What Are My Chances of Getting Infantry.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What Are My Chances of Getting Infantry.

I am currently a Poolee at RSS Wichita South. I went to MEPs and swore in a week ago from today. I signed my contract, but the guy who set it up said that I will pick my field with my recruiter at a later date. I still have yet to talk with my recruiter about this, but I have a long time before I ship out (Slated to ship September 11th). I was under the impression that you could choose any field you desired, but not the MOS. Yet I was reading the forums and found that some were struggling to get their desired field. What is the likelihood of me getting Infantry? I joined the Marine Corps for Infantry, and will take nothing less. Will I just be stuck in the DEP longer and have my ship date pushed back if none are available at the time of my current ship date? There very well could be some openings when I talk with my recruiter and I'm just over reacting, but was wondering if anyone could answer my questions. Thank you in advance, and I apologize if I broke any forum rules.

Similar Threads:

Infantry

Before I attempt to answer your question, please answer my question(s):

* Why do you want to become infantry?

* What do you think you will gain by joining infantry?

* What are your plans after your tour in the USMC?

I myself was a FRO (Field Radio Operator) that was embedded with the infantry. Some of the skills I learned could be applied outside of the Marines with communication systems, but you're going to be hard pressed finding a job outside of the Marines that consists of neutralizing threats. If I could do it over again, I probably would have went security forces or MWD (Military Working Dog) Handler.

New jobs open up October 1st usually, so worst case you may need to push your ship date back a few weeks if there are no infantry contracts. Make sure your recruiter understands this is your plan.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfulsecurity View Post
    Before I attempt to answer your question, please answer my question(s):

* Why do you want to become infantry?

* What do you think you will gain by joining infantry?

* What are your plans after your tour in the USMC?

I myself was a FRO (Field Radio Operator) that was embedded with the infantry. Some of the skills I learned could be applied outside of the Marines with communication systems, but you're going to be hard pressed finding a job outside of the Marines that consists of neutralizing threats. If I could do it over again, I probably would have went security forces or MWD (Military Working Dog) Handler.
    Security Forces is infantry. Maybe that's what the OP wants to do too.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry for super late response.

I swore into the USMC to serve my country that I love. I see the pussification (apologize if this language is inappropriate) of America and it is happening at an alarming rate. I see tensions rising with foreign countries. I want to do my part in helping to reshape and protect America, in any means necessary. So I knew I would join, and then I decided if I'm gonna be a bear why not a grizzly bear, and that's how I decided USMC (other things helped mold this choice as well, but this was one of the big ones). The free tuition, and other benefits are just bonuses that by themselves wouldn't have gotten me to join, but are awesome.

I decided to go infantry because I want to fight. As dumb or rambo-esque as that may sound, I want to serve my country and protect my family from the bad people in the world. I have no disrespect to any other military job, I've just weighed my options and think Infantry would be the best fit for me and whatI want out of my military career.

I'm not sure how long I'll be in, but can anybody truly know until they are in? After I get out I hope to go to college as thats something I want to pursue, but have not desire to do so at this time.

Thank you for any previous and future responses and taking your time to read my post.

This will be a controversial (and maybe political) statement. Personally, I see a pussification of our military (including the USMC) at an alarming rate - not just America. This is a result of the mandated liberal progressive social experiments rammed down our military's throats i.e., open gays, open transgenders, women in direct combat roles, etc. If these programs are so great, why aren't our adversaries adopting them.

As the investigations into alleged hazing by DI's at Parris Island, as well as courts martials by those found guilty wind down, changes will be instituted at the two recruit depots. Congress is watching intently. You can bet, training will not be made more stringent. If anything, DI's jobs will just become a lot harder (hard to do your job constantly looking over your shoulder). The open transgenders start standing in the yellow footprints this July and that opens up a whole new can of worms for the DI's. By the time you report to bootcamp, things should be really interesting.

I have no problems serving alongside any Marine that can do the job, gay or female (assuming the standards are NOT lowered). I have an issue with the transgender thing, but as far as gays I don't see how that has any bearing on ones ability to function in combat whatsoever. DADT was disgusting... so you can serve if you are a gay, but if your private life becomes apparent good Marines can get kicked out? That's terrible for morale and its also morally objectionable in my opinion.

I will agree on the trans front. If someone wants to cross dress in accordance with the uniform regs on their off time I have no issue with it... but we don't let asthmatics, diabetics, people on anti-depressants, etc in... why the hell would we let someone dependent on hormones in? It's not logically consistent. I'll concede they were probably born feeling that way... well too bad. Plenty of people are born with various physical and psychological issues that disqualify them from service. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Mike

I'll defer to Mad Dog's attitude. As long as they are lethal on the battlefield, they'll have nothing to fear from him. If they cannot be lethal, he has no use for them. Common sense approach for a Secretary of Defense. The liberal progressive's approach is purely equal opportunity and anti discrimination combined with social experimentation since some of this has never been down before. Lethality on the battlefield does not even enter into their equation - and may explain why our adversaries don't do it (or possibly, they may just be smarter than us).

You can gain a lot from being a grunt(Infantry) , and i am speaking from personal experience.

The Grunt Corps, referred to by Infantry Marines mainly, is a very different experience.

Marine Corps Infantry is evolving with technological advances, computerized operations of drones, cross training Grunts with another MOS to implement a more efficient fighting force.

The list can go on and on, seriously, but if you truly desire to serve in the Marine Corps Infantry, you have to be willing to embrace the elements of the infamous "suck". The suck can be anything from patrolling through the jungles of the Philippines in mid rain season with guys catching malaria like it's cool, combat deployment in Afghanistan or where ever else and "getting some", or doing a Chinese field day in the barracks under a ****ty self centered egoistic Corporal of Marines, or better yet the senior Lcpl who has you armed with your own Colgate 360 deep clean toothbrush, scrub the inside of his toilet (than yours) while he watches you on a beach chair pounding the cheapest lite beer from the PX.

Like i said, there's a reason it's called the Grunt Corps, literally, and in the end of your commitment you can gain real life implemented skills other than being a highly qualified in the janitorial service.

Thread Information