Ways to prepare?
Create Post

Ways to prepare?

Hello, I am in 9th grade, I want to enlist in the Marine Corps, I want to do more with my life, I have four years to prepare, any advice? What can I do to prepare myself? Mentally and Physically? I have thought about this decision, it's not just one you can just say, "Yeah I want to do that because it seems cool." This is something I genuinely want to do. Thank you all.

Similar Threads:

1. Stay in school and graduate. You need a highschool diploma to enlist. Get good grades and learn as much as possible (be a good student). You'll have to take the ASVAB entrance exam which is an aptitude test - more you know, higher you'll score. Your ASVAB test scores will determine what kind of job you can have in the Marine Corps. More technical jobs like aviation and intelligence require higher scores. Get low scores and you'll end up driving a truck, stocking a warehouse, or being a cook.

2. Stay away from drugs. The USMC has a zero drug tolerance policy.

3. No tattoos/piercings. Our tattoo policy changes when we change commandants. Best thing to do is just wait till you become a Marine and follow the current policy at that time. Male Marines are not allowed to have any body piercings of any kind.

4. Do not get your girlfriend pregnant (self explanatory).

5. Maintain a healthy weight and eat a balanced/healthy diet. The USMC has height/weight standards so if you're too fat or too skinny you won't be accepted. Also cannot have any chronic health issues like diabetes, asthma, etc.

6. Stay physically active. Participate in team sports if you can. Focus on upper body strength and cardio endurance. In order to ship to bootcamp, you'll have to pass the Initial Strength Test (IST) consisting of pull-ups/pushups, crunches, and a timed 1.5 mile run. To graduate from bootcamp, you'll have to pass the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) consisting of the same but the run is a timed 3 mile run.

7. Never get involved with law enforcement (traffic tickets, drugs, etc). You will have to pass a police background check. Depending on the type of job you want, you may need a Top Secret security clearance which will not be granted if you have a criminal record.

8. If not already involved. Consider joining a JROTC program, Eagle Scouts, etc to gain some type of leadership experience. You can be guaranteed automatic promotion to Private First Class out of bootcamp with these in your record.

Keep your pants zipped and a umbrella on if unzipped. Bust your butt to get the best grades you can as it will help you with the ASVAB, join wrestling if your school offers it, and try not to make stupid snap decisions that teenagers are all famous for as these might effect your future not only for the Marine Corps but your life in general. Set yourself apart now as the kid with a plan, the kid who is motivated, and the kid with a mission in life.

^ all good info.

I agree that it is good info; however I disagree that by getting low scores on the asvab will result in one becoming a truck driver,a stocker in a warehouse or becoming a cook; whereas those scoring higher will result in intelligence or aviation. Why not add grunts to that, using that analogy?

Those MOS's, in fact every MOS is important In the Marine Corps. When I was in the Corps; every MOS was valuable. It represented a position being held by a Marine; a position being held by someone who has earned the title; it didn't represent a low intelligence person.

Not everyone can be in intelligence or aviation and from first hand experience I witnessed a lot of dumb ass's in those MOS's.

ORDO AD CHAO

Yeah.... I qualified for EOD.... How dumb was I that I friggin loved it!!!! lol

Didn't mean any of those MOS's aren't important. Apologize if it came across that way. I was a dumb admin POG. Point is, higher ASVAB score you have, more MOS choices you have to choose from. Sorry I didn't make that point clearer.

Thread Information