My chances of becoming a Marine Officer
Create Post

My chances of becoming a Marine Officer

Last week I spoke with an OSO recruiter, who explained to me how OCS works. He sent me back home to complete some forms, and I submitted it back to him the following day. The next day he called me, telling me that because my SAT's scores were below 1000 I won't be able to join. He recommended that I speak with a recruiter to schedule a test day to take the ASVAB at MEPS. I'm not sure how genuine this is, which is why I'm posting this for advice. I'll be graduating this December with a B.S. International Relations, and based on the PFT ranking I would place myself at 285. My GPA isn't too good either at 2.5, however I have done volunteering work and have no waivers. Any advice please? Thank you.

Similar Threads:

We don't have any recruiters (enlisted or OSO) around here AFAIK, but I'd listen to what the OSO told you - there are certain minimum standards for entry into the Corps, and things are very competitive and selective these days. It doesn't sound like you're going to have very good odds with a commission, honestly.

You could try going to an OSO office in a different area, they might have different quotas to fill, but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Not meaning to be harsh, just calling it like I see it.

GPA is going to hurt you big time. The OSO has no reason to BS or mislead you. I'd recommend you do/believe what they say. Was he asking you to go take the ASVAB to override your SAT scores?

GPA is going to keep you out of the running and that I can guarantee you. However, there is no reason why you can't smoke your ASVAB and get a really good opportunity in the Marine Corps. I have served under the best in the Corps, but by god, the NCOs make the clock tick. There are still great opportunities and as a recently retired NCO, I have learned leadership skills that I would gladly compare with any civilian in any field.

You have to understand that in the current circumstances, it is extremely competitive to become an officer of Marines. There are enough folks in the pipeline that they aren't looking at who they can accept as much as they are looking at who they have to weed out. Even with unnecessarily high standards, they still bring more candidates into OCS than they will commission.

Yeah my new ASVAV score would override my SAT scores. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea of this procedure. Or anyone in the same position, what options do you recommend?

Thread Information