Which MOS has the most freedom in the field
Create Post

Which MOS has the most freedom in the field

Which MOS has the most freedom in the field? I heard that either Recon or Scout sniper's are able to operate with the most freedom in the field. i.e taking out an enemy target of significant importance all though it is not the main objective. Anything of that sort.

Similar Threads:

Smaller specialized units will always have "the most freedom." Ultimately they still are a cog in the machine and must follow orders, but the nature of the jobs of STA, Recon, Raiders, etc is that they are a small cohesive team that can operate pretty autonomously within a given mission.

IF and only IF the commands they are attached to utilize those assets correctly. Never forget that all the cool guy jobs are still just there to support the infantry. As for "freedom" (autonomy), look into intel guys and what comprises a human exploitation or HET team. Those guys operated pretty much on their own programs, bouncing unit to unit and hooking up with whatever patrols were going out where they needed to go to gather Intel. Seemed like a pretty sweet gig to me, but I don't know what's required to get it. I know a bunch of them were SNCO's and Officers, but none of them wore rank or went by anything other than first names.

The HET guys did have it pretty good. Although even though they individually jumped around a lot, the HET guys attached to us as a regular infantry unit were still only as free as we were when outside the wire.

Mike

I spent a couple of years in STA platoon and it was the best job I ever had. We were all NCOs, corporals and above, and we didn't have any of the usual BS that you get back in the line companies. Our platoon commander was a Captain, he was also the Battalion S2 officer and we had a platoon sergeant. But they really just assigned missions and left us alone to get it done. Best job in the Marine Corps.

The main thing to remember is that EVERYONE answers to someone. You will experience BS at any unit you go to. Freedom in the field doesn't mean you can just go rogue and do whatever you want. You will have to answer for your actions regardless.
    But to give you my opinion on your question I would rank them as such.....EOD,SS,BN. RECON, FORCE CO, MARSOC.

Thread Information