Hoping that someone can explain these pictures of MCRD SD in the 50s
Create Post

Hoping that someone can explain these pictures of MCRD SD in the 50s

Hello USMC Community,

I'm researching boot camp at MCRD SD in the 1950s. My great uncle went through boot camp in 1951 and was killed in the Korean War that same year.

I stumbled across pictures of what appear to be the entrance to maybe the receiving barracks at SD in the 50s? Does anyone recognize these or know what they are?

They are on this website:

http://www.grunt.com/blog/our-marine...l=*%7CEMAIL%7C*

Thank you!!!
    Greatniece

Similar Threads:

Yes. Receiving barracks. The yellow footprints are the giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Yes. Receiving barracks. The yellow footprints are the giveaway.
    I didn't even notice the yellow footprints because it's a black and white picture. Shoot. I thought I had found the pre-yellow footprints receiving barrack/area from the 1950s. No one I've talked to knows/remembers where receiving was pre-yellow footprints.

Thank you Tennessee Top!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatniece View Post
    I didn't even notice the yellow footprints because it's a black and white picture. Shoot. I thought I had found the pre-yellow footprints receiving barrack/area from the 1950s. No one I've talked to knows/remembers where receiving was pre-yellow footprints.

Thank you Tennessee Top!
    It was directly across the street from the Depot Theater. Busses stopped behind Receiving Barracks and unloaded future recruits. It was not the showplace that it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    It was directly across the street from the Depot Theater. Busses stopped behind Receiving Barracks and unloaded future recruits. It was not the showplace that it is today.
    Thank you, Old Marine. What did the Receiving Barracks look like? The MCRD SD museum thought they might have been a 2-story wooden building used during WW II for receiving.

A description would be so helpful because you are right, it was so different.

I don't remember what the Receiving Barracks looked like. It was dark when I got there. But......I remember all that happened there like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I don't remember what the Receiving Barracks looked like. It was dark when I got there. But......I remember all that happened there like it was yesterday.
    Mongoose, I would love to talk to you about your experiences at boot camp. Please let me know if I can message you

I didn`t realize that SD had yellow footprints in the early 50s, I went through PI in 1954 and there were no yellow footprints at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    I didn`t realize that SD had yellow footprints in the early 50s, I went through PI in 1954 and there were no yellow footprints at that time.
    Per the MCRD SD museum and veterans of that time, there were no yellow footprints. These pictures apparently aren't from the 50s like I thought. research fail

Silverdollar, I would love to talk to you about your experiences in bootcamp in the 50s. Please let me know if I can message you

Never saw a yellow footprint in 1953 when I arrived at MCRD, SD.

Maybe they had "YellowFootprints" on PI -1963-
    IF they did - I can't remember seeing them,,,,,
    my eyes must have been where they belonged.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Why you eyeballing Me

They where looking for their Raybans Ed lol

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    They where looking for their Raybans Ed lol
    The way we were. Looking cool in boot! Lol

yellow footprints on pi in 1965 .cant find anything on sd

Thread Information