Today's obviously-not-from a Marine question
Create Post

Today's obviously-not-from a Marine question

Hello USMC community,

What does it mean to "line up"? Does it involve standing at attention?

Specifically, if a group of recruits that is just getting to boot camp is ordered to get off the bus and "line up," what does that mean? This is in the pre-yellow footprints era so I'm not sure what kind of formation lining up entailed.

As always, thank you. I'm in awe of you all.

Similar Threads:

Since it's pre-yellow footprints, sounds like the means the receiving DI's used to form a platoon, or, just line the recruits up for roll call/head count. The yellow footprints just made that process quicker and easier.

A platoon consists of four squads (lines) as seen below. They could've started with one long line, and then broken it down into four squads.

This platoon is lined up in front of the receiving portals:

This platoon is standing on the yellow footprints in front of the receiving barracks:

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Since it's pre-yellow footprints, sounds like the means the receiving DI's used to form a platoon, or, just line the recruits up for roll call/head count. The yellow footprints just made that process quicker and easier.

A platoon consists of four squads (lines) as seen below. They could've started with one long line, and then broken it down into four squads.

This platoon is lined up in front of the receiving portals:

This platoon is standing on the yellow footprints in front of the receiving barracks:
    Thank you Tennessee Top, you are always so helpful. Even pre-yellow footprints, is it likely that recruits were taught to stand at attention during this initial line-up?

Yes. The position of attention is the very first movement taught (before anything else). All of these recruits are at the position of attention and they are fresh off the bus.

The yellow footprints just made that process quicker and easier. A platoon consists of four squads (lines) as seen below. computer network assignment
    They could've started with one long line, and then broken it down into four squads

I am pre-yellow footprints. I guess we were smarter back then and did not have to have pictures drawn for us. The fact is that the D.I. told us to get off the bus and I think he said to "FALL IN", but I was so scared that I don't remember much about the first two weeks of Boot camp. Whatever it was that he said i remember attempting to do it. Mostly there were a lot of grunts coming out of his mouth and besides he had a choke hold shape to his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post

I am pre-yellow footprints.

I guess we were smarter back then
    and did not have to have pictures drawn for us.

The fact is that the D.I. told us to get off the bus
    and I think he said to "FALL IN",

but I was so scared that I don't remember much
    about the first two weeks of Boot camp.

Whatever it was that he said
    I remember attempting to do it.

Mostly there were a lot of grunts coming out of his mouth
    and besides
    he had a choke hold shape to his hands.
    I dont remember ever seeing any "yellowFootprints" either-
    can not even remember WHO / it was that was inside the bus

Screaming for us to get out-