Looking For Help
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking For Help

My Father passed away in 2014, he was/is a Marine. He served from 2/19/1960 - 2/18/1966 (according to his DD214).

He never spoke much about his service which I thought was sad. I am proud of him for this and proud to call him my Father. I recently received his separation transcript from the Archives Center. There is quite a bit of information that I can not translate, mostly acronyms. I am hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction

For example his listed Specialty number and Title: 3211 - Rec&Sal Man

Then there is a bos that lists a "Related Civilian Occupation and D.O.T. Number": 7-83.991-Reclamation Man (air trans)

Thank you

Hi there. The Vietnam era MOS list shows 3211 as fabric repairman, which probably aligns pretty well with reclamation and salvage. What did your father do for a living after the Corps?

Thank You. He spent a couple years as an officer with our local Police Department until he found a position at the local steel mill. As I am sure you know law enforcement in the mid 60's wasn't the job it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha1097 View Post
    Thank You. He spent a couple years as an officer with our local Police Department until he found a position at the local steel mill. As I am sure you know law enforcement in the mid 60's wasn't the job it is now.
    What does your statement mean?

Pay rate and benefits. the rate of pay and benefit package for a Police Officer in the late 60's vs. the benefit package and pay rate for a Union Steelworker made his decision easy. A Police Officer salary and benefits now vs that of a steel worker, I believe he would have stayed on the police force.

I started out as a cop in 1970 making $540 a month. You're right, hard to live on that but we received many freebees.

This is my first time on this site and I don't know f this will add to an existing post but, the only reason I signed up was to ask a specific question. My fiance just joined the marines (currently at basic) Anyways question is before he left he told me "they" changed his job to Tank operator....Now that being said I would like to ask for the sake of my sanity what's the survival rate for that? Also i know it means he'll see the fight so would he be considered infantry? Please help me out & please no jody jokes, rude pick ups or false hopes. Thank you so much for y'alls expediency on the matter. -future Mrs.Evers❤

I wouldn't worry very much, today's tank crews have an extremely high survival rate. I was infantry and I'm still here, relax.

My whole 20 years in the Corps I held a Supply MOS, but I only worked in the Supply field for around 3 years out of my 20 years. I also worked in Division Ordnance, I & I Duty, 1st Tank Bn, Air Wing, and Drill Instructor. Needs of the Corps.

Tankers are POG's (persons other than grunts) and are definitely NOT infantry.

During the invasion of Iraq in 2003 I worked alongside 1st tanks fairly frequently and those guys really brought the pain on the battlefield. There's an indescribable, awe inspiring feeling when those bad boys push forward and open up with their main guns. It quite literally takes your breath away.

The Marine Corps is NOT in any way a safe place. Marines of all MOS's get hurt or killed in training fairly frequently. It's part of the job. That said, when he's actually inside his track, your fiance' is going to be one of the most well protected Marines around him.

I was only around the tanks a couple of times. They always sent us in first to protect the tanks.

Thank you all so much I really appreciate the reassurance you've all given me. Also thank you all for your service Love y'all. God bless and stay safe. -future Mrs.Evers❤

Good luck to you both Honey, now get some sleep.

I never saw a whole lot of tanks in the bush. If we needed support it was artillery or air. But would have welcomed tank support.

Thread Information