Do I have a chance?
Create Post

Unhappy Do I have a chance?

Hello, I really feel like joining the military is the next step I need to take in my life for many reasons. However, I know a have several potentially disqualifying attributes. The first and foremost being that I have been prescribed ADD medicine off and on since freshman year of high school all the way through this last year of college (fall of junior-semester). When my recruiter asked about medications and I told him this, he told me to basically never tell anyone in the recruitment process and told me to lie on the form. This was during a brief meeting and we have a full meeting tomorrow. I answered the questionnaire with no to ADD, but after further thought, and research that I would be committing a felony and entering service upon lies I have decided that I cannot lie about this or the other things that could disqualify me. The other things that would affect my enlistment is a onetime diagnosis of depression that was probably incorrect to begin with, and I used to recreationally smoke weed. Is there any chance that I could still join with waivers and proper documentation, or do I have no hope? I'm afraid one of these could be overcome but not combined. Thanks for any feedback.

P.S. How should I deal with a recruiter asking me to commit fraud?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Dak; 12-21-16 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Needed to add a question

Unfortunately, many recruiters place potential recruits in the position of being told to "shut up" about stuff. As a simple observation, this seems to be more the norm than many would think, that is to say many if not most Marines I know were told to or opted to "shut-up" about something early on in the enlistment process. Very few Marines bothered to go through the waiver process, or risk a DQ, and decided to take similar advice from their recruiters that you got from yours. This is unlawful obviously, and would not be advised.

As far as waivers are concerned, nobody can answer your question with any certainty. If you make the decision to be 100% honest on all the forms, you will need your recruiter to work with you on the waiver process. I would meet with your Doctor ASAP and get off the ADD medication, and remain off it until you graduate college. It will be helpful to demonstrate that you have graduated college without the need for medication your last 18 months I would think. Get documentation as to this as well (from your doctor).

As far as the weed goes... stop smoking it obviously. Discuss this further with your recruiter. Same with the depression. FWIW, I posted here about 10 years ago about needing a waiver for depression/anxiety from middle-school because I opted to disclose everything. I was easily granted a waiver, but this was 2007, and the USMC needed people more. Also, all cases and reviews are unique.

Mike

^^^this.

You can get a waiver for ADD meds but must prove you've been off them for at least 6 months. Marijuana use is also waiverable. There is no need for you to lie. Your recruiter just doesn't want to put the extra work in for multiple waivers (if they are meeting their quotas, there is no need for them to).

Understand. A waiver is a request for the Marine Corps to bypass policy on your behalf. If they are meeting their recruiting goals, they have zero reason to approve that request.

Our standard answer concerning lying here is to never do it (because we value integrity and, if you did happen to get caught later which happens, you would be kicked out with a fraudulent enlistment). But, like Mike said, what your recruiter is telling you to do is common, and plenty of Marines are serving today who did those exact same things.

I recommend you talk to your recruiter about this situation again. Have him explain the potential consequences (for him too as he would be relived from duties as a recruiter) if you decide to do what he says and get caught.

Good luck.

Thanks crazymjb & Tennessee Top. I fully disclosed everything and feel great in knowing I did the right thing. I just hope I get a chance to become a Marine now. The recruiter also seemed happy to do the waivers.

Thread Information