Females can't join the reserves in Texas?
Create Post

Females can't join the reserves in Texas?

Hi all,

I just turned 18, I'm graduating high school in May and I really want to be a Marine officer more than anything else, I know my life will feel empty unless I'm pushing myself to my limits every day and leading the Marines that keep our country safe

I really wanted a taste of the enlisted side though, so I can be a better officer, also at boot camp when they give you the eagle globe and anchor, I've never gotten anything like that before. So I wanted to join the reserves so I can go to bootcamp, go to drill and yearly trainings, and still go to school part time.

The only problem is when I talked to a recruiter, he told me females can't join the reserves in Texas because combat roles for females haven't been opened in the reserves yet and there aren't any non-combat USMCR in my area (south Texas) and I'm going to school in central Texas

I just feel behind because I didn't get the NROTC scholarship or into the Naval Academy (that was a reach anyways), luckily I have some other scholarships so that I can pay for school. I've always wanted to go to enlist because I thought I couldn't pay for school but I still wanted to be a Marine, however now that I can pay for school with some scholarship money (NOT the ROTC scholarship though) I know I can be an officer

I'd start school in December or next August if it meant I could go to bootcamp and be in the reserves

TL;DR I want to be in the USMCR and go to school pursuing a commission, but recruiter told me it's not possible because non-combat roles haven't been opened for females in the reserves and there are no non-combat in my area, (or in all of Texas), is this true? Any advice?

Please help... I don't mind driving far to go to drill or balancing reserves + school, but my recruiter made it sound like I just flat out couldn't join the reserves

-MC

Similar Threads:

I would suggest that you go to school, first and concentrate on that, keep your grades high and then talk to a recruiter about OCS, if your grades are good and your good in your PFT times you should not have a problem.

Find a different recruiter as this guy doesn't seem like he's willing to work with you. Or, try being more direct with him that you want to do this, and want his help finding a way. There are plenty of good schools in Texas, have you applied around the state, closer to units he said would be able to take women? or are you planning on applying around the state?

Also, I'd think twice about having a 4-6 hour commute for drill. I know guys who've done it, but it's a pain in the ass. Granted, if that were the only way when I was your age, I would have done it.

Question, why are you thinking about going to school part time? The reserves won't effect you going to school full time. Do you have a plan to pay for school? The GI bill isn't great for reservists until/unless you deploy. Also, remember that academics matter when it comes to applying to OCS.

You could also do a year of school, and then wait until some local units open up MOS's to women, and go from there. Nothing stopping you from taking some time off to do boot/MOS school. Something to think about on that front though: Women seem to get hurt in infantry training at a much higher rate than men. I'm not saying you can't do it, but if you aren't already an athlete, and your goal is to go back in as an officer, you should do what you can to avoid getting hurt early on. If you do opt to go this route, find a good strength coach and get yourself into adequate physical condition for hiking with heavy loads, utilizing upper body strength, etc. I believe one of the reasons women are getting hurt doing this stuff is due to biological differences, they require more preparation. Boot Camp, let alone recruiters, aren't providing the proper training.

Mike

Thank you to both of you, going to school is my #1 priority, I didn't really mean "going to school part time", I really meant juggling school + nrotc + reserves, except it looks like I really can't join the reserves, at least not now. I do have a partial scholarship to a great school that I'm excited to go to, I'm hoping if I work my tail end off I can pick up a side load scholarship. If that doesn't work out I know there are other options for me as far as commissioning

Thread Information