Good movie, Jack Webb does a good job. Scene from the D. I.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

They showed us this movie when we were in 5th phase at PI. I always liked it but Full Metal Jacket was more realistic to my time.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yeah, my platoon saw it too in Third Phase. We thought it was neat, 90-minutes of relaxation in an air conditioned theater. Nobody cared what the subject matter was about. Our DIs did patrol to make sure no one fell asleep though.

My favorite part has always been about their searching for the dead sand flea so they could give it a proper funeral.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post

my platoon saw it too .

We thought it was neat,
    90-minutes of relaxation
    in an air conditioned theater.

Nobody cared
    what the subject matter was about.

Our DIs did patrol to make sure no one fell asleep though.

My favorite part has always been about their searching for the dead sand flea so they could give it a proper funeral.

I guess the CORPS by then had become a
    "SoftBunch of Pussies" -

"When I went thru "
    The choices at the time were to either
    #1 view it @ the base gymnasium
    or
    #2 the base swimming pool-

We lucked out and got to view the flick
    sitting on the wooden deck of the gym.

The rest of us were anxious to see just how
    long we could tread water !

Movies at PI, hard for me to believe , what the hell happened to Marine Corps boot camp?

Yes, the truth is now coming out. At PI we had movies every night except on Saturday, then we had a dinner dance and a floor show. None of us wanted to leave, ever.

I remember at PI that the truck came around the barracks and took us to town to go bar hopping every Friday night.

ORDO AD CHAO

That's why we real Marines at SD, called PI Disneyland. Our Marine brother Dave told me they had bleachers around PI, so parents could come and watch their off springs have fun.

I heard they have a Roach Coach that comes to the Rifle Range at Pleasure Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    I heard they have a Roach Coach that comes to the Rifle Range at Pleasure Island.
    ROFLMBO, okay not that's funny,...

Wow, "Roach Coach" I haven't heard that saying in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    ROFLMBO, okay not that's funny,...
    I mean NOW that's funny.

We watched "The D.I." at the Silver Dollar drive-in in Phoenix back in the summer of 1956. Me, my girlfriend, and my best buddy in the backseat with his girlfriend. Somewhere around the middle of the movie I said, "I'm gonna be a Marine!" They all laughed. Jim said, "Hey, ain't you seeing what's going on in the movie?" I said "YEP!", and they all laughed again. "No way you'd make it in that there Marine Corps," said Jim. February 12, 1958, I joined the Corps. August 31, 1985, retired on 28 years. Best decision of my life.

Credits
    Savings
    The D.I.'s on the rifle range in the week of snapping in brought coffee and crispy creme doughnuts for all the D.I.'s and the instructor ! that was probably the madest I was in boot up to that point lol no roach coaches that I remember? in the Full metal jacket movie pvt.pyle got a jelly doughnut into the barracks! where in the world did he find a jelly doughnut? let alone get it back to the barracks ! when we wanted something sweet? we ate packets of sugar that I remember. and we never saw a movie at P.i. we saw one at Gieger at the drive -in on the gravel though

Thread Information