Aircraft Mechanics
Create Post

Question Aircraft Mechanics

Hello Marines today I switched my contract from infantry to aircraft mechanic simply because I wanted a skill/trade I can use if I ever decide to work in the civilian world. I originally wanted air crew because they actually fly in the aircraft but my ASVAB scores didn't cut it you need GT-110
    MM-105 but I have GT-109 MM-102 so my 3 point waiver would go to MM and I would be 1 point off Air crew, but my recruiter is actually a Aircraft mechanic on the CH-53e super stallion and he is also a tail gunner on the aircraft, he said to be able to fly you need to be very good at what you do and you can have a chance to fly. I would be OK with working on the aircraft for my first 5 then laterally moving to aircrew but I would like to know from any current or retired Aircrew or Mechanics how realistic is it to fly when you are a mechanic. Thank you for any answer Marines.

Similar Threads:

Can't answer your question.

But, my best friend was a mechanic on CH-53's. After he got out, he had a job waiting for him with Hughe's Helicopters in Ft Worth, TX and has been employed there for the last 20 years - great pay and excellent benefits. You will definitely learn a skill/trade that will translate to civilian aviation when you get out.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBlake View Post

Today I switched my contract from infantry
    to aircraft mechanic

simply because I wanted a skill/trade

I can use
    " IF " I ever decide to work
    in the civilian world.
    Pardon me
    I trashed the rest of your question
    and ask you kindly please .....

Why even consider trying to enter the
    US Marine Corps if you have no need
    to work ?

Thank you Marine

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    OP, you should consider PMing djj34, who is a Marine Corps pilot as we speak. He can give you some insight as to this. Ask him to take a look at your thread. Good luck to you.

Okay to start, I am a 6336 Avionics electrical systems technician on the KC-130J. When and if you make it to the school house in Pensacola you may have the opportunity to become aircrew without ever being a mech, aircrew is very high needs right now for certain aircraft because they rarely reenlist. To get the opportunity to become aircrew you are going to need a pretty decent PFT (260+) and CFT (290+) coming out of boot camp which should not be incredibly hard. If you obtain that and you get selected after you volunteer for NACCS (Naval Aircrew Candidate School) you will then need to be able to immediately pass the Aircrew PST which will consist of a 1.5 mile run in under 12:30 (11:30 needed to graduate) 2 minutes timed push-ups (they will need to be perfect they HATE Marines in that school house as it is mainly a Navy school. I believe the minimum to get in is 50 push-ups and around 60 to graduate I'm not 100% on that. The last thing on the test is 2 minutes of situps (not crunches) and the passing requirements is around the same as push-ups. IF you pass those requirements you will then need to take an aircrew physical that is much tougher than the MEPs physical. If you wear glasses you basically will only have the option of being aircrew on the c-130. You will then be required to pass the NACCS school house which is extremely difficult if you are not a GREAT swimmer you will not pass. It is literally 8 hours of nothing but PT and different levels of swim qual. The school house is 3 weeks long. I dropped do to breaking my leg during the second week. You will then go to SERE school at some point between there and hitting the fleet. At some point you will also go to your C school which I have heard is very tough I did not make it that far. If you are C-130s your C school is in little rock Arkansas at the AFB. If you do drop at any point you will not return to your originally contracted job, you will be needs of the Marine Corps. If you do manage to pass you will have a further year in the fleet before you will be able to obtain your wings, some never do. I have a very good friend that is a SGT in our aircrew that has been in 6 years and has not earned his do to being assigned to the fleet assistance program for nearly 4 years. Any further questions do not hesitate to ask. I don't know everything about aircrew but I have friends that do and I can find out for you.

^^^great answer Devil! Welcome to the forum.

One question needing explanation. Why don't they reenlist? Civilian opportunities, or cause they don't like it? Important for a poolee to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    ^^^great answer Devil! Welcome to the forum.

One question needing explanation. Why don't they reenlist? Civilian opportunities, or cause they don't like it? Important for a poolee to know.
    From what I know there are not that many civilian jobs that translate if any. Most don't reenlist because they get tired of the constant work, we don't have enough of them. Most of the guys are literally always gone and have zero time to do anything else besides work other than maybe a couple days a month when they are lucky enough not to get called in for a flight. Oh and be prepared if you do get the gig, us mechs absolutely HATE aircrew

Sounds right. With sequestration (Congress mandated budget and troop reductions), I imagine there aren't enough of any MOS today. Many get fed up and just get out as soon as they can. Add to that, many don't want to be part of the liberal social experiments being rammed down their throats either.

Thanks for all the replies Marines very helpful, thank you for your service

Thread Information