When seconds count....
Create Post

When seconds count....

Attachment 31483
    A home invasion victim in Dallas, Texas, called police and waited one hour and twenty-seven minutes for officers to arrive.

The victim–referred to as “Jamie”–said he was lying in bed when he heard footsteps, and the next thing he heard was the sound of a suspect telling him not to move, as that suspect pressed the barrel of a gun against the back of Jamie’s head.

According to WFAA, 65-year-old Jamie said, “[The suspect] kept saying, ‘Where is the safe?’ and I would say, ‘I don’t have the safe’ and he would press [the gun] into my head.”

He called police when the suspect left his bedroom, and police arrived one hour and twenty-seven minutes later.

Jamie’s call is what the Dallas Police Department labels a “Priority 2” call. Such calls are currently “being answered in about 22 minutes,” but Officer Nick Novello said, “In many instances, Priority 2 calls can be held for 30 minutes or up to three or four hours.”

The response time for Jamie fell right between Dallas PD’s 22 minute norm and the four hours to which Novello alluded.

WFAA quoted identified officers who indicated “there are frequently dozens of serious calls holding with no one available to answer.”

Over 260 officers have left the Dallas PD since October 2016. They currently have approximately 3,160 officers, which is over “500 fewer…than the department had about five years ago.” Interim Dallas Police Chief David Pughes said, “I think we’re at the point now where we need to be concerned.”

Officer Novello observed, “I suspect we are going to have a very long, hot and dangerous summer for both police, firefighters — and especially for the citizens.”

Similar Threads:

Jamie was very lucky.. They could have killed him and then the police would have had a homicide to look into..

Who the hell wants to be a cop in any city today? They are underpaid, under appreciated by the community, and under supported by their local Governments (specially if it's a liberal administration). Not to mention, they walk around with a big target on their backs. They could not pay me enough to be a cop in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Who the hell wants to be a cop in any city today? They are underpaid, under appreciated by the community, and under supported by their local Governments (specially if it's a liberal administration). Not to mention, they walk around with a big target on their backs. They could not pay me enough to be a cop in todays society.

The Proud, The Few, The Constitutional Marine

Squad Leader Platinum Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I was working, we had scanners in our cars to listen to neighboring departments. My town was next door to Detroit's 9th Precinct, then and still, the busiest in the city.

During the summer especially, it was not unusual for the dispatcher to give a scout car two or three Priority One calls at the same time. Shootings, stabbings, crimes in progress, and the like. Plus, the officers weren't required to go to the calls in the order they were dispatched. They would usually start with the closest one and work from there.

I can't remember how many times we dropped down into Detroit to help a Detroit car who had called for backup and none was available. The place is still a zoo.

Dispatcher: We currently have 3 armed robberies in progress, can any car clear?

Answer: Silence.

I used to have a police scanner. I remember when there would be a call for a officer to respond to a certain area where a crime was being committed. It would take forever for someone to answer the dispatch.
    One evening the dispatch on the radio said there was a report of several young women swimming nude at a local lake. I swear, within seconds, every damn cop, deputy, state trooper, and some from near by counties, answered the call. And I'm not lying.

Billy, there are priorities you know.

Marine Family Free Member Mistybluelady's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    its not as bad up here but in the states.. wow... God bless the Cops and first responders, difficult job especially with the big target on your back....but I guess now it seems everywhere people do not respect authority or just common respect of a uniform... its sad really...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well, anymore there are only 1 or 2 of us out in the county and I get told, when you clear that we got two more calls waiting. I respond to what I can when I can. And that does not include the calls for back up by the Sheriffs or PD. And yes, my dispatcher will tell people, I will get a unit to you when I get one available. Most times we are tied up on a crash or whatever. I was going to retire next year but with baby bear coming I wont.
    And yes, I am wearing my mourning band for the police chief that was ambushed and killed in Kirkersville.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I used to have a police scanner. I remember when there would be a call for a officer to respond to a certain area where a crime was being committed. It would take forever for someone to answer the dispatch.
    One evening the dispatch on the radio said there was a report of several young women swimming nude at a local lake. I swear, within seconds, every damn cop, deputy, state trooper, and some from near by counties, answered the call. And I'm not lying.
    And yes, I would respond to that post haste lol.

BillyMONGOOSE -
    that'll teach me to say somethin'

but look @ Marine1955
    05-11-17, 07:29 PM
    Marine1955

POOR Bill has lost his signature now

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    BillyMONGOOSE -
    that'll teach me to say somethin'

but look @ Marine1955
    05-11-17, 07:29 PM
    Marine1955