savings
    Dear Deduke:

Thank you for this. I did not know they did this and it is definitely something I'm going to do for my dad. My family would like it very much as well. Thank you again for this info!

and to our Brother who has gone before us, RIP Brother, on to the streets paved with gold.

The Proud, The Few, The Constitutional Marine

Credits
    Savings
    I would just like to say this forum is wonderful. Your respect for each other as brothers is something that amazes me and I am so proud my dad was a part of your corps.

Dear Gina I am Honored to be in the presence of a Hero's daughter. He did alot of things to make sure our democracy was secured. It was an honor to meet you. And in my opinion and I am sure alot of my brothers wont mind is that your dad is a forefather who made the Marine what they are today, so Maam the old saying Goes Semper Fi. God Bless you Gina

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Dear Doc:

Thank you for this comment, it made my day. The more I read about the battle my dad was in the more I appreciate his contribution to our country and the more I stand in awe of it. He was a great father and I am so proud that others - especially his brothers in arms - appreciate his contribution.

God bless and even though I'm not sure I'm allowed to say this as a civilian, Semper Fi.

Gina

Quote Originally Posted by howitzer View Post
    Hello everyone. Im a daughter of a Marine. My dad fought in WWII 4th Division Howitzer. He was a sharp shooter and fought at Iwo Jima. .
    Out of my own curiosity I found there is some historical info about the 4th MarDiv in WWII that you may find interesting.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wwii...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Some of the info may help you connect the dots about your dad's WWII service.

Marine daughter....my respect to your dad.

Carry on....

Credits
    Savings
    Oh my gosh thank you SO MUCH for this. I'm very excited to look at it. I've been watching some documentaries about this battle but find it too bloody to continue to watch. It is a wonder my dad came home in one physical piece. As I said above, he never spoke about the violence aspect of his service so my siblings and I have had to piece together just what he did while there. I know he was a sharp shooter and either manned the howitzer or somehow was related to it – not exactly even sure what a howitzer is…a cannon? At any rate, I know he saw a lot of fighting where he was and he was quite young, literally enlisted while in high school and shipped out directly after his graduation.

Thank you again so much for this information, I can’t wait to share it with my brother and sisters. I appreciate it very much and am so touched by the warm reception I have received here.

Marine Family Free Member Mistybluelady's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    How touching of a tribute to commemorate a loved one in one of those memorial bricks. I was in VA, I wish i had been able to see it. Boston has a very pretty garden near the Paul Revere monument full of dog tags, one for Military person gone, its beautiful and makes the most beautiful sound when the wind blows . Im sure your father would be very proud.

Credits
    Savings
    Dear Mistybluelady:

Thank you. My siblings actually just purchased a brick for my dad at the recommendation of Deduke. I will go visit it when it is laid. As for the memorial in Boston, I live in Massachusetts and am walking distance from the Paul Revere monument. I will have to look into this, I wonder if I could have a replica of my dad's dog tags made and hang them there because then I could visit them often. Thank you for this information and honestly coming here has been very healing for me. My dad just passed in January and so many times I pick up the phone to call him and now he's gone it is heart wrenching all over again. The fact that everyone here is so kind and thoughtful and greatly appreciative of his contribution is so touching. People used to stop him to shake his hand and thank him for his when he would wear his WWII veterans baseball cap and he was also so humble. He would always say ""oh, that's okay. It was my pleasure. I wasn't the only one there."

If I haven't said it already, thank you one and all for your service to this country.

Credits
    Savings
    Oh I was just reading about that memorial and it is Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans. If anyone here knows of anyone who lost their life in these wars and wans me to lay the dog tags for them at this monument I will gladly do so for you.

and to our Brother who has gone before us, RIP Brother, on to the streets paved with gold.[/QUOTE]

AMEN

Thread Information