Chances of getting position at the DLI?
Create Post

Chances of getting position at the DLI?

Greetings to all,
    This is my first post so please excuse me if I do not adhere to any particular forum/chat rules, I apologize in advance.

I am a Poolee waiting to be shipped late next month. I've been waiting to leave for Intel for around 9 months now, and I had the opportunity to take my DLAB for a second time(I scored an 89 on the first go-around) and I scored a 103. I am currently ecstatic about just passing, although I am aware I still could not be chosen. I scored an 87 on my ASVAB as well. Linguist would 100% be my number one choice of job if I had say-so. So how do they go about choosing, and what are my odds of being chosen for a position at the DLI?

Similar Threads:

Nobody here can answer your question. You'll need to talk to your recruiter.

Good luck.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but your odds are not very high. I got a linguist contract from my recruiter because I scored a 135 on the DLAB as a poolee 2 years ago, and I am now a Chinese linguist. I've been at DLI, know what sort of people they take, and I have to tell you the lowest score I met was a guy with a 107. It's possible that there were lower scores there, but I'm not sure. The DLAB is not a great indicator of how good you would or wouldn't be at learning a language, but it is good enough that they feel pretty safe taking 115 and up, and would probably not consider a 100 when they have higher to choose from. That being said, I've seen people with 140 DLABs fail their language a few months in and 110s get a 3/3/2 on their DLPT. It's possible that they will take you based on the needs of DLI, but it's unlikely. You will find out at the end of MCT. Get psyched for an intel job, don't get too hung up on DLI. Happy to answer further questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Nobody here can answer your question. You'll need to talk to your recruiter.

Good luck.
    Thank you sir! I completely understand I'm at the lower end of the spectrum. The only reason I'm somewhat hopeful is that everyone I've spoken to who have high DLAB scores prefer Intel to a spot at the DLI. Out of curiosity though, if chosen, would they assign me to a 105< language, or ignore/waiver it and assign me to any language? Just need anything to think about, shipping in 6 days!

Quote Originally Posted by jcc21 View Post
    I don't want to rain on your parade, but your odds are not very high. I got a linguist contract from my recruiter because I scored a 135 on the DLAB as a poolee 2 years ago, and I am now a Chinese linguist. I've been at DLI, know what sort of people they take, and I have to tell you the lowest score I met was a guy with a 107. It's possible that there were lower scores there, but I'm not sure. The DLAB is not a great indicator of how good you would or wouldn't be at learning a language, but it is good enough that they feel pretty safe taking 115 and up, and would probably not consider a 100 when they have higher to choose from. That being said, I've seen people with 140 DLABs fail their language a few months in and 110s get a 3/3/2 on their DLPT. It's possible that they will take you based on the needs of DLI, but it's unlikely. You will find out at the end of MCT. Get psyched for an intel job, don't get too hung up on DLI. Happy to answer further questions.

Thank you sir! I completely understand I'm at the lower end of the spectrum. The only reason I'm somewhat hopeful is that everyone I've spoken to who have high DLAB scores prefer Intel to a spot at the DLI. Out of curiosity though, if chosen, would they assign me to a 105< language, or ignore/waiver it and assign me to any language? Just need anything to think about, shipping in 6 days! (Quoted wrong marine first)

you will be lucky if they accept you with a score that low to be honest. Your DLAB score for the most part dictates what language you will be able to get if it is low they arent going to throw you on an advanced language.

I am considering putting in a re-enlistment package for a LAT move into a linguist MOS, I was wondering if you could give me some information regarding:

Where I could get stationed with this MOS, what will my job actually entail, typical working hours in garrison, will I likely be attached to a grunt unit or be put with intel guys, etc.

Any personal experience or knowledge on the subject would be appreciated, also what it was like at language school in Monterrey. Basically anything practical, especially anything I could likely only find out from somebody who actually does the job as opposed to say a career planner.

Hey, a Marine from B'lair! Welcome aboard, jcc - I roam around central Maryland for work, and I know a few people from up your way (mostly customers). Drop me a note some time, we may have connections.

But back to the topic, my dad went to DLI (for the Army), a few years back, and he ended up sitting in West Berlin doing "stuff" that included being the guy assigned to drop a thermite grenade on the file cabinet if the Soviets ever came over the wall - I'd imagine it's a little different now!!

(yes, he was drafted a long time ago, and his language skills kept him out of Korea)

Anyway, that's all I can add.

Credits
    Savings
    ?
    does the Corps teach
    PigeonPiglatin ?

E-bates e-thay it-shay ta-outy e-may.

OP didn't say if English was his first language, only language or one of several. If you are fluent in a desirable language, I would imagine that might help.

English is my second language, my first was Portuguese (Brasil), and I am functionally literate in 5 more, none of them Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Korean, or Chinese. I was not offered an opportunity to take the DLAT. However, IF
    you can speak.read.write any of the last five, you can probably write your own ticket.

^^^learned some Brazilian Portuguese when I lived in Sao Paulo, Brazil (Detachment Commander of the MSG detachment there). MSG's must complete at least 100 hours of local language training provided by the Department of State (can take more if you want to). Came from Port au Prince, Haiti where they tried to teach me French. Learned Latin American Spanish when I was a MSG in Guatemala and Nicaragua. Never picked up much Japanese my two tours on Okinawa (never had to). They only taught us a couple phrases of Arabic when we deployed to Saudi Arabia for Desert Storm.

Thread Information