Do I have to sign an SOU?
Create Post

Do I have to sign an SOU?

o I enlisted back in November, and had a Recon contract, and my ship date was sometime in August. I started training in the pool, and realized that Recon is not the best choice for me at this moment in my life. Basically I decided to switch to Infantry. My recruiter told me it is all good, and I was locked in Infantry, which is why my ship date is now June 12th. I have asked them if I have to come and sign a contract for Infantry, and they tell me no I do not that I have already signed an SOU for infantry with the Recon contract. I am just making sure this sounds right, because I was screwed over by the Navy before when I was trying to get an EOD contract, and it has me kinda on edge when it comes to what Recruiters say. I just dont want to be getting ready to ship off at meps, and realize I do not have the Infantry contract I want.

Similar Threads:

Well what did you sign initially? My understanding of the "Recon Contract" is you are trained as a grunt and guaranteed an opportunity to go for the indoc for recon. Infantry is basically the precursor to this. When you went to MEPS they should have gone over this with you. Likewise, when you go to MEPS to leave for boot camp, they will go over this again.

Don't worry, nobody is ever "put into" recon.

Mike

I signed a recon contract initially, but had to wait a few weeks after I swore in to wait for it to open up. And I am not worried about being "put into recon", I am just worried of somehow being ****ed over and being stuck as an admin or cook for 4 years.

No recruiters here to offer advice. You will sign a final contract the same day you ship to bootcamp at MEPS again. Only advice I can give you is to make sure you read the MOS appendage to your contract and make sure it says what it's supposed to say before signing it. Believe it or not, many just trust their recruiter and never bother to read it.

Thread Information