Reserve with a Family
Create Post

Reserve with a Family

This friend of Marines was wondering if there were any Marines here who went into the Reserves with a family in tow. Also, if there are some of the fewer Few like that here, what obstacles did you have to overcome to complete your contract? For a husband and a father and a career man, what advice would you give before such a person considers enlisting in the Marine Corps Reserves?

Similar Threads:

Greetings all! Well the paperwork is rolling and the ball is rolling too. I reckon I'm getting in the shallows now. I'm waiting on something to be processed so I can have permission to go to MEPS. Even went to a poolee PT function last night and sweated it out a bit. The lingering question remains... what about the lady and the kids? It is beginning to get real and I am looking at leaving a good paycheck for 3 months of hell with purgatory to follow, then drill pay as a Reservist. Any advice for a family dude from someone with a family?

Your drill pay will just augment your full time paycheck/benefits. So, don't see a reason for any concern there. You'll receive active duty pay for two weeks every summer for Active Duty For Training (it's every summer while college students are out for summer break).

You will be paid active duty pay while at bootcamp, ITB/MCT, and MOS school. Don't know how to go about getting money to your wife to help but your recruiters deal with this all the time so they do.

Knowing you're going to be gone for 3 months, you should be saving every dime now and put in an account your wife has access to.

Consider getting a Power of Attorney for your wife just in case. This will allow her to make decisions in your absence. Obviously, you need a will, if you don't have one already.

Your only communication with your wife during bootcamp will be by snail mail. Make sure she understands it could be up to 2 weeks before she gets your first letter. You'll be no help to her so she'll need some kind of support system in your absence. After bootcamp, you will have your cellphone, but when you get to use it will be up to your instructors.

Obviously. Service in the Marine Corps means sacrifice. Active duty Marines (and their families) sacrifice more than reservists do (mostly due to long separations/training exercises).

Good luck.

Did you enlist?

Was getting waivers and paperwork pushed through and letting my motivation show to the recruiter. Was going to poolee functions and keeping abreast of all things PI and prepping. Then I sensed something was a going on. Originally I was told that OCS was no longer an option for me because the January class was filled up and I was "over the hill" for it. Recruiter said OSO had to call as part of the process since I had a degree and then tell me I was ineligible. A few weeks went by and there was a lull in processing paperwork. Papers got hung up, so I kept at the recruiter and he told me things kind of changed and I was told it's because OSO wanted to call me and get first dibs. He said he will respect whatever decision I choose to make. Got a call by an OSO to consider OCS. I never thought they'd want me, so I'm going to try for that route. It would definitely be a better route for my family and for myself at this point in life. I've been getting slayed running and working out trying to prep for whatever comes. This is all new to me, so I'm trying to learn and get overly prepared. I have to set up a formal interview for the next step. This is a game changer, and heck if it doesn't work out it's because I almost died trying!

You have the right attitude. Keep charging ahead, kick a$$, and take names.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Here we are. Long story short, a heck of a lot has happened the past few months and I'm waiting to hear from the selection board for OCC this summer. Everything checked out fine so far. Each week of preparation weighs on my mind and muscle. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Selected for OCS. Now a "candidate." I guess this thread can be retired. I'm going active and not reserves, if I make it. (Gee whiz, this is crazy.)

Congrats dude, it's going to be an adventure.

Mike

Thread Information