Interrogation in the Marine Corps?
Create Post

Question Interrogation in the Marine Corps?

Hey guys, I was reading some type of book called Intelligence Interrogation and it was labeled as a "military grade" book. I was reading it for fun and I started wondering what guys in the Corps interrogate people? I would assume it'd be HUMINT Intel personnel but I'd like to know more about this because I didn't remember any MOS description saying anything about interrogating but I might've overlooked it or simply not have looked into that MOS. Thanks in advance. 😎👍

Similar Threads:

HUMINT only collects intel from human sources. Then, intel analysts analyze it, and it is disseminated to the appropriate users.

From what I've read, the CIA is the only agency legally authorized to actually interrogate terrorists (don't know about nonterrorists). When the military captures someone needing to be interrogated, they are handed over to the CIA which has specially trained people (including psychiatrists) who conduct the actual interrogations at "black sites" overseas. As far as I know, Marines do not interrogate prisoners but, I may be wrong. If we do, I don't know who is trained/authorized to do it.

A good book to read on this subject is titled "Enhanced Interrogation: Inside the minds and motives of the Islamic Terrorists trying to destroy America" by James E. Mitchell, PhD available from amazon.com.

I assumed interrogation was included in collecting data from human sources. Is that wrong or what?

PMOS 5821, Criminal Investigator CID Agent has a skill enhancement course called Advanced Interview & Interrogation/Tactical Questioning Techniques. You would not see that until you make Staff Sergeant, and no guarantee you will get the course. You could not get that MOS until you make Sergeant and you have to apply to be a CID agent; probably why you do not see any information for someone coming off the streets.

Good info. I'm aware of CID agents but did not know they're the Marines who interrogate prisoners - makes sense somebody has to do it. Do know field MP's are attached to tactical units.

To the OP. An applicant cannot be guaranteed a Primary MOS (PMOS) as stated above. Best you can do is a guaranteed 58XX program. That program includes both military police and corrections (prison guards). The PMOS you eventually end up with after bootcamp will be determined by the needs of the Marine Corps at that time (not your needs).

Just to clear up the original question. Tactical interrogation is a function of law enforcement, not intelligence. Makes sense since one of the roles of field MP's is control of POW's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Good info. I'm aware of CID agents but did not know they're the Marines who interrogate prisoners - makes sense somebody has to do it. Do know field MP's are attached to tactical units.To the OP. An applicant cannot be guaranteed a Primary MOS (PMOS) as stated above. Best you can do is a guaranteed 58XX program. That program includes both military police and corrections (prison guards). The PMOS you eventually end up with after bootcamp will be determined by the needs of the Marine Corps at that time (not your needs).Just to clear up the original question. Tactical interrogation is a function of law enforcement, not intelligence. Makes sense since one of the roles of field MP's is control of POW's.
    Ok so the only interrogators in the USMC would be CID Agents. How would someone become a CID Agent exactly?

First. Become a MP (PMOS 5811). Then, work your way up through the steps outlined in post #4 above - if you can. There is no guaranteed route (no contracts). CID agents are a small/specialized law enforcement community within the USMC. Knew of them, but never knew one personally even after 22.6 years of service. Talk to your recruiter about it and see what they say.

CID = Criminal Investigative Division/Department (same as detectives with your local police department)

Good luck.

Thread Information