DI's grass
Create Post

Thread: DI's grass

DI's grass

Hello USMC community,

I am researching boot camp during the 1950s (my great uncle went through MCRD SD in 1951 and was killed in the Korean War that same year). I've come across the term "DI's grass."

Is that a term that only the old corps used? What, exactly is it? How does a recruit know what the DI's grass is and that it is something he/she is not supposed to walk on or touch?

Thank you for answering what is probably a silly question.

Similar Threads:

When I was in bootcamp (1972), it was called "God's Country". It was just common knowledge where we recruits were allowed to be/walk and where we weren't - one only makes that mistake once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    When I was in bootcamp (1972), it was called "God's Country". It was just common knowledge where we recruits were allowed to be/walk and where we weren't - one only makes that mistake once.
    That is so interesting! Did DIS ever refer to it as "God's Country" or was it a term recruits used?

The ONLY term recruits used was " Aye Aye Sir"

^^^both.

Quote Originally Posted by mexbearlll View Post
    The ONLY term recruits used was " Aye Aye Sir"
    This is amazing. Love it.

During that time period mentioned by OP DI's GRASS was the ICE PLANT that was planted around each Quonset Hut at MCRD, San Diego. Recruits had to water it with their buckets and anywhere that it had not grown was raked.

ANY and all terminally learned in boot camp was learned from the Drill Instructors. They taught us how to talk, how to march, how to dress, how to eat, how to breath..... and on and on ad infinitum.

In our platoon, MCRD San Diego 1962, it was the Platoon Commander's (Senior Drill Instructor) "grass". It was also called "Ice Plant" and "Pickle Palms". Everything was theirs. "My Grass", "My Marine Corps", etc, etc. It was a whole different parallel universe.

One of you Pleasure Island boys correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think MCRD Parris Island had Ice Plant/Pickle Palms. I'm pretty sure it only grows in arid places like Southern California.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ice+july+010.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	30902

I remember painting rocks ...

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Gators of Parris Island

We Spitshined the Grinder w/the Heel of our Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by jerryd6818 View Post
    ANY and all terminally learned in boot camp was learned from the Drill Instructors. They taught us how to talk, how to march, how to dress, how to eat, how to breath..... and on and on ad infinitum.

In our platoon, MCRD San Diego 1962, it was the Platoon Commander's (Senior Drill Instructor) "grass". It was also called "Ice Plant" and "Pickle Palms". Everything was theirs. "My Grass", "My Marine Corps", etc, etc. It was a whole different parallel universe.

One of you Pleasure Island boys correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think MCRD Parris Island had Ice Plant/Pickle Palms. I'm pretty sure it only grows in arid places like Southern California.

Attachment 30902
    Thank you for this. Would a DI literally just be like "Stay off my fuc**** grass" as a general rule? I bet you all really hated those plants!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    During that time period mentioned by OP DI's GRASS was the ICE PLANT that was planted around each Quonset Hut at MCRD, San Diego. Recruits had to water it with their buckets and anywhere that it had not grown was raked.
    Was that a punishment for you guys or something recruits had to do all the time?

Thank you all, for the answers to my (inane) questions. I'm writing a screenplay about my great uncle's life and death in the Korean War. The only way to get any idea how DIs and recruits talked and lived is you all and a few memoirs Thank you so much

I guess your uncle was with the 1st Marine Division, which regiment?

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    I guess your uncle was with the 1st Marine Division, which regiment?
    7th Regiment. G Co., 3rd Bn.

Administrator Platinum Member madsox's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryd6818 View Post

You are correct, brother - no such plant in PI. The rest was, of course, the same. Even in 84, my year. I remember such timeless classics as "Get on My quarterdeck", "What the f*ck are you doing on My quarterdeck?", and "Did you just swat My Marine Corps horse fly?", among others...

At PI, "My grass" would just have translated to any grass down there, and of course it all was the DI's because, well, we were recruits. Lowest form of life on the planet and glad to be there in their universe!

Thread Information