Enlistment with a history of mental health issues on record?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlistment with a history of mental health issues on record?

First and foremost, to any who have served, thank you.
    You all have my utmost respect.

My question is this;

I am 18 years old and have wanted to join the military for a while now. I struggled with a few mental things in high school, and I fear that they might make me ineligible for enlistment. I'll start off with the most damning;
    I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and for a while it was something that I struggled with. Over time it has gotten incredibly less severe, and is something that I rarely have issues with. I was on medication for a while for it, but have since stopped taking it. Keep in mind also that my getting off of medication was done with my former doctor's approval. Second is that I have some form of ADHD. My ADHD has never been that much of a problem and I have never taken any medications for it. That being said, I have been diagnosed with it. Other than those, I haven't really faced any issues mentally. My recruiter told me that in order to be eligible for a waiver, I would need to wait at least two years. He also said that I could choose not to disclose my medical history to MEPS, and that that way I would definitely be able to join. I decided not to go the dishonest route, as morally I cannot go through with that. This leaves me with a dilemma. These next couple of years are an opportunity for me to prove that I am better than I was.. That I have fundamentally changed who I am. But in the end, I have to wonder whether this is all for nothing, given that I can't know for sure whether MEPS would even consider granting me a waiver. I am beyond motivated to join at least one branch of the military, and in my eyes I am fully capable of serving. While the Marine Corps is my first choice, it is not my only one. I will literally do anything I can to increase the odds of my being granted a waiver. My question for you all is whether you believe it is possible. Do I keep fighting for this, or do I move on?

Thank you all very much.

Similar Threads:

Keep fighting (but always disclose everything - or it could come back to bite you in the rear). I have seen waivers come back approved I never thought had a chance in hell. We have seen it here on this page. One just never knows till they try.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the response!
    Another quick question..
    I was reading DODI form 6130.03 and am confused about it.
    The entire form basically lists off what appears to be standards for enlistment. I can't tell whether this is used to determine whether a condition is waiverable or just initially disqualifying.
    There's something about having received outpatient treatment for more than 12 months, which I technically have. I've seen a doctor monthly about my things for a while now. Not sure if this means that I won't ever be eligible for a waiver or not.
    Argh! I dislike all this medical stuff.

Technical question. Doubt anybody here can answer it for you (there are no recruiters here).

Based on the below information from AR 40-501, Standards of Medical Fitness, dated 22 December 2016, paragraphs 2-2e and 2-27k, I don't see you getting in the Army, so I doubt you would get in the Marine Corps. As Tennesse Top says, you will never know if you don't try.

2-2 e. Medical conditions. The disqualifying medical conditions are listed in paragraphs 2–3 through 2–32, below. (The ICD codes are listed in parentheses following each standard in chap 2.) Unless otherwise stipulated, the conditions listed in paragraphs 2–3 through 2–32, below, are those that would be disqualifying by virtue of current diagnosis, or for which the candidate has a verified past medical history.

2-27 k. Current or history of anxiety disorders (anxiety (300.01) or panic (300.2)), agoraphobia (300.21), social phobia (300.23), simple phobias (300.29), obsessive-compulsive (300.3), other acute reactions to stress (308), and posttraumatic stress disorder (309.81) do not meet the standard.

Credits
    Savings
    I know it is disqualifying. Whether it is waivable or not is where I am in the dark.

You must be off the medication for 2 years before MEPS will see you.

Thread Information