Current Standing on BAH (for Dependents) During Boot Camp
Create Post

Question Current Standing on BAH (for Dependents) During Boot Camp

Hello all,

My husband is currently in the enlistment process for joining the Marines. I read elsewhere that while he is at boot camp, we should be covered by BAH. However, I have not seen anything recent (the one I found was from four years ago), and his recruiter is stating that we have to provide for ourselves (my son and I) without my husband. He stated that my husband would not need housing since he would be at boot camp, and that we would not receive BAH.

Is there any update on the DoD Financial Management Regulation Volume 7A, Chapter 25? I cannot find any information other than the aforementioned posts, and information provided by respondents to the post (including the information about the DoD Chapter that states BAH is available for family even during basic/boot camp). Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Do they still have a Disbursing MOS???

I read on the www.bootcamp4me.com site (BAH) the recruit's dependents do rate it while in bootcamp based on your current zip code. Doesn't help you if the recruiter is not helpful. Only advice I can give is to talk to the recruiter's boss (understanding, the recruiter won't appreciate going over his head or not taking his word for it) - think very hard before taking that step as you may regret it.

good luck on him being able to send anything to you. I was married they wouldnt let me go to the bank, another one of my buddies there the same thing he had to beg and plead they let him go but it wasnt like an every day occurrence.

His recruiter should of had Him start an Allotment, or don't they have those anymore ?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Do they still have a Disbursing MOS???
    I do not know. The only three people we met was the first recruiter he spoke to (moved after blowing smoke instead of getting the process going), his new recruiter (that states he apparently never dealt with recruiting an individual with dependents), and his recruiter's boss (who really just does not like me).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I read on the www.bootcamp4me.com site (BAH) the recruit's dependents do rate it while in bootcamp based on your current zip code. Doesn't help you if the recruiter is not helpful. Only advice I can give is to talk to the recruiter's boss (understanding, the recruiter won't appreciate going over his head or not taking his word for it) - think very hard before taking that step as you may regret it.
    As I mentioned above, the recruiter's boss seemed like he didn't like me at all. They seems to only want my husband to talk, even though this process does include both of us. Both of us have questions. His boss only got involved because he apparently never did a dependency waiver before.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    good luck on him being able to send anything to you. I was married they wouldnt let me go to the bank, another one of my buddies there the same thing he had to beg and plead they let him go but it wasnt like an every day occurrence.
    The recruiter's boss stated for us to get a power of attorney through the bank or credit union before my husband is shipped out to boot camp. He said that would prevent me from having any problems with getting money from the account while my husband was unable to send the money himself.

Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    His recruiter should of had Him start an Allotment, or don't they have those anymore ?
    Which part of the paperwork would that be in? None of the items we filled out even mentioned an allotment or anything. He asked for my husband's W-2, but I was busy with taking care of our son while my husband talked to him about finances. What would it look like?

***Thank you all for your responses, so far they are really helpful ***

BAH information is in the Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) dated October 2014, Chapter 10, paragraph 10102.

Quote Originally Posted by TolzerVman View Post
    BAH information is in the Joint Travel Regulation (JTR) dated October 2014, Chapter 10, paragraph 10102.
    Thank you very much. I found the paragraph to which you are referring to. It did not really state anything about receiving it while in recruit training (boot camp), but every bit of information I come across states that if the service member is receiving basic pay, then they are eligible for allowances for dependents if they have dependents. I really appreciate all of the help I have received so far. This information is greatly useful.

PM sent to You.

Welcome to the Marine Corps family (if your husband earns the title - not all recruits do). This is just your first taste of dealing with the red tape - there will be much more where that came from and it never stops. Sometimes, you're better off just talking to a wall. Good luck.

If he makes it then just listen to everybody else whos in the same situation. If there are any doubts about being in deep sht then your wrong. There is no such thing as an EMO. Just Pride & extreme athletic ability w/the desire to getter done. DONE.]

Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    PM sent to You.
    I got the PM. Thanks

I know that the path to becoming a Marine is probably the most difficult challenge one can take. He is stubborn to get any task he is given done, so I am confident that he will not fail. I support him all the way with no doubt in my mind about him making it through successfully. We will definitely be asking others in the same situation. Thanks for everyone's inputs and information. I sure appreciate the responses, and I am sure know my husband does too It is a big process that neither of us have ever gone through before, so if something seems wrong, yes we will ask someone else. Not out of disrespect towards the recruiter, but as a means to receive the right information to not only help us, but the recruiter so that he can help other poolees and recruits with the right information. Thanks!

Thread Information