What do i do!?!?!?!? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nothing says that you can't Join the Marine Corps first and after 4 or 8 years you can reenlist in the Arme to give your other dream a try, at least then you won't have to go through their basic, if you try it the other way around, you will have to go through marine Corps Boot Camp.. that's just the way it is.
    good luck to you

Yes, I have decided to stick to my heart and join the Corps. If I am super motivated when I get done with my first enlistment, I may try to get a prior-service 18x contract in the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    Nothing says that you can't Join the Marine Corps first and after 4 or 8 years you can reenlist in the Arme to give your other dream a try, at least then you won't have to go through their basic, if you try it the other way around, you will have to go through marine Corps Boot Camp.. that's just the way it is.
    good luck to you
    That is what I have decided to do. Also, if I went Army first and passed selection, and stayed in SF for a few years, There is a good chance I would be too high a rank to enlist prior-service in the USMC

Good choice. Just be advised, your recruiter may not have an infantry or Recon contract to offer you (they disappear quickly). Or, they may say they can get you an infantry contract in the reserves only.

If you want to see how selection for the Marine Raiders (special forces) works, visit their website at www.marsoc.com

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Good choice. Just be advised, your recruiter may not have an infantry or Recon contract to offer you (they disappear quickly). Or, they may say they can get you an infantry contract in the reserves only.

If you want to see how selection for the Marine Raiders (special forces) works, visit their website at www.marsoc.com

Good luck.
    I am definitely willing to wait however long it takes to get an AD infantry contract--a question on the Recon contract: If you have the UZ contract, and drop from Recon training at any point, are you sent to the fleet as an Infantry Marine, or left up to the needs of the Corps? I have looked around the web for this quite a lot, and found a lot of conflicting information, but never a definitive answer. Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you go in on a UZ contract and flunk Recon training, you become an open contract and are assigned an MOS according to the needs of the Corps.

However, if you go in as an infantryman and apply for Recon later, and flunk out, you go back to infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    If you go in on a UZ contract and flunk Recon training, you become an open contract and are assigned an MOS according to the needs of the Corps.

However, if you go in as an infantryman and apply for Recon later, and flunk out, you go back to infantry.
    Thank you---That is what I thought, but I heard from a buddy of mine who was a Recon Marine back in the day that you went to the Infantry no matter what so I just wanted to make sure.

1. When you enlist your original military service obligation is for 8 years. So you do 4 years active duty in the Marine Corps and then you are transferred
    to the USMCR for the final 4 years. You can serve the 4 years in the USMCR in IRR status; no drill, no pay. If you wanted to join the Army, then you must
    get permission from the USMCR in order to get discharged from the Reserves to join the Army. Depending on the world situation, you may or may not get released.

2. If you did active Marine Corps, and got released from the Marine Corps Reserve to join the Army, then you have to worry about what rank the Army gives you,
    how long the enlistment is for, and you are under the pressure to make a certain rank before your enlistment is up. It may or not be an issue, but something you
    must be aware of. If you are out of the active Marine Corps for 3 or more years before you join the Army, you go to basic combat training. If you did not get
    the 18X contract, you can always apply once at permanent party to go to Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course if you meet the requirements.

3. If you did the Army first, you would have the same issue about getting released from the Army Reserves in order to join the Marine Corps (see paragraph 1 above).
    The advantage would be that the Marine Corps does not hold the Army time against you until you make Sergeant. You would go to boot camp since you did not do it before.

4. These are the rules now, but could be different by the time you exit active duty from any service. Also it is dependent on your Re-enlistment Code.

5. Whatever you do, good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    this is turning into a tale of the
    " shaggy dogie "

When did Leatherneck turn into an Army forum? This thread was a useless waste of space If someone wants to join the Army; they damn sure don't belong here.

ORDO AD CHAO

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    When did Leatherneck turn into an Army forum? This thread was a useless waste of space If someone wants to join the Army; they damn sure don't belong here.
    This thread is equally as pertinent to the Marine Corps as it is to the Army. Thank you for your reply!

Not a god damn thing pertinent to the Marine Corps. You wouldn't make a pimple on a Marines Ass. You got questions about the Army; go see them. They need people like you.

ORDO AD CHAO

Many Marines that are members here or used to be have served in the Marine Corps then finished their "20" or "30" in the Army National Guard, or reenlisted to finish in the Army, so it is not unheard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer3 View Post
    Not a god damn thing pertinent to the Marine Corps. You wouldn't make a pimple on a Marines Ass. You got questions about the Army; go see them. They need people like you.
    Well I'm sorry for trying to gather as much information as possible from every perspective before making the biggest decision of my life. If you have such a problem with this thread, why don't you just ignore it and concentrate your opinions and efforts to something that might actually help other people, instead of blasting sixteen-year-old kids for trying to make an educated choice?

If you're sixteen years old; you can't join the military anyway. Pardon me; but it's a stupid thing to go on a Marine Forum to ask about being an Army green beret. In fact, not to smart. You're not too smart are you.

ORDO AD CHAO

Thread Information