.45 Pistol--Qualification.
Create Post
    Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

.45 Pistol--Qualification.

On a Facebook group for our specific unit 1964 to 1968, we're getting into a discussion of why some in our unit were required to qualify with the .45 while others were not.

Not in boot camp but in our specific unit in the mid-1960s.

Certainly when I went thru boot camp it was not required, just familiarization with the .45 and qualification with the M-14 rifle.

We were in a cryptology battalion called Marine Support Battalion, now it's called Marine Crypologic Support Battalion. I'm just being told that some of us were required to qualify with the pistol, just at that base, not in boot camp, while others were not. We all had the same duties.

Does anyone know if pistol qualification was REQUIRED except in certain kinds of units? Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Could it simply be that the CO wanted some to qualify with the pistol and that there was no Marine Corps rule or reg, just the COs desires?? That seems possible.

Sometimes it's tied to billet (like Platoon Commander, Platoon Sergeant, Platoon Guide, etc). You say everyone had the same duties but there had to be different billets in your battalion. If the pistol is your T/O weapon, you must qualify with it.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, Top. I know that certain MOSs require qualification with the pistol. In our particular company within the MarSptBn, I was a 2571. Some 2571s had to qualify with the pistol and some did not. This is why I couldn't figure it out, why some and not others. Nowadays the former MOS 2571 is 2621, Morse Code Intercept Operator.

I started thinking that perhaps the Commandant said to some units, get some Marines qualified with the pistol, not all but at least some. Just as a directive issued for the purpose of enhancing proficiency with the pistol, independent of any Marine Corps orders or regs. Otherwise all the 2571s would have had to qualify with the pistol. But I still don't know the answer to the question, why some were told to qualify and not others.

I was in 61 to 66 and seem to remember when I was corporal of the guard I carried the 45 and I was with the 11th Marines at the time and worked in Hqs Battalion as a clerk at the time but was required to do guard duty also.

Been too many years to remember but would assume if required to carry would have to qualify, I do remember being on a range with it so still assuming it was to qualify.

I obviously I wouldn't know about .45 qual having serving much later but I know after lat moving from infantry to armorer I had to pistol qual and ended up qualing more times with the pistol than the rifle because billet requirements trump annual requal requirements or so I was told.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you to all.

Thread Information