OCS Candidate seeking very important advice regarding contract situation!!!!(LONG)
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OCS Candidate seeking very important advice regarding contract situation!!!!(LONG)

Hello all

First off I want to thank every single one of you for the impact many of you have had. Looking back at when I first stumbled upon to this site as a high school senior/college freshman, I gathered more information on what I wanted to do as a Marine.

I am proud to say that as of this morning, I have completed all the necessary items to complete my package for OCS and to have my application be sent to the OCS Reviewing board for PLC Combined this March. Except a situation has arrived and it's regarding contracts, and this situation has the domino effect attached to its name.

Recently speaking with the SSGT who has been working with my application for my city's candidate office, I have run into a problem. As some of you may know from many older posts, I want to become a pilot and I've had my eye on an Air Contract for quite some time. This morning I found out that the last Air Contract for this coming board was taken by another candidate, According to the SSGT, It was taken this past week, however, I don't how accurate this detail is.

While speaking with the SSGT, he issued out many expressions using recruiting tactics. I know he's in it just for the numbers but of course, i don't want to be rude. He brought up an issue where he said that if I wanted to leave for OCS this summer, I'd have to take up a Ground contract. He said there's a catch to this.

I'm scheduled to take my ASTB this next coming month, and I've been studying for it for quite some time. He says for me to go with a ground contract, pass the ASTB, go to OCS, graduate OCS and then he'll be able to SWITCH The contract to an Air Contract.

I don't know how valid this process is, I don't know if it even is possible, but I had an idea myself, which I presented to him, but he still pushed that he wanted me to go to OCS for "himself selfishly" as he stated, which of course is wrong in my opinion.

My idea is to take the ASTB, pass it and then wait until March for when the old contracts for this coming class leave and the next contracts come in. By then, they'll already have all of my paperwork and my physical fitness will probably be even better than where it's at currently, and they can simply put my name in that slot for the new Air Contract, guaranteeing me a seat at flight school after OCS and TBS, However instead of doing PLC Combined, I'll be doing OCC, since after this PLC Combined group leaves the next one will be 2016. The OCC class will not leave until next summer, therefore I will not be leaving until next summer, which I have no problem patiently waiting, and instead I can train even more to be even more prepared for OCS.

The whole process of the application has been extremely smooth up to this point. I'm fully medically qualified with flying colors and have absolutely no waivers. The only thing that really rocked this whole process was the fact that the slot was taken before I got a chance to get it, but that's okay because, in order to be a successful leader and officer, you have to be flexible and understand that there's always another way.

I am asking all of you for your wisdom and guidance, as the decisions at this point in my processing will determine what happens throughout my career as an officer and what happens throughout these next 2 years. I'm very open to anyone who has any advice whatsoever and I thank you for taking the time to read this outrageously long message, it really does mean alot to me.

Thank you all again and have a wonderful day

DAVID B

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You have a history of nothing but outstanding posts and questions! See the PM I just sent you re: this question.

Have no knowledge of the process for officers to change contracts at a later date or, if that's even possible. Recruiters do get their marching orders (quotas) from higher headquarters - they don't just steer potential applicants in arbitrary directions. Meaning, they have little leeway in what they can promise or do. Will never accuse recruiters of lying. But, they have been known to stretch the truth some, not bring up potentially important details, etc. Recruiters afterall are trained salesmen. Here is an example:

On the enlisted side. One tactic recruiters use is, promising a poolee unhappy with their MOS category, they can change their MOS later to the one they want. Technically possible (so not a lie), but highly unlikely and rare. One can "request" a lateral move once hey have been at their permanent duty station for two years. Normally, lateral moves are used as reenlistment incentives to keep a good Marine from getting out when their current contract expires (normally after 4 years of service, not 2). And, lateral moves are used to balance MOS communities. Point is, lateral moves are not used to satisfy enlisted Marines unhappy with their current MOS. What this policy is for officers I have no idea.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input Top. I understand my recruiter has a job to do and I believe he has done an absolutely excellent job with my package and application. In the end, it really boils down to whether or not I want to attend OCS this summer or next summer. I would love to go this summer, but I don't know whether or not to trust the process of going in as a Ground Contract and then later on switching to an Air Contract.

A contract is a contract and depending on the circumstances, they're usually very rare to amend, especially with military contracts as you may know. Although he stated many times to me that this isn't the first time this has happened and that many people have undergone this process, again it brings me back to the topic that he may be stretching the truth a little bit, unless there is someone out there who has undergone this process.
    I'm looking to get in touch with some of the Officers on this site, I know I've seen a couple of them running around here from time to time, but again all advice is always welcome.

It's possible to switch contracts from ground to air after OCS. How easily it is done depends on how many are available after you're back. I guess it boils down to whether or not you're willing to gamble possibly doing 10 weeks for nothing.

The choice is yours. You can wait it out and hope something comes up, you can go to OCS on a contract that is yours to trade. Worst case is you want to be a pilot more than a you want to be a Marine, and drop from the program if you don't get switched to air.

Thanks for the input djj34. It definitely is not an easy decision for me to make. I know one thing for sure and that is that I am not backing down from becoming a Marine Pilot. Also, I tend to not think of the 10 weeks at OCS as something for nothing, instead I see it as 10 weeks of learning and pushing hard to earn the title.

But I'm glad to know that it is possible to switch. The only thing that questions me with this process of switching is if the contracts are binding, where if I do sign a ground contract for OCS, I will be in the ground branch when I commission. Not that there is any problem with this at all, but is this true?

So just as you said, pretty much the choice is mine, and I must decide whether I go through OCS now this coming summer with a Ground Contract or wait it out until next summer. But no matter what the decision, I want to become a Marine and I want to fly for the world's greatest fighting force.

If you have your heart setting on being a pilot, and you have a planned path to it (going next summer), then I would just do that. Its the rest of your life, not your recruiters. Just my .02

Mike

You can decline your commission up to the day you're supposed to take your oath. You'll **** off a lot of people, for sure, if you do that.

Sounds like you answered your your own question, though.

The one thing I do know for sure is that I will definitely never decline my commission if the time came. I've worked way too hard for way too long to have a moment like that encounter any kind of delay.

Mike, I think that's the best route for me honestly, It feels simpler than having to worry about switching at the end of OCS and it also will help get the worries of whether they're Air Contracts available.

This way when I go to OCS, I'll be able to solely focus on OCS and what I have to do to succeed and graduate. This I feel is the more important part of this whole decision.

I have very good confidence that my name will surely be one of the first to obtain one of the Air Contracts once the new contracts roll out this March, and All I would have to focus on is training and preparing for OCS to become the best candidate I can be out there,

I will be speaking with the Region's captain soon who is one of the main officer's in charge of the different OSS in my Area of the state, We'll more than likely just discuss this decision but mostly, i think my mind is made up already.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Also, as luck would have it, I met a recruiter a few weeks ago in a courthouse, and he just called me for some advice about someone who wants to join up, and I will mention your situation to him when he calls me again about it tonight. So you will have all of the above advice, plus another recruiter to speak with.

If your recruiter realizes you are serious that this is the only way you will go, than I'm sure he'll make it happen as you sound like a well rounded, qualified applicant. If not, the army has a much more straight-forward path to aviation.

Mike

Very interesting you say that Mike, I actually was offered a Warrant Officer program from the Army back in High School, but I turned it down because they weren't going to guarantee that I was going to get an Air slot and there were many complications in what they were saying they were going to do, as in my MOS. At the time, I was looking to go into the 160th SOAR, but then I realized my desire to become a Marine was much greater.

I think the recruiter will understand, and I think he'd much rather have an over prepared candidate attend OCS rather than someone who he has no guarantee on whether or not his candidate will make it, then again, they're no guarantees in life except death. Our office hasn't had much success with OCS Candidates lately. This past class we sent a total of 6 to PLC and only one made it all the way. the rest either dropped or medical. The one thing this recruiter emphasized the most was the fact that he wanted me to go for a more selfishly reason, in the fact that he wanted someone to come back and set the example for the rest who are undergoing the process.

Just a personal note since you mentioned medical. While stationed in Quantico we did a lot of running (surprise). Some of it was out at OCS along the trails and ridge lines. I developed a case of chronic compartment syndrome (overuse injury) which required surgery. I remember the orthopedic surgeons at Bethesda National Naval Medical Center telling me they were accustomed to diagnosing and treating that injury largely due to the candidates out at OCS. Gives you an idea of just how much running you'll do.

"I'll take OCS injuries for 500, Alex."

"The contributing reason why candidates are dropped from OCS."

"What are, 'running injuries?'"

From hip issues, to knee issues (and separations) all the way to compartment syndrome and shin splints, getting injured from running is probably the thing that will get you sent home the fastest, aside from cheating or lying.

Do they have a medical holding platoon for OCS, or if you get hurt do you just go back when you are better? Or are you DQd even if its something like a running injury that can be trained for in the future?

Just curious, not likely I'll be doing Marine OCS.

Mike

Thread Information