Nervous about Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nervous about Boot Camp

I'm in the process of enlisting (Have to finish this quarter of college to get my credits) but I should be leaving in the first week of January if I can get it handled soon. I'm lacking in my running ability which I'm working on but I'm nervous I'll get sent to a PCP for not being good enough and I'm also worried about being homesick. Those are my two main worries and I'm not sure if they can be in the same post since I'm new here, but does anyone have any advice for either of them?

Similar Threads:

First have you talked to your recruiter ??
    Usually they give a pr-{PFT} test and tell you where need to improve on.. I've heard that every Recruiter can test you so I say go and try it..If you fail then he can help you..Good Luck..

Name:  Name Tag.png
Views: 1743
Size:  10.0 KB

Just a quick tidbit that will help you with run preparation. Google Hal Higdon's spring training plan and do what it says. You don't have a lot of time but if you start asap, you can get up to speed quicker than you thought.
    The homesickness I can't tell you how to deal with but to suck it up. You will be kept busy, very busy. So busy in fact you might find yourself embracing your new brothers, you will need to. If you are leaving a gal behind which I suspect you are, will be the worst part as it was for me, and not trying to wreck your World, but mine left me while in MCRD and you know what? The Eagle Globe and Anchor still meant more to me. So figure out your priorities before you even go to MEPS and you'll be just fine.

that first week I was very homesick as I was quit a mama's boy (even though my Father and uncles were Marines and so was my Brother), but after that and as we got into the flow of things it was gone, you will grow up in a hurry and won't have much time to think about it..

Give us a little more info - what do you mean you're "lacking in running ability?" You don't need to have a first class PFT in order to ship to MCRD - but it helps. The only way to get better at running is to run. You won't go to PCP if you pass the Initial PFT - which is only a 1.5 mile run. Of course, three-and-a-half weeks later you have to pass the full PFT at the end of first phase. In the end, this is all up to you.

03Mike, I'm just not a very strong runner. Last night I ran 1.5 miles in 15:38 and it was a huge push. I can do my pullups and crunches pretty well but running just isn't my strong suit. I'm worried about being able to pass the PFT at the end of first phase. I can basically kill myself to past the IST but I don't want to get stuck lagging behind because I can't run three miles. Madinfidel, I do have a girl and we've talked about things extensively. She's been helping me with my runs, keeping me on my diet and overall just making sure I do everything possible to earn my EGA. EGA is my highest priority but she's close behind it. I will enlist whether she wants me to or not, but I'm lucky in the respect that she is very faithful and supports me fully and has a plan to stay busy while I'm gone so she's not just moping around. I just don't want to be away from her for 7 months which will definitely suck.

You need to work on that run time, otherwise, you won't be homesick for long.

Yep! The Corp doesn't buy into the philosophy that everyone get's to pass the course
    because they participated. If you fail, the Corps sends your butt home; and when ou fail, you won't be given hot chocolate ad cookies, or therapy dogs. You lost and you're going home.

ORDO AD CHAO

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpius View Post
    03Mike, I'm just not a very strong runner. Last night I ran 1.5 miles in 15:38 and it was a huge push. I can do my pullups and crunches pretty well but running just isn't my strong suit. I'm worried about being able to pass the PFT at the end of first phase.

in recruit training you will be running all the time, and doing everything high speed, your conditioning will be worked on every day, and you will not go to recruit training until you meet the requirements

I can basically kill myself to past the IST but I don't want to get stuck lagging behind because I can't run three miles. Madinfidel, I do have a girl and we've talked about things extensively. She's been helping me with my runs, keeping me on my diet and overall just making sure I do everything possible to earn my EGA. EGA is my highest priority but she's close behind it. I will enlist whether she wants me to or not, but I'm lucky in the respect that she is very faithful and supports me fully and has a plan to stay busy while I'm gone so she's not just moping around. I just don't want to be away from her for 7 months which will definitely suck.
    be advised that it take a very special person to be the Girlfriend, or spouse of a service person, even more so of a Marine, the corps will always come first and foremost, She will have to accept that whole hardily..

I appreciate you guys being straightforward. I'm working hard on my run time I should be good and I've progressing quite fast already. I've dropped 100 pounds to get here so I'm busting my ass. As for my girl, I'm going reserves and she understands that the Corps will come first whenever needed.

I wish you all the best, and I think that after you get out of boot and as your career progresses that you will find like many of us did that MCRD was one of the greatest times of your life. I wasn't trying to imply your gal was going to leave you and I do apologize if I accidently insinuated it. I was giving worse case scenario and your recovery for it. I will give you a piece of advice though that my S.D.I shared with me many moons ago. Always wear your dog tags during sex and let them slap her in the face a little bit so she's always reminded of who you really belong to. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpius View Post
    03Mike, I'm just not a very strong runner. Last night I ran 1.5 miles in 15:38 and it was a huge push.
    Got bad news for you - that kind of run time on the IST is liable to send you from forming to PCP rather than let you start first phase (provided that you shipwith that run time). Admittedly, it’sbeen a long time since I was at MCRD, but pull-ups and crunches can only weighin but so much when we were deciding who went to PCP out of forming.I’m sure that the run minimums on the ISThave changed since I was there – so take it for what it’s worth.You have about a month before you ship –better be running 4 to 5 days a week now (with good running shoes).

The commanding general of MCRD used to come down for theISTs and would stand at the finish line – he’d have his aid take down the namesof those recruits who finished after a certain time and find out theirrecruiting station and recruiter’s name. You don’t want to be one of those recruits.

PT at MCRD is progressive – those who come in in good shapeget in better shape by pushing themselves. Those who come in and struggle have their work cut out for them – itwill dog you every day – and (this may be hard to believe) but recruit trainingis not very forgiving.Yes, the goal isto create a basically trained Marine who meets the minimum qualifications – butno one wants a Marine who meets minimum standards.

Might be time to have a heart-to-heart with your recruiter.

03Mike I appreciate the wisdom. I have had the heart to heart with my recruiter and he basically told me I need to get my **** together. I initially start running back in September and ended up with an injury and my doctor told me not to run for two months so I'm just getting back into running. I had ran twice before that run time. I'm already down below 15 minutes now. My guesstimated ship date is just a guess. He said I should be able to leave then if all goes well. Anytime in January is a possibility. I don't want to be THAT recruit and **** off everyone in my platoon as well as my recruiter and get him in any trouble. I appreciate the advice and this is why I Love the Marine Corps. Straight shooters.

Yep... Don't be that recruit... But your recruiter? He's a Marine so I won't be rude, but I wanted to kick mine in the nutts at least a dozen times before I left the island....

You have some hard work ahead, but you'll be ok. The main thing is you have to want it, I mean you really, really have to want to be a Marine. Motivation will get you through. You probably already know this, but just in case you don't...Marines don't quit. Good luck.

Thread Information