Is "Hollywood Marine" a compliment, an insult, or does it depend on who says it?
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Is "Hollywood Marine" a compliment, an insult, or does it depend on who says it?

My great uncle and grandfather were "Hollywood Marines" and I wondered how Marines view the term

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Either / or... depends on who and how the term is used....

Thank you. I guess I really have two questions:

Do Marines from Camp Pendleton ever refer to themselves as Hollywood Marines?

What is an example of when Hollywood Marine is a compliment?

Thank you for your help I am so honored to be on this forum.

Thank you. I guess I really have two questions:

Do Marines from Camp Pendleton ever refer to themselves as Hollywood Marines?

What is an example of when Hollywood Marine is a compliment?

Thank you for your help I am so honored to be on this forum.

Sorry for the duplicate post, I'm still getting used to the forum.

PI Marines used to use the term to describe us SD Marines as a rib, but when Marines got together it was then used as a point of reference as to where we graduated Boot camp.. in a friendly way..

The Proud, The Few, The Constitutional Marine
    Merry Christmas

"Friendly" ribbing is right. Nothing more than that.

It's all about the boot camp you went through. Marines only go to boot camp one of two places. Parris Island, SC (came first) and MCRD San Diego, CA (established second). Hollywood Marine refers to boot camp at MCRD San Diego. It's just a way of giving another Marine a ration of shirt, like when I refer to MCRD Parris Island, SC as "Pleasure Island". There is a good deal of (mostly) good natured rivalry between the two facilities.

And no, I've never seen anyone from Camp Pendleton referred to as a "Hollywood Marine".

SD Marines are Hollywood Marines.

PI Marines are REAL Marines.

Very simple to understand. I must admit from personal experience that "some" Hollywood Marines became great Marines.

Friendly ribbing, is all.

Hollywood Marines are known for being issued sunscreen and sunglasses (fictitious, they are not issued those items)--

---it's said in jest, never serious.

It's like calling someone a "boot" i.e. new guy or newer guy, a guy or gal who was in the Corps after you. If they were in the Corps one DAY after you, they are a boot, but it's strictly in fun.

Same thing with age old comments like "I've got more time in grade than you have in the Corps". All in fun. I've never seen any of those things used in a derogatory or insulting sense.

Re post 3, a question was when is Hollywood Marine a compliment. I don't think it is ever a "compliment" as such, just friendly rivalry between the two boot camps. When I was in, our DIs encouraged the rivalry, saying that if we couldn't hack it at Parris Island, maybe they would send us to San Diego where things would be a lot easier

Thank you so much.

This is great, thank you

It was a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC 2571 View Post
    It was a good question.
    My great uncle was a Marine and was killed in Korea on September 12, 1951. My grandfather was a Marine in Vietnam. I've always been and continue to be in awe of Marines.

I was speaking with a Korean veteran who had gone through PI and at one point he said with a good-natured laugh, "Ah, he was a Hollywood Marine!"

I think it is an extremely clever and good-natured label, but I'm not a Marine

Thread Information