Responsibilities of a Guide at a Recruiting Station
Create Post

Responsibilities of a Guide at a Recruiting Station

I just recently I swore into the Marines, and soon after I was elected as Guide. Though I have not been a poolee for more than a month, I'm known at my recruiting station for being there for over a year (had to drop some weight before I DEPd in). Being elected as the first female guide at my recruiting station, I want to make sure that I fully understand what is expected of me. Any tips or information would help out a bunch
    Thanks so much!

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Congratulations. I don't know exactly what's entailed in the position of Guide at a recruiting station, but whatever it is, it reflects highly on you. You should not hesitate to ask your recruiter about the exact duties and responsibilities involved.

Your recruiter should be able to tell you what's expected. Most of us here probably didn't even have guides at our recruiting stations when we joined
    And congrats!

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Nothing's simple anymore. Our recruiter signed us up, administered the oath, got us out of there. We probably spent, during a couple of meetings with the recruiter, about half an hour in his office. No need for fanfare in those days. Things were a little more practical and less elaborate. Everything was like that.

I was the "guide of the poolees" for a year or so before going to boot (was still in high school at the time).

First of all, it's always better to ask your recruiters or superiors once you are in the military if you don't know the answer. A good leader should always provide you with an answer or how to find that answer.

That said, my "responsibilities" consisted of the following
    1. Contacting other poolees and potential poolees prior to PT events and other events to pass along the details, as well as keeping track of who was planning on coming, needed to carpool, etc
    2. Leading the bi-weekly PT events, which included leading runs and planning the PT schedule
    3. Helping to keep an ear out for any problems other poolees were having that could effect their enlistment
    4. I also helped with calling people and canvasing

I will say I made some good friends in the poolee program, but I also felt like I was somewhat taken advantage of. I was told getting honorary PFC would be arranged, and this never materialized. I was happy to do it anyway at the time, but having risen through the ranks, been a Marine and so fourth, I realize I gave those recruiters an absolute ton of free help. I'm not going to say it wasn't reciprocated at all, but after knowing some of those guys for close to 2 years, I really have only kept in touch with one I knew in passing who is a genuinely great guy. My point. Don't work too hard unless you know they are doing something for you.

Mike

Recruiters making promises they can't/don't keep? Tell me it ain't so!

Hard to believe, I know, ha.

Mike

Thread Information