Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Post The likelihood of ECP

Hello everyone,

I am new here (prospective Marine).

I will be a citizen soon (Oath Ceremony) before OCS application deadline (Apr 20th for Fall 2017 according to my research).
    I have a bachelor's degree from the state university (life science).

I am working on PFT (those are much more difficult than I thought them to be) to be close to 300/300.
    I have no criminal record, never taken any kind of drugs (except for over the counter drugs like Tylenol).
    I have never smoked weed or tobaccos.
    I have never had any surgeries (never broken a bone or torn a ligament).
    I have no tattoos or piercings.

My only concern is that my GPA is really low like around 2.25ish. But SAT of math + reading is about 1400 (and my high school GPA is a lot better than my college counterpart).

I was so stupid to not think that this OCS would be competitive when I was an undergrad.

I have spoken to both OSO and the recruiter near my area.

While OSO has a positive impression of me, and keeps on encouraging to push for the best possible PFT score;
    Recruiter (Staff Sergeant) also views favorably of me and encourages me to go mustang route (enlisted to officer, ECP).

I have spoken to several of my friends who either:
    1) served in the USMC before coming to college as an enlisted
    2) accepted into USMC OCS and is an officer as of now
    3) immigrant like me, but completed US Naval Academy and is a Naval Reserve Officer
    and people serving in the other branches.

They all told me that even with my bachelor's degree, going from enlisted to officer (ECP) is extremely rare and competitive, especially for the marines.

While i'd love to start with the humble beginning and experience enlisted side as well, i'm 27 years old and I doubt if I can be commissioned without age waiver (28 according to my research but Ssgt keeps saying it's 30).

So if anyone is a mustang him/herself or knows anyone, what are the odds?

For me, my best asset is my character and maturity.
    Whether i'll be the most physically outstanding guy is questionable (because other highly motivated and dedicated people would be there as well).

If I were rejected to challenge for OCS, could I still apply for boot camp?

Any other tips and advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Josh

Similar Threads:

ECP is rare, but it's doable. I think there is no harm in giving it your all and trying for OCS, and if you still want to be a Marine and aren't accepted, going the enlisted route.

Your recruiter and OSO will do what they can to get into the USMC, but don't be surprised that the enlisted recruiter is recommending you enlist... he doesn't work for you and you enlisting works out for him. I'd work diligently to get the best PFT score you can, make sure your resume is as strong as possible, and follow the advice of your OSO.

ECP does exist, and it appears at least this year the age is waiverable to 35. That is to say, if you can't get into OCS off the street this is certainly something that you may have the opportunity to do if you bust your ass as an enlisted man. It is very competitive from all I have heard though. ECP may be easier if you have already gone to college, though.
    http://www.marines.mil/News/Messages...ection-boards/

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Hello sir!
    Thank you very much for your reply.

I have looked up internet and vast majority say that the recruiters try to recruit people (also states that they will inevitably lie).
    My recruiter is chill (the other person I haven't really talked to) and invited me to train/PT/run with the other potential recruits.

For the enlisted, other than PFT and moral evaluation (character), what other factors would increase the likelihood of being accepted for ECP?

And that is the exact website I looked up. April 22nd would be the deadline.

Respectfully,
    Josh

Have to be at least a Lance Corporal to apply to the ECP program. Not something you can do right away.

Also, I have to imagine you'll be looked at more favorably for it after a couple years of service. It looks like if you do enlist, there is not much danger in aging out of the ECP option since they allow waivers that reach all the way up to 35, though nothing is a given.

My advice to you is still try to get before a board for OCS prior to making the decision to enlist. If it doesn't happen and you think the ECP route is worth a shot, then start the enlistment process from there.

Recruiters recruit people, no doubt about it. Most are for the most part honest, especially now when they aren't hurting for people like they were 10 years ago, though they paint a rosier picture of the Marine Corps than may be fair. If you told everyone coming in that they would have little to no control over there own life, would spend a lot of time doing janitorial work, and would deal with a bunch of needless BS, they would have a harder time putting people in the USMC. Even the fun stuff can suck. That said, nothing replaces it at the end of the day.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Have to be at least a Lance Corporal to apply to the ECP program. Not something you can do right away.
    Yessir!

Pardon me for not being as detailed.
    When I talked to the Army recruiter, he said that i'd start out as E-5 (Sergeant) and can apply for officer program after about a year.

Marine Corps recruiter, on the other hand, said that i'd start out as E-2 (Private) and can apply for officer program after about a year.

I, however, am doubtful because all the research I did stated at least 3 to 4 years of serving as enlisted.

Also, would you please advise me on how to make myself more competitive if I were to select ECP route?
    As stated in my original question, my best asset is my character and maturity.
    Being physically fit (more than my competitors) isn't guaranteed because more than likely there will be motivated and dedicated people who are former athletes.

Thank you for your reply!

Respectfully,
    Josh

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    Also, I have to imagine you'll be looked at more favorably for it after a couple years of service. It looks like if you do enlist, there is not much danger in aging out of the ECP option since they allow waivers that reach all the way up to 35, though nothing is a given.

My advice to you is still try to get before a board for OCS prior to making the decision to enlist. If it doesn't happen and you think the ECP route is worth a shot, then start the enlistment process from there.

Recruiters recruit people, no doubt about it. Most are for the most part honest, especially now when they aren't hurting for people like they were 10 years ago, though they paint a rosier picture of the Marine Corps than may be fair. If you told everyone coming in that they would have little to no control over there own life, would spend a lot of time doing janitorial work, and would deal with a bunch of needless BS, they would have a harder time putting people in the USMC. Even the fun stuff can suck. That said, nothing replaces it at the end of the day.

Mike

Sir,
    thank you very much for your reply again.

Your first paragraph is true to the point.
    My concern is low GPA (cannot change) and age-limit (also cannot defy time).
    From my research, the general consensus is that age-waiver is difficult to come by but not entirely impossible.

I have talked to my OSO (only had phone calls because I will be the citizen soon), he said that based on our interactions, he views favorably towards me and that he'd like me to try but will not stop me from choosing what I like (OCS or ECP).

Thus, what I fear is that after 3 to 4 years of serving as enlisted, I won't be chosen for ECP (or OCS).

I'd firmly like to state that perhaps just as every Marine, i'd like to be a Marine and nothing else. All the respect to the airman, soldier, sailor, but the ones i've listed aren't for me.

Respectfully,
    Josh

No doubt Army will have more to give, and will be more flexible than the USMC. It is a less competitive branch of service by virtue of need, with greater numbers in the ranks to fill. Don't get me wrong, the US Army is excellent, I myself am in the process of trying to go back into the service by way of the US Army, but it's going to be easier to get into as enlisted or an officer, and give you more incentives, than the USMC.

I think you should go and meet with an OSO and explain your situation in person to them. They can get you started down the path of applying to become an officer, and if after a little while it looks like it's not going to work out, they'll tell you as much. It doesn't hurt to get info from an enlisted recruiter, but I wouldn't spend too much time with them unless OCS doesn't look like it's going to work out. Focus your energy on OCS. As far as making yourself competitive, at this point physical conditioning, as well as finishing college strong are your best bets.

If you go the ECP route, making yourself competitive there will be standing out as an exemplary Marine. This means volunteering for everything, putting in extra time, etc. This can get discouraging quickly. Make yourself stand out among your peers. While you may technically be able to apply after a year, I think you should expect that even if you are able to do that, if you are deployed or deploying it may not physically be possible, it may take you a bit longer until you have a serious chance of getting accepted.

I don't think ECP is a guarantee. You also may find that after 3-4 years, you are done with the USMC. I'll reiterate, try your hardest to get into OCS, but given your age if it doesn't look like it's happening, go the enlisted route and try for ECP, or consider another branch of service.

Do you have your heart set on a certain job? The one benefit of being enlisted is you can pick your job field.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    No doubt Army will have more to give, and will be more flexible than the USMC. It is a less competitive branch of service by virtue of need, with greater numbers in the ranks to fill. Don't get me wrong, the US Army is excellent, I myself am in the process of trying to go back into the service by way of the US Army, but it's going to be easier to get into as enlisted or an officer, and give you more incentives, than the USMC.

I think you should go and meet with an OSO and explain your situation in person to them. They can get you started down the path of applying to become an officer, and if after a little while it looks like it's not going to work out, they'll tell you as much. It doesn't hurt to get info from an enlisted recruiter, but I wouldn't spend too much time with them unless OCS doesn't look like it's going to work out. Focus your energy on OCS. As far as making yourself competitive, at this point physical conditioning, as well as finishing college strong are your best bets.

If you go the ECP route, making yourself competitive there will be standing out as an exemplary Marine. This means volunteering for everything, putting in extra time, etc. This can get discouraging quickly. Make yourself stand out among your peers. While you may technically be able to apply after a year, I think you should expect that even if you are able to do that, if you are deployed or deploying it may not physically be possible, it may take you a bit longer until you have a serious chance of getting accepted.

I don't think ECP is a guarantee. You also may find that after 3-4 years, you are done with the USMC. I'll reiterate, try your hardest to get into OCS, but given your age if it doesn't look like it's happening, go the enlisted route and try for ECP, or consider another branch of service.

Do you have your heart set on a certain job? The one benefit of being enlisted is you can pick your job field.

Mike
    Sir,

I appreciate you tremendously as all of your replies helped.

Best of wishes for your future military endeavor sir!
    Since you served as a Marine, you and I both know that you'll always be a Marine.

Yes sir! I even asked if it would be best for us (me and OSO) to meet up and discuss further things but he said that he wanted me to fill out the rough application first (send in pdf files over the emails) plus 100 word statement on why I want to be a Marine officer.

So volunteering and spending extra time (not completing later) and putting extra effort is what you mean.
    I got it! I sorta see the picture.
    Of course good moral character (not being stupid or drinking or being late) counts as well.
    Most of all, I don't imagine myself going around in that Marine emblem bashing other branches of armed forces or try to "get into someone's panty".

If I were deployed, I should honor my deployment and not seek out ECP. I do understand.

And I will try my best to keep in touch with my OSO and get 300 PFT.

By the last paragraph do you mean that OCS candidates don't have much input in what MOS we choose?
    Maybe i'm mistaken to think that we pick about 5 desired MOS and with luck, i'll be assigned a certain MOS?

Hopefully I do not offend anyone but I am not thinking about any infantry MOS. Some Marines try hard to get into Infantry Officer Course. I would like ground MOS. Though I have to read much in detail to further narrow down my choices.

Respectfully,
    Josh

I mean for OCS you can select Ground, Air, or Legal (if qualified). From there you are right that you get a wish list, and merit and luck will factor in to whatever you ultimately get assigned as an MOS. On the enlisted side, you can choose pretty narrowly what field you want to be in. IE Infantry, Combat Support (arty, tanks, tracks, LAAD), Communications, logistics, etc.

Being a Marine is a great honor, but I think you will find serving this country, even with all the BS you will encounter, is also a very satisfying thing to do, whether it is for a few years or a lifetime. I would never have seen myself joining the Army 10 years ago, now I'm more than happy to if I can make it work out the way I want to.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhhh View Post

Yessir!

Marine Corps recruiter,
    said that i'd start out as E-2 (Private) *

and can apply for officer program after about a year.

As stated in my original question,
    my best asset is my character and maturity.

Thank you for your reply!

Respectfully,
    Josh
    Josh ,
    please be advised
    ( 3 small items )

#1 US ( M )arine is always Capitolized ,
    even when it is Marine as a title.

#2 E-1 is a private
    #3 E-2 is a Private First Class

learn your ranks,
    learn your paygrades
    please
    and good luck

Credits
    Savings
    I mean for OCS you can select Ground, Air, or Legal (if qualified). From there you are right that you get a wish list, and merit and luck will factor in to whatever you ultimately get assigned as an MOS. On the enlisted side, you can choose pretty narrowly what field you want to be in. IE Infantry, Combat Support (arty, tanks, tracks, LAAD), Communications, logistics, etc.

Being a Marine is a great honor, but I think you will find serving this country, even with all the BS you will encounter, is also a very satisfying thing to do, whether it is for a few years or a lifetime. I would never have seen myself joining the Army 10 years ago, now I'm more than happy to if I can make it work out the way I want to.

Mike
    It's funny that you mentioned BS (i'll phrase this as nonsense).
    I have spoken to my friend who went to US Naval Academy right after high school.
    He served in the US Navy and is now a reserve officer.

He ranted about how in the military women have less standard and get more benefits.
    He kept on about how it is a "nonsense" for men and women to be in the same unit (did I explain this correctly?).
    He even mentioned the recent leak of nude pictures of female Marines.

For me, I won't be in secluded area with another male or female Marine and basically shut down any possible sexual encounter.
    I'm determined to follow orders and serve honorably.

Thank you,
    Josh

Not quite what I was referring to, but despite a lack of professionalism some places in the military, it is not the norm and should not be tolerated as such.

Mike

All I can tell you is I was a Marine for 22.6 years. During that career, I knew one Sgt who was accepted to the MECEP program and eventually became a Limited Duty Officer (major). Never saw anybody I knew get accepted to the ECP program. A few of my friends got accepted to the Warrant Officer program and eventually became Chief Warrant Officers (not commissioned officers). Based on that experience, my opinion is, MECEP and ECP are nothing anybody can expect or plan on doing. Last year, 19 Marines were accepted for MECEP (don't know how many applied). This year, I know one Marine who has been accepted. He is a Gunnery Sergeant (E7) with 12 years of service and former Senior Drill Instructor at Parris Island. He will be attending Officer Candidate School later this fall (where he could be an instructor). That will give you some kind of idea of who you would be competing against (as far as your question on how to make yourself more competitive).

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Josh ,
    please be advised
    ( 3 small items )

#1 US ( M )arine is always Capitolized ,
    even when it is Marine as a title.

#2 E-1 is a private
    #3 E-2 is a Private First Class

learn your ranks,
    learn your paygrades
    please
    and good luck
    Yeah I realized that right after I replied and couldn’t edit after certain time has passed.
    I’ll be more careful next time.

-Josh

Thread Information