Great niece of Marine KIA looking for information
Create Post

Great niece of Marine KIA looking for information

Dear USMC Community,

It is a privilege to be on this site. My great uncle was killed in the Punch Bowl in September of 1951. He was in the First Marines, 7th Marine Regiment, G Company.

For family history and a project I am working on, I am interested in any stories veterans have about the Korean War. I have also posted in the Korean War forum.

I am also interested in information about what my great uncle would have done as an enlisted Marine in boot camp at Camp Pendleton. Detailed stories welcome!

Thank you for your service.

Thank you,
    Greatniece

Similar Threads:

He went to bootcamp at either MCRD San Diego, CA or MCRD Parris Island, SC (those are the only two recruit depots). Can you narrow down which one it was?

He most likely went to Camp Pendleton for Infantry Training School (after bootcamp).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    He went to bootcamp at either MCRD San Diego, CA or MCRD Parris Island, SC (those are the only two recruit depots). Can you narrow down which one it was?

He most likely went to Camp Pendleton for Infantry Training School (after bootcamp).
    He went to MCRD San Diego then boot camp at Camp Pendleton.

I'm trying to figure out if boot camp then was similar to how it is now from my research (4 days of administration stuff and no sleep, Black Friday, etc.) In case I'm not able to get information from any veterans from the Korean War.

Thank you so much!

Vietnam and Desert Storm eras myself. Think there may be a couple Korean era veterans here.

Good luck.

Perhaps you could contact the MCRD Museum at MCRD San Diego. They have a fair amount of info on their website as well.

I don't believe boot camp has ever been on Camp Pendleton. At the time your uncle would have joined boot camp would have been in San Diego with rifle training at Camp Matthews (now part of UCSD).

Last edited by TigersGirl; 09-07-16 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typo

Thread Information