Best Duty Station....AirWingers
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Duty Station....AirWingers

Thinkin about this the other day, LTA Santa Ana, Great duty station...

I was in Supply, took care of HMMT-301/HMHT-302 as I remember, 1972....wasn't even any smog down that far then, and OCIR was still the place to be.

I also liked my time at Subic Bay 1973...we were on Cubi Point, don't remember the detachment I was assigned to, but being an F4J Fan, just loved standing at the end of the runway, watchin the Phantom leaving with both candles lit.......Awesome.

And who among us have not drank in every bar in Olongapo City?

Similar Threads:

Apparently I am the only Airwinger here or no one else had a favorite Duty Station.

Not an airwinger, but enjoyed my tour with MWSS-172 Oki 1991-1992.

Also had a tour with HHS, MCAS Cherry Point, but that wasn't as much fun.

Plenty of Bar Jumping time in Subic, but no where near all of 'em...

Before 73 though and then again around 77-79, 85-88 time frames...

Now, Subic is just another of those "POOF" gone spot's....

When I was at LTA , They called it MCAS Tustin, 82-83 as a Bulkman.

We were attached to the Wing but never considered ourselves part of the Wing. Best duty station was Ft. Bliss TX when I was in HAWK missile school. MCAS Cherry Point was good.

I was in MWCS-38 at MCAS El Toro, 82-84. That was a great assignment.

Jerryd6818 - Fort Bliss no longer has the air defense school. It moved to Fort Sill, OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TolzerVman View Post
    I was in MWCS-38 at MCAS El Toro, 82-84. That was a great assignment.

Jerryd6818 - Fort Bliss no longer has the air defense school. It moved to Fort Sill, OK.
    Shut the front door. Well, that sucks. Ft. Bliss was an excellent duty station. Terrific chow. No liberty cards. No fence. No front gate and right across the border from Juarez.

Ft. Sill looks to me like the Twenty-nine Palms of the central west. Of course there hasn't been any HAWK missiles since the mid '90s so I guess it makes no difference.

I think I'm the ONLY Marine that enjoyed Twentynine palms... If it wasn't in Ca. I would retire there. S/F

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I loved Oki, my dad was stationed there. Great place for family! My brother got to go back when he was with the wing. He also loves it there.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryd6818 View Post
    Shut the front door. Well, that sucks. Ft. Bliss was an excellent duty station. Terrific chow. No liberty cards. No fence. No front gate and right across the border from Juarez.

Ft. Sill looks to me like the Twenty-nine Palms of the central west. Of course there hasn't been any HAWK missiles since the mid '90s so I guess it makes no difference.
    A recruiter in my office said he absolutely loved Twenty-nine Palms. You and him are the only people Ive ever encountered who like that place.

I was at Bliss for Stinger school. Wow haven't thought about that place since 94. Got a tattoo on Dyer street and drank more than my fair share of buckets of beer at Spanky's in Juarez. Thanks for reminding me of that place. It was a pretty good time.

Was at Iwakuni Japan 64-65 1st MAW Hqs as chief legal clerk/court reporter. Best duty ever had. Would have shipped over if could have stayed in the Air Wing. My MOS kept promotions down plus we were limited to where we could go, my job would have almost always been on base hqs or division or wing hq. I had to extend my enlistment 4 months to get to Iwakuni then after I got there the Marine Corps extended it another 4 months due to Vietnam. Marine Corps HQs would not accept my volunteer months so I ended up with a total of 56 months in. Can't complain too much, loved the duty in Japan plus my job was one of the best in the Marine Corps as far as I was concerned. Did not join the Corps to be in an office but as everyone knows you don't always get what you want in the Corps, you get what they want, I was just lucky I enjoyed what I ended up with.

Born and raised in Long Branch,N.J.,moved to Danville,Vermont in 1988
    Credits
    Savings
    MCAAS Yuma,1960-1961.H&HS Squadron. Parachute Loft...great duty,Marines had
    taken over station from Air Force.It was great there,very few troops,good chow.

Thread Information