Question about Security Clearance
Create Post

Question about Security Clearance

Hi I am a poolee and wanted to ask some questions about security clearance (as it says in the title). A little background about me, I am 19 and shipping to bootcamp soon on an infantry contract. I have aspirations about going to sniper school. Even though I know it is a long shot, I scored a 126 on my GT line score and a 95 overall on my asvab and currently meet the physical requirements. I had two questions:
    1. If by the chance I qualified to go to sniper school, would I need to pass security clearance for that?
    2. I used Marijuana twice during high school before entering the DEP and I have disclosed that to my recruiter. Will that cause me not to pass security clearance?

Similar Threads:

All these questions will be answer bu your Drill Instructor at the end of your graduation from Boot Camp. You'll have time there to ask and after you go to ITB .
    Finish Boot Camp first of all...

I don't think a limited past history of marijuana use is enough to DQ you from a security clearance, but your recruiter would be better able to answer that.

Mike

DI's don't answer questions. You need to discuss these questions with your recruiter.
    There are no recruiters here.

Good luck.

in any case, security clearance is only activated on a "need to know" basis these days.. not a great deal of "need to know" for a basic infantryman yet....

All hands must have at least a final secret clearance today.

Well the Drill Instructor isnt the person to answer question such as these. If you have already put this info to your recruiter then it is locked in and wont be changed. The security clearance that you hoped for just went out the window. There is no compromise and there are many just like you that can serve but without a security clearance. I hope this helps

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes you can obtain a security clearance if you have smoked weed a couple times in your life. So long as it was something like 'oh a few years ago I was around it and tried it a couple times', and not 'well my license was suspended because I got in an accident after smoking weed but I only smoked it two times!!' Yeah I doubt most DI's have a whole lot of insight into the clearance process.

Anyway the federal government is filled with employees and contractors with top secret clearances and DUI's and all sorts of things.

I'm pretty sure snipers are only required to obtain a Secret clearance. As long as you haven't shown a history of repeating an offense, have bad financial habits, or questionable foreign contacts on your SF86 you shouldn't have a poblem.

It's a really easy clearance to get.

Thread Information