Thinking about enlisting
Create Post

Thinking about enlisting

I want to start off by apologizing if I posted this in the wrong sub-forum or area. However, I have a few questions for active duty/veteran marines.

I am 18 years old, recently graduated high school and just moved to the West Coast (LA County) from Boston by myself. I'm working full-time and not currently in school but I got about 30 credits at my local CC back home through a dual-enrollment program. I have been thinking a lot lately about the different options I have going into the future out here and what I want to do with myself. My parents want me to progress on to law school but I don't feel an urge or real passion for trial law like I used to. Lately I've been seriously considering enlisting in the Marine Corps as opposed to the Air Force, as I had previously wanted to become a pilot when I was younger. I have a few questions about the Corps that someone may be able to answer here.

What are the main differences between the Marine Corps and the Air Force? I've been told that the AF is more suited to individuals who excel in math and the STEM fields and want to progress on to careers in those areas. But I've also heard that the Marine Corps is more of a "authentic military experience" and you will forge a much closer bond with your fellow Marines and become much more invested as compared to the AF. I'm also aware that Marine Corps boot camp is a lot more strenuous and difficult than most other branches of the Armed Services, which interests me as I really think I need to challenge myself more and take risks that could have result in better outcomes.

1. What should I expect walking into a recruiter's office? When I discussed this with my dad he said I should be thoroughly knowledgeable on what I want out of my time in the Marine Corps, what they are going to ask me, and what I will need upon arriving. Can anyone give me some background information on that process?

2. What are your schooling options once enlisted? Are you allowed to take classes and gain college credits while in the Marine Corps? I am very interested in advancing myself academically but I also don't want to wait until I achieve a bachelor's to enlist, as I'll be 24.

3. What should I be doing to prep myself for basic and enlistment in general? I plan on speaking to a recruiter by next summer and by that point I'd like to be thoroughly knowledgeable and able to excel in basic physically and mentally.

4. Lastly, I'm gay (I'm not gonna join the Navy), but not outwardly gay at all. Nobody would be able to tell if I had not told them. However I don't want to spend my time enlisted keeping that secret in fear of it disrupting or making things awkward. How does acceptance of gay service members look nowadays?

Thank You,
    -B

(I didn't put any personal info on my profile because I'm new to the site and also don't know whether the site does anything with the info provided, like sell it. No offense)