What do i do!?!?!?!?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What do i do!?!?!?!?

I am in a bit of a dilemma here. It is my lifelong dream to become a member of the US Army Special Forces, because as stupid as this sounds, ever since I have been a little kid, I have wanted to be Rambo. Now, obviously this isn't the only reason I want to be a green beret. I think I have what it takes to make it and the lifestyle would suit me perfectly. The problem lies here: while this is a dream of mine that I have had for quite some time, if you asked me point blank whether I would want to be a Soldier or a Marine, in my heart, I would have to say Marine. Every time I make a pro/con list or think about my decision for a while, I want to be a Green Beret. It is just a feeling in my heart that tells me to try to become a Marine. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Credits
    Savings
    GO Army !

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you aren't 100% ready to be a Marine, Go Army. You also aren't guaranteed to become a special forces soldier as you have to pass the selection course after getting through basic training.

I've known quite a few Green Berets in my 21-years of military time and I have a great deal of respect for them as they are tough, capable, and knowledgeable soldiers. But, Rambos they are not.

Also, in the novel, First Blood, that the Rambo movies were based on, (spoiler alert), Rambo dies at the end of the book right after killing the mean old sheriff. So even Rambo isn't invincible.

Be all you can be - in the Army. Just don't be surprised when you end up being a truck driver.

Zulu 36, thank you for your timely and informative response. Like I said, the Rambo movies aren't the real reason I want to try to become a Green Beret, it was more of the initial spark that got me interested in the military at a young age. I know I am FAR from guaranteed to become a Green Beret, since as far as I know, they have some of the toughest and most arduous screening in our military. But, I do have a solid base of carrying heavy packs long distances through the mountains of Wyoming, am in pretty good shape, and have a few years till I am eligible to enlist anyway(I believe you have to be 20 to get an 18x contract), which I can use to toughen myself physically, mentally, and emotionally. Thank you again for your

Follow your desire to be a green beanie.

don't fvck up my Marine Corps! You don't have what it takes to be a Marine! You come back here, and I'll rip you a new ass.

ORDO AD CHAO

TT, thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean. To my knowledge, 18x candidates attend infantry OSUT and airborne school before SF selection. If dropped from the indoc course, selection, or the Q-course, the soldier simply continues his career as a standard infantryman. Again, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works.

^^^got the Army mixed up with the Marine Corps again. In the USMC, when you get dropped from training, you automatically are recategorized as open contract. Meaning, you are reassigned a new MOS based on the needs of the Marine Corps at that time, not the needs of the individual. Just a little incentive to try harder. That's why we have truck drivers who initially thought they could be Recon Rangers.

Oh, Okay. I see what you mean now. I just thought you were talking about the Army Special Forces.

Well if you want to be a Green Beret you should probably join the Army. If you want to be a Marine you should probably join the Marine Corps.

If you want to be Rambo, the Green Berets probably aren't for you, since that is not their mission. They go in and work with, train, and lead local forces. They are a force multiplier. Sure they are excellent fighters, but there mission isn't "being Rambo," whatever the movies might make you think.

You sound like you have a little growing up to do before you make a decision.

Mike

Okay, now I definitely regret saying I wanted to be Rambo! Just for clarification, I know that the real Green Berets are not "Rambo." I understand that the movies are just an over-dramatized representation of a veteran purely for entertainment purposes. When I really wanted to "be Rambo" I was about seven years old. I only said that because I thought it would be funny. I know what the traditional missions of the Special Forces and I have as good of an idea of what I would be getting into if I went either route as possible without actually being there. And trust me, I am actually VERY mature for my age. I mean ABSOLUTELY no disrespect with this comment or thread in general, and I am genuinely thankful for all of your responses and help.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Jack, how can we advise you what to do? You want to join the Army, but you want to become a Marine, also.

And you said if anyone asks you point blank, "which is it?" That your answer would be "Marine".

So what is preventing you from pursuing that goal and trying to join the Marine Corps?

It's not a dilemma, it's a simple choice.

Keep us updated here, please. Good luck to you whichever way you choose to go.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    Jack, how can we advise you what to do? You want to join the Army, but you want to become a Marine, also.

And you said if anyone asks you point blank, "which is it?" That your answer would be "Marine".

So what is preventing you from pursuing that goal and trying to join the Marine Corps?

It's not a dilemma, it's a simple choice.

Keep us updated here, please. Good luck to you whichever way you choose to go.
    Thank you for this. It has been the most useful light anyone has shone on the topic. I now realize that I should follow my heart and go for the USMC. I guess it was just my desire to be a part of a hyper-elite unit that was clouding my decision (as if the Marine Corps isn't elite enough, and there is still Recon if I still have that drive once I get in.) Once again, thank you to everyone who has helped me in this thread.

Well Jack, did you make a choice?

Thread Information