Recruit's Suicide at Parris Islan
Create Post

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    At Parris Island in South Carolina, the Marine Corps’s oldest and most famous training center, the Third Recruit Training Battalion was called “the Thumping Third” — a nickname it earned through drill instructors’ reputation for dishing out physical abuse.
    “They see it as a badge of honor, like they were the only real Marines,” said Kate Germano, a retired lieutenant colonel who oversaw training of women at Parris Island.
    But in that atmosphere, a recent report from the Marine Corps found, a drill instructor under investigation for calling a Muslim recruit a “terrorist” and ordering him into a running clothes dryer where he was burned on his arm and neck, was kept in his job. The instructor later slapped, abused and harassed another Muslim recruit who jumped to his death from the barracks.

Credits
    Savings
    Scrutiny is in order. There is much to scrutinize about today's society. But most definitely not in the way most would be thinking of.

Interested to see the fall out from this one. Looks like more officer micro management for sure (the obvious message there is we enlisted cannot be trusted to do the job). Apparently, swearing an oath to an officer already wasn't enough. Wonder if we'll see yellow "stress cards" Army recruits can pull out any time they feel threatened.

Obviously, this incident cannot be taken lightly nor simply swept under the rug. Some will have to pay the piper, as a few already have. Question is, what will bootcamp look like after all the fall out. Will we still recognize it?

Credits
    Savings
    It is everyone's fault except the person(s) actually responsible. This is the New America.

Having been a graduate of PI's 3rd Batt I will admit that the DI's were very brutal much of the time. But, on the other hand, I have often said that they should have been 10 times tougher because of where they sent us. I learned coping skills that saved my life many times because of those animals and I do believe their motivation was to teach us all how to come home alive. Fist went through the 3rd shortly after me and I think he would agree with this.

It's a shame he had no guts. On the other hand ....Dave don't mislead young recruits . PI is not the oldest training center nor is it the most famous. MCRDSD was around many, many years before PI was used.

There wilol be many who walk the plank over this. If the recruits still had buckets and brush for clothes washing, this would not have happened. Blame the fool who installed the machines. Just saying..........

Consider the source; "The New York Times". Not exactly Pro Marine Corps. They quote the fired,yes, fired CO of 4th Bn as if she were a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Obviously, this incident cannot be taken lightly nor simply swept under the rug. Some will have to pay the piper, as a few already have. Question is, what will bootcamp look like after all the fall out. Will we still recognize it?
    TTop said it perfectly here - something definitely went wrong, but I hope to G-d it doesn't give the "let's change everything to be nice and happy for everybody" crowd enough leverage to fvck up boot camp for the Corps.

^^^heading down that road already with open gays and soon open transgenders. Dodged a bullet (for now anyway) with gender integration like the SECNAV wanted. I still expect to see that happen at some point - to appease the feminists. This current incident could possibly have a bearing on that as well. Everything is up for grabs and the USMC is being reactionary because of it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    It's a shame he had no guts. On the other hand ....Dave don't mislead young recruits . PI is not the oldest training center nor is it the most famous. MCRDSD was around many, many years before PI was used.
    GWAD.......
    they grow "Facepalms" on MCRDSD do they ?????

talk about re-writing history

I remember our drill instructors telling us if we want to commit suicide, cut with the vein, and not across it.

Thread Information