Is what I'm asking possible? Is it recommended?
Create Post

Is what I'm asking possible? Is it recommended?

First, I'd like to introduce myself. I've browsed this forum a million times for answers an each time I've gotten one. So I finally decided to make an account and ask my own questions.

I'm a 16 year old highschool student with plans on going to college and also serving our country. This year I've been drawn to this split program for the Army National Guard. Which means I get to go to basic training the summer of my junior year, and serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year for six years. I'm really considering this because it helps me with highschool AND college. The problem with this, is the fact that I've always wanted to be a Marine. Does the Corps offer anything like this? And if not, can I enlist in the Corps after my Army service? Any suggestions or extra information would be great.

Similar Threads:

Never heard of the split program but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You'll have to talk to a recruiter to find out for sure. You'll be eligible to talk to a recruiter when you turn 17.

Yes. We have Marines who previously served in other branches. They still have to complete USMC bootcamp. Not anything you can plan on happening - depends on the needs of the Marine Corps at that time. #1 target for recruiters is highschool seniors. Prior service personnel from other branches is at the bottom of the target list.

Good luck

We used to have a similar program called Split IADT. Ask your local Marine recruiter about it.

The biggest problem is when you initially join the military, you have an 8-year Military Service Obligation. So even though you join the National Guard for 4 years, you still owe the Army the other 4-years as an Individual Ready Reservist (IRR). In order to join the Marine Corps, the Army would have to release you from the IRR.

Like Tennessee Top said; it would depend on the needs of the Marine Corps and the needs of the Army. One to not need you any longer, and the other to need you.

Ok, this is what I found out if you want to join the Marine Corps Reserves. According to Marine Corps Order 1133.27, dated 11 Feb 2016, what you are looking for is called:

Incremental Initial Active Duty Training Program
    The IIADT is available for highly qualified applicants who are also enrolled in an educational institution. The program allows Marines to attend recruit training, military occupational speciality school, and Marine Combat Training during three consecutive summers as not to interfere with their education as described in enclosure (2).

I remember a couple of Marines at MCT who were doing this same thing. They went to boot camp the previous summer and were going through MCT with us when I went through. I know I am a little late to the show, but I can confirm that this is actually possible.

Thread Information